Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Removing Old Volumes from WIndows Home Server

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

I know a few of you guys run a Windows Home Server at home, I am curious how you remove old volumes that do not exist anymore.

The smaller "F:" just died, and restored to a new 1TB drive (worked nicely btw). The "K:" drive is an old previous backup solution...

How can I get traces of these old volumes to just disappear?

• User profile image
    cynthia399

I think it shows because some of the data is retained in the backups for these drives.  I have the same thing happen on my whs.

• User profile image
    intelman

cynthia399 said:

I think it shows because some of the data is retained in the backups for these drives.  I have the same thing happen on my whs.

I"ve never backed up K:. K: was an external drive that I used to use to backup my PC, then I got the WHS server, I removed K: and attached it to the WHS for more storage. I guess it isn't too big of a deal, it is just kind of annoying.

• User profile image
    pathfinder

Uninstall the client.  Delete the cmputer from WHS and reinstall the client. Thats the only way that I know of. 

• User profile image
    dahat

I'd asked a co-worker about  this very thing last week and his response was:

To delete backups for these volumes, deselect the check box for required volumes and follow the wizard.

One limitation of the current UI is you will be prompted for deletion only if you uncheck a previously checked checkbox. The workaround to delete volumes which are already unchecked is to first check them, complete the wizard and then rerun the wizard and then uncheck them this time. You will now be provided with a screen asking if you want to delete backups for the unchecked volumes.
    Give that a try.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.