Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Yup ... we gots bugs ... we gots things to do better

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    lenn

Thanks to all of you who have shared your thoughts with us, told us what we can do better, and stepped out on the ledge with us in this experiment. 

The response blew away my wildest expectations.  This really is a group of 5 guys trying to do something new, and we had low expectations.

Where do we go from here?

1.) We are listening and taking in your bug reports.  Things need to get better in many areas from UI, to HTML quality, to random bugs.  We will post our next actions on the site on Wednesday. Help us prioritize.

2.) We are going to fix stuff ... welcome to the Web, fast fixes are easy.  Revision happens ...

3.) We are going to bring more and more content and get more of these guys on the site answering your questions.

Thanks again for the love AND the flames. 

• User profile image
    bshankle

Keep up the good work! I'm lovin' it!

• User profile image
    miies

Keep it up, looking forward to new content, fixes etc.

I must say, I started reading C9 yesterday and I'm already starting to get hooked: I keep refreshing the forum pages to check for new messages. Aaargh, help me!

Seriously, though: my first impression is really good. The combination of MS people opening up, and a community of friendly people who can have civilized discussions (haven't seen any trolls yet) is pure gold.

As said, the site could use some improvements but I'll wait for a while and see what modifications you'll do the next few days/weeks.

Cheers.

• User profile image
    sanatgersap​pa

Nice work, guys! I'm sure this website is going to get better and better.

• User profile image
    sanatgersap​pa

BTW, have you considered putting "Passport authentication" on this website?

• User profile image
    flotsky

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is the best looking Microsoft site that's ever worked in Opera for me.

• User profile image
    trendzetter

DAMN This site is ugly. Maybe you should just use the original php-cms that you tried to copy ?
    Also I am unable to add a topic.

• User profile image
    gmiley

I'm still currently absorbing the whole thing, but so far I like what I see. Maybe I will think up a more constructive and thought provoking post for a little bit later on but I'm running off of 3 hours of sleep and 4 cups of coffee so far... and its only 6:45am =/

• User profile image
    gmiley

sanatgersappa wrote:
    BTW, have you considered putting "Passport authentication" on this website?

I hope this was a joke.

• User profile image
    Manip

Please no passport authentication! Smiley

Wonderful site. I love it, I just hope someone is reading some of our posts. Just a little hope I have....

• User profile image
    Ewan

Great to see the site, I hope it succeeds.  Just one suggestion, though:  Could we lose the video on the front page and make them links instead?  Mozilla Firefox takes ages to load the page.  I'd hate to think what it is like for dial-up.

Or, you could always put tabbed-browsing, "click-to-view" for Flash, and ad-block options into IE, then I might be tempted back to the dark side... <g>

(With 2 spaces after the period, sorry Bill, old habits and all that.)

• User profile image
    miseldine

I agree with most of the above. It's looking like Channel 9 could be a superb community, and contrary to many opinions, I love the design...but then, I'm often told I have little taste Wink

• User profile image
    Gn0M3KInG

Hey, great site, except I can't seem to view any videos, so I feel like I'm losing a chunk of the "discussion" that's going on.  Maybe provide alternatives for people behind strict firewalls (i.e. downloadable videos) or I dunno...this is a discussion place - I'm throwin out this idea, someone else think of a solution!  Smiley

• User profile image
    lenn

Stay tuned Brother.  We are working on an offline video solution for the future.  Good stuff coming. Thanks for your post.

Gn0M3KInG wrote:

Hey, great site, except I can't seem to view any videos, so I feel like I'm losing a chunk of the "discussion" that's going on.  Maybe provide alternatives for people behind strict firewalls (i.e. downloadable videos) or I dunno...this is a discussion place - I'm throwin out this idea, someone else think of a solution!  Smiley

• User profile image
    submariner

Lenn... As a fellow Mac User, I'm having errors on pages with Windows Media files. In Safari, I either get errors for every video, or I get an option to externally open each and every video externally in WMP. Any chance somebody could make the videos to links instead of having the videos showing up on the page?

• User profile image
    lenn

You bet. We are working on better support for Mac and Linux users.  Give us a day or so and we will have this working. 

I don't have my Mac with me right now as I am in Redmond and my Mac is at home in California, send me a screen shot of what you are experiencing (lennp@microsoft.com).  I will send it to the devs.

• User profile image
    billy

I am using a Mac / Safari (but haven't tried to view any videos) but I do get a message on the home page about needing a plugin for some mplayer2 thingy, other than that, I'd say the site is working as expected. I actually fired up IE yesterday at work to check out a few videos, but I don't think I'll be doing that too often, so unless you guys can provide the videos in maybe at least one additional format (hey... you got Coke AND Pepsi for the Indigo team!), I guess I'll miss out on the videos, which might be a shame because I think I could listen to Bill Hill talk about dead flies for hours on end.
    Anyway, I've been sort of drifting away from MS for a couple of years now, but there is something about this site, or maybe the potential it has, that has my attention. Keep up the good work... I've always thought that if MS would jsut listen to me, they might actually get somewhere Smiley

• User profile image
    billy

Ok... so when I previewed my previous post, the
    tag was not escaped, however, when I actually submitted it, it showed up in the text of my post.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.