Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Yup ... we gots bugs ... we gots things to do better

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jtb

Hi,

lenn wrote:

1.) We are listening and taking in your bug reports.  Things need to get better in many areas from UI, to HTML quality, to random bugs.  We will post our next actions on the site on Wednesday. Help us prioritize.

and where should we post our bug reports?

I don't know any public MS-Bugtracker and just mailing them to MS seems to me no good idea -> I don't know what was already posted and most likly only send duplicates..

If we should post them here, a bug-forum would be great!

• User profile image
    billy

Oh, I think I see... you guys are using web forms. You need to implement a custom rederer that actually supports browsers that have an appropriate Javascript implementation rather than blindly using HTML 3.2 for any non IE browser... but the more I think about it, it seems like it must be a proprietary IE thing. Anyway, suffice it to say that you have effectively supported IE and Windows, but have not done a very good job of supporting Homo Sapien 1.0 Smiley

• User profile image
    XeusX

I LOVE the idea of a new way of opening the lines of communication between developers and the community.  This site has great potential.

Organization of Content into Categories (Dynamic Search Folders)

I do have a suggestion that I think would improve the site by an order of magnitude.  How about having some way to actually organize all the videos/posts/pictures into logical areas.  Content could exist in multiple areas, but it would make it easier for people to find the things they are interested in and talk about it.  If there is some discussion about the CLR, it would be great to see other discussions about the CLR.  If there is a discussion on what's wrong with markup languages, it would be fun to see some of the candid photos of Microsoft's web developers at work.

Bookmarks

It would be neat to allow us to personalize our own front page.  Maybe I like the things that one developer has to say.  It would be neat to login and see new posts from him or her.  Just personalization in general would be good.

• User profile image
    lenn

Many ways to share your feedback. 

1.) Send mail to channel9@microsoft.com

2.) Create a new topic and write about it so everyone can join in.

3.) Create an entry in the Wiki. 

Keep it coming guys.

• User profile image
    jonathanh

lenn wrote:
    3.) Create an entry in the Wiki.

Specifically, either add your bug to the Channel9Bugs page, or create a new page and then add a link to it from the bugs page.

• User profile image
    orcmid

This is a big place, lots of participants and such, and much tacit knowledge already.  I admire what you are doing.

About bugs, is there a place to report them?  I have a couple of usability issues, and I would be happy to use the mechanism for that if I could find it.  (You're not alone, I tried to report a MoinMoin bug and I was all over the map looking for the right place.)  So I am using this place, even if it is inappropriate.

OK, my first problem is that the video windows render weirdly and as a result other parts of a page, especially down the right-side pillar are obscured.  I can view videos fine, but looking down a forum is awkward and there are things I can't read at all.  (The poll about "how do you like it here" was almost not readable, for example.) - I did a screen shot but don't know how to attach it.

My second problem is a swiss-cheese problem with IE 6 on XP Pro, my firewall, and all of the technology I am sure you are proud to use.  I had to enable scripting here (my firewall defaults to no ads, session cookies only and no mobile code).  Now IE nags me constantly about allowing ActiveX on every page change.  For most sites I say no, for some I say yes. Unfortunately, unless I want to destroy the cheese, I can't do anything about that because IE won't let me site-specifically allow ActiveX unless the site is on a secure-transport connection.  You're not.  Most of the time declining to allow ActiveX works fine, because it is all about adware and rarely about content.  Here, I think the content doesn't work unless I say yes, but I hate having to do that constantly.  It is a bad habit.  You ask all of us to play nice and practice the 3S's or whatever they are, and then make content that forces bad habits. I'm sad about that. 

As I said, I like what you are doing here.

(You might guess what my answer to the do-you-run-as-admin question would be.)

• User profile image
    jeffsand

orcmid wrote:

About bugs, is there a place to report them?  I have a couple of usability issues, and I would be happy to use the mechanism for that if I could find it.  (You're not alone, I tried to report a MoinMoin bug and I was all over the map looking for the right place.)  So I am using this place, even if it is inappropriate.

The Channel9BugsWiki is a great place to see bugs that are being reported and to add more as you find them.   We're working to improve the experience on the variety of browser's that come here and also add links to download videos and view offline.

-Jeff

• User profile image
    nemisys

• User profile image
    Charles

orcmid wrote:

Here, I think the content doesn't work unless I say yes, but I hate having to do that constantly.  It is a bad habit. You ask all of us to play nice and practice the 3S's or whatever they are, and then make content that forces bad habits. I'm sad about that. 

Hi orcmid,

This is one of the reasons for the advent of security zones in IE: You have the ability to add certain sites that you trust as being friendly to the so-called Trusted Sites collection. IE will enable such things as the scripting of SAFE Active X controls in this zone  and you will no longer see the warning dialogues.

Thanks for the great feedback,

Charles

• User profile image
    orcmid

Thanks Charles. If IE 6 would allow me to do that, I would be happy.  Oh, IT DOES!!  I didn't think it would let me trust a site that isn't reached via a TLS connection.  I must have had that https box checked and not noticed, before.

So, I just enabled mobile code on the Channel 9 page and trusted you guys.  GREAT!!

Now I can raise the bar on Untrusted Internet sites (like MSN) so I can kill all of that ActiveX adware. For some reason, even though my firewall blocks mobile code on the visible URLs, I still get the invitation.  Heh, heh, take that you rascles!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.