Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Bill Gates infects crowd with malaria

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    corona_coder

    Bill bought a jar full of misquitos to an event and let them roam around.  Lawsuits will start pouring in soon.

    Here are bills exact words " Malaria is spread by mosquitoes," Gates said while opening a jar on stage at a gathering known to attract technology kings, politicians, and Hollywood stars. "I brought some. Here I'll let them roam around. There is no reason only poor people should be infected.""

  • User profile image
    JeremyJ

    If you actually read the article it says that the mosquitoes DIDN'T have malaria.

  • User profile image
    intelman

    Wow he got misquoted. And the mosquitos do not have malaria.

    “I brought some mosquitoes - we’ll let them roam around the auditorium. There’s no reason only the poor should experience this…” Gates jokes. (Chris Anderson suggests the headline for this talk should be “Gates releases more bugs to the world”.) We’ve got some strategies for mitigating mosquitoes, notably bednets, which mothers and children should sleep under each night. Spraying the foundation of houses is also very effective. But if you use techniques like this only in a half-hearted fashion, you end up reducing death rates only modestly."

    http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2009/02/04/rebooting-bill-gates/

  • User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

    The person who started this thread is misinformed...

    about a lot of things.

  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    corona_coder is a baby eater.

  • User profile image
    Minh

    DCMonkey said:
    corona_coder is a baby eater.
    Could be worse. It could've been "Bill Gates infects crowd with syphilis"

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    Minh said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*
    Could be worse. It could've been "Bill Gates infects crowd with syphilis"
    I'm soooooo over this thread!

    Move along! Nothing to see here!

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    JeremyJ said:

    If you actually read the article it says that the mosquitoes DIDN'T have malaria.

    But they could of had bad aids!

  • User profile image
    Bass

    That's hardcore. +1 Bill Gates Smiley

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Bass said:
    That's hardcore. +1 Bill Gates Smiley
    ditto

  • User profile image
    Bass

    jamie said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    ditto

    Malaria is a kind of disease that the developed world doesn't give a rats * about because we managed to basically eradicate it (from North America and Europe) a long time ago. It is probably a lot less expensive then trying to control AIDS, but it can save like a million people per year. If Bill Gates will do to Malaria that the WHO did to Smallpox, he will be doing a great thing for humanity. This is a disease that has been killing and disfiguring people for millennia, and it could be gone for good.

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    Thanks for sharing the news again. Hope more people will care more about malaria in poor regions. I still don't care though. If their government don't care about their people, I am not going to help.

    Bill is healthier than Steve Jobs, so, I guess his donation helps a bit one the spiritual side.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    jamie

    magicalclick said:
    Thanks for sharing the news again. Hope more people will care more about malaria in poor regions. I still don't care though. If their government don't care about their people, I am not going to help.

    Bill is healthier than Steve Jobs, so, I guess his donation helps a bit one the spiritual side.
    ...not that i dont care... but i loved the fact that billg let a bunch of mosquitos loose on a ... well to do crowd...
    cool.

    ..in other news... ballmer launched 58 versions of Windows7 insisting he would grow revenue by any means possible

  • User profile image
    magicalclick

    jamie said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*
    ...not that i dont care... but i loved the fact that billg let a bunch of mosquitos loose on a ... well to do crowd...
    cool.

    ..in other news... ballmer launched 58 versions of Windows7 insisting he would grow revenue by any means possible
    Haha, it is sure a bold move. But, hey, mosquitos are inter-galactic almost extinct specices. You gotta feed them.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    In short, that was AWESOME!!!!  It sounds like something I would have done.  Good job Bill.  I wonder how many people crapped their pants before he told them the mosquito's didn't have Malaria.

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    rjdohnert said:
    In short, that was AWESOME!!!!  It sounds like something I would have done.  Good job Bill.  I wonder how many people crapped their pants before he told them the mosquito's didn't have Malaria.
    Hopefully no one. I'd expect everyone to have enough common sense to realize that Bill Gates wouldn't really risk infecting a lot of people including himself with Malaria.

    If I were him I would've released male mosquitos, considering only the females bite. Smiley

  • User profile image
    jujitsu_sic​kness

    Bill Gates @ TED2009

    As you can see from the talk, the FOX news article is a bit off.

    It was hardly a swarm of mosquitoes, just a couple in a small glass box.  He did not say "There is no reason only poor people should be infected," but rather he said: "There is no reason only poor people should have the experience."

    Finally he did not wait "a minute or so" to tell the audience they weren't infected, but after the cheering and applause died down, and that was roughly 20 seconds after he released them, he said they weren't infected.

    It's kinda sad that FOX reported something trivial like this, completely bypassing the whole message of the talk.  Why not write an article about the deaths caused by mosquitoes that *are* infected?

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Sven Groot said:
    rjdohnert said:
    *snip*
    Hopefully no one. I'd expect everyone to have enough common sense to realize that Bill Gates wouldn't really risk infecting a lot of people including himself with Malaria.

    If I were him I would've released male mosquitos, considering only the females bite. Smiley
    We also expect Beernutz to check facts, but we know that will never happen Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.