Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Vista Audio Workstation tweaks

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Sneezewort

Hi. I've just seen this and wondered if you could expand on the Vista issues you have experienced.

I am trying to run LE4 with Vista 32 and a Tascam US-144 audio interface. So far I have shut down all the usual Vista rubbish that comes up when you start the machine but I still get big chunks of audio dropping out / lots of popping in the cans when recording

I would really appreciate an idiots guide to "what to turn off in Vista"

• spivonious

What are the hardware specs on the machine?

• Sneezewort

spivonious said:

What are the hardware specs on the machine?

Sony Vaio - Intel(R) core 2 duo cpu, T7700 2.4 ghz, 2046MB RAM, Vista business 32 bit os. 176 GB HDD (Tosh MK2035GS 80A, NTFS file system type.

• DCMonkey

Optimizing Processor Scheduling for Background Processes is a common tweak if you are using ASIO drivers, as that subsystem is considered a background process by Windows. In the classic Control Panel on XP it's under System ->Advanced->Performance Settings->Advanced. I think the option is still there in Vista but I can't check right now.

Turning off networking is another. Disabling other sound cards in the system too. Turn off Search Indexing, Windows Defender scanning and any AV software.

• BlackTiger

Just use WinXP, seriously. Or even OSX.
    "Sound" - is far from Vista's strongest points.

If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • androidi

Have you tried the dpc latency checker?

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

On Win 7 it stays around 100 μs with most drivers being inbox. On Vista around 40  μs.

If it's jumping to red try to disable stuff. I found even just some 3rd party user mode stuff hanging in notification area made it stay constantly higher so I'm not going to suggest to disable this or that but most likely it's some driver causing the problem. Have you tried asio4all asio driver?

• androidi

! audio problems are unlikely to be solved with these changes unless there's some hdd/controller issue or lot of paging. ! (and if there are those issues maybe solve them before doing these optimizations)

And if you want to turn stuff off, here's a list I haven't really measured what benefits most but overall there's noticeable improvement: Page file, Defender. Have 8 GB of memory or you'll get issues with page file off.

warning: I don't recommend to turn those off. But since you asked. Smiley

• Koogle

"Just use WinXP, seriously." lol..totally agree.. for more reason than just this.

Its kinda ironic you've got problems with baseline audio in your laptop..its meant to be a Fista strongpoint of handling audio better through the CPU more with less requirement on certified dedicated audio hardware, just entry laptop sound/input etc.
    ---
    The Vista audio stack /changes and the shity Audiodg.exe process (even main crap sound dialog UI re-layout ie. burrying functionality like noobtards is stupid and counter intuitive, still same sh/t in Win7) pretty much zero benefit.. unlesss... oh wow individual application sound levels..thats not possible on XP at all Wink ...  didn't know all my media applications have there own built in sound control..wow thats so useful NOT.

I guess there is little point in buying a dedicated soundcards with advanced features anymore even just for games (although most of those seem to be crummy console ports anyway). I wonder how creative labs feel about that, not that I care they seem to be completely incompetant in fixing the *crackling* audio issues with there audio hardware and drives for Fista and sh/ty beta7, not that I completly blame them.. Anyway I'll be sure to spend more on gaining xtra CPU cores on my next hardware upgrade.. and well stay with my custom XPSP3 for even longer Tongue Out  At least I'll get more out the hardware/production software that doesn't waste cpu cycles for meaningless sh/t OS 'improvements' = noob changes and piss poor customization. Maybe in a few more years they might come out with an OS that doesn't have noob suckage written over just about everything in some way and there are more actual improvements to key OS components and features. Either that or there might be more third party developments that can be used to complete replace more of the default noob scrap. cough* Explorer.

• DCMonkey

Koogle said:
    "Just use WinXP, seriously." lol..totally agree.. for more reason than just this.

Its kinda ironic you've got problems with baseline audio in your laptop..its meant to be a Fista strongpoint of handling audio better through the CPU more with less requirement on certified dedicated audio hardware, just entry laptop sound/input etc.
    ---
    The Vista audio stack /changes and the shity Audiodg.exe process (even main crap sound dialog UI re-layout ie. burrying functionality like noobtards is stupid and counter intuitive, still same sh/t in Win7) pretty much zero benefit.. unlesss... oh wow individual application sound levels..thats not possible on XP at all Wink ...  didn't know all my media applications have there own built in sound control..wow thats so useful NOT.

I guess there is little point in buying a dedicated soundcards with advanced features anymore even just for games (although most of those seem to be crummy console ports anyway). I wonder how creative labs feel about that, not that I care they seem to be completely incompetant in fixing the *crackling* audio issues with there audio hardware and drives for Fista and sh/ty beta7, not that I completly blame them.. Anyway I'll be sure to spend more on gaining xtra CPU cores on my next hardware upgrade.. and well stay with my custom XPSP3 for even longer Tongue Out  At least I'll get more out the hardware/production software that doesn't waste cpu cycles for meaningless sh/t OS 'improvements' = noob changes and piss poor customization. Maybe in a few more years they might come out with an OS that doesn't have noob suckage written over just about everything in some way and there are more actual improvements to key OS components and features. Either that or there might be more third party developments that can be used to complete replace more of the default noob scrap. cough* Explorer.
    A couple of things.

- He's talking about audio recording software/hardware which usually doesn't use the higher level audio stack in Windows.
    - I didn't know your apps were able to provide per app volume controls to a central location in the UI in XP.
    - Are you this miserable in real life?

• Koogle

DCMonkey said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*
    A couple of things.

- He's talking about audio recording software/hardware which usually doesn't use the higher level audio stack in Windows.
    - I didn't know your apps were able to provide per app volume controls to a central location in the UI in XP.
    - Are you this miserable in real life?
    - my comments were just a general digg at the crap experience ppl have with vista & sound issues, excluding noobs, supposedly its a better experience for them.

- you don't look around much do you?..., such an app does exist to provide a central UI on app sounds unsurprisingly with MORE control and features. I'd rather have the better Xp sound dialog UI than use the Vista impementation+avoid all the other downsides. Also any application outputting sound generally provides its own sound control UI, with hotkey shortcuts to allow its indivual app control or other input methods... workflow wise its far quicker to hotkey control something like that, or go directly to it, or just setup a univeral mousegesture control over it. The vista central UI for individual app sounds is mostly feature fluff... probably some attempt at making all the vista audio changes seem somewhat worthwhile to an end user, even the Win7 audio improvements are well, lame.  And considering what got pushed back from the main sound central UI, for it, and that out of any piece of running software that's likely to generate sound that a user wasn't expecting,the biggest example being a web browser> tab>object .. lets for example say a flash object generating sound but poorly designed with no volume control built in came up < I'd rather be able to mute it directly from within the browser.. not open up the sound dialog look for the app/page/tab/guess title etc ..crap workflow. Its not that ablility to control indi-vidual volumes in one UI is a bad, it was about time actually!, but that in typical Windows fasion it was designed for noobs with a basic lame UI without much control over settings, and that overal all the other crap changes and side effects overshadow a small improvement, maybe in a few release cycles it might all get better and more worthwhile. Then again its been like 8years since XP came out and I'm looking at Win7 wondering WTF is going on.
    - LOL

• exoteric

androidi said:

Have you tried the dpc latency checker?

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

On Win 7 it stays around 100 μs with most drivers being inbox. On Vista around 40  μs.

If it's jumping to red try to disable stuff. I found even just some 3rd party user mode stuff hanging in notification area made it stay constantly higher so I'm not going to suggest to disable this or that but most likely it's some driver causing the problem. Have you tried asio4all asio driver?

A latency checker. Nice!

It worries me that it measures 7 latency higher than Vista latency. Supposedly that should be lower - but under what conditions, I wonder. Regardless, it should not be higher by default, even if it's possible to set some bits and schedule audio for real-time/pro-audio needs. [It performs at about 300 μs on my laptop but not having any data for Vista, that's almost useless.]

Koggle: I'm not sure how you can turn a feature like per-application volume control into an issue and call it "feature fluff". It, along with the master volume, puts the user in control: if the user, for some reason, can't find the application volume control - or if it doesn't even have a control, it performs a service to the user. So it's not so much a matter of the most convenient way to adjust audio in all cases, than having a volume master panel that you can reliably adjust. - At least that's how I see it.

• Sven Groot

Koogle said:

---

If you want people to take you seriously, I strongly suggest that you structure your arguments less like a rant, and avoid words such as noob. As it is, your style of writing makes you sound like an angry 13 year old and does not invite me to continue to read beyond the first paragraph. Any points you may have had completely lose their impact by the way you present them.

• dentaku

I've found that Vista's WDM/KS has better latency than ASIO with my Echo Mia MIDI but unfortunately Mia's 8.2 drivers have problems with WDM/KS in Sonar so I just stick with ASIO because I don't want to go back to the old 7.3 drivers which DO work in WMD/KS and Sonar but pop when playing regular audio in stuff like Media Player etc.
    I haven't found a reason to disable anything other than not using gadgets or an antivirus but then again I wouldn't be using those things even if I didn't use audio software. I also have my onboard sound disabled in the BIOS of course.

Now I must say that I haven't ever used this card for recording anything serious. I only use it for the better latency I get in in virtual instruments and Reason.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.