Coffeehouse Thread

47 posts

Windows 7 Cannot Come Soon Enough

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • intelman

I am a bit late on my thoughts on 7, but I feel obligated to share. I finally realized how great 7 was, when I was forced to use Vista Sad

So I am really bothered by Windows 7, it makes me hate. Microsoft gave us a taste of something that really is a vast improvement over Vista. I loved Vista, but I find it hard to love after using Windows 7. Why would I want to go back? Why am I still forced to use Vista? 

The instant search in Windows 7 truly is instant. I download a file, the index is updated. I delete a file, the index is updated. The UI is greatly improved . 

It is so pretty, so nice, so beautiful. Windows Desktop Search 4 in Vista cannot compare. I do not know why but in Vista I have never been able to search a file I just downloaded, I can do that in Windows 7. The start menu is perfect. I download skype setup, it finishes, I type in skype in the start menu, press enter, boom.

The Resource Manager is actually useful. 

This is certainly the most pretty section of the resource manager...it just works better than Vista.

Finally I can't live without the improved cleartype in Windows 7. I can read my online lecture slides, do online homework, and read for fun with greater ease. 

I am hoping whatever is released after Beta 1 I can use on my desktop for some hardcore gaming. Microsoft has succeded, but I really think they just made Vista look really bad, I really hate to use it now.

• Koogle

well I couldn't careless about win7.. truly crap, specially explorer

"The UI is greatly improved" you is a nub.

• Yggdrasil

Koogle said:

nub  (nb)
    n.
    1. A protuberance or knob.
    2. A small lump.

You know, that's not a very nice thing to say.

• ManipUni

Windows 7 looks as if it might be an improvement in some areas (namely speed) but I'm not a huge fan of the new Explorer. Why oh why did they remove classic mode? Evil people...

• DCMonkey

Koogle said:

At least the Windoiws 7 Explorer seems to actually remember view and window size settings.

• Charles

Koogle said:

Be respectful. Express your opinions without insulting others.

Yellow card, Koogle.
    C

• Sabot

Charles said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

Yellow card, Koogle.
    C
    I'm loving Windows 7, I have to say a great deal of thought has gone into it and it shows.

I'm actually happy with the new explorer, I thnk because it takes me straight to where I want to go rather than starting at the C: and drilling down and less options is more in my book, I hate clutter!

• spivonious

7 is a mixed bag for me.

Every time I come back from sleep, my wireless card will not reconnect.  I am forced to run through the troubleshooter to reset the connection (is there a way to do this directly?), after which it always works fine.  This causes overnight home server backups to not run, windows update to never check for updates, and just general headaches such as trying to use remote access for that machine (as it won't wake itself up if it's not connected).

The same card, same driver works fine in Vista, albeit takes much longer to resume from sleep.

I'm seriously thinking of going back to Vista, as the only real improvement in 7 that I like is the libraries feature.  Maybe once I go back I'll realize lots of things that I was missing, but I doubt it.

• PaoloM

The start menu is perfect.

/me giggles Smiley

• Koogle

1 step forward.. (x) steps backwards or to the side.

x = I really couldn't even count the number stupid things added(slapped on with little care to details) /changed or removed in Explorer. let alone all the things it should be capable of doing by now.. my guess is its designed by complete idiots with the sole target of nubify nubify nubify. Maybe they all work in the same building as the IE team.. it would all make sense then.

And the command bar is absolute sh/t, a non customizable pile of crap, a waste of space, its like the same non customizable sh/t that was the common tasks in XP. I shouldn't forget to mention the "locked" cannot be removed or replaced!... shitcrumb bar, and lame search (not a replacement for well designed sidebar search UI to make more advanced searches easier to create & modify etc ) -idiots.

Really the Explorer deserves an entire article pointing out the all bad design and lacking areas, it just gets it wrong in so many areas & ways, and most of what little crap amount of customizing there is requires finding reg hacks aargh.  I just want to pull it out the screen and squash into a paper ball to throw into a bin.

"You know, that's not a very nice thing to say." 

i must have used a different dictionary... but anyone who can say that UI... is greatly improved, cleary doesn't have clue. I don't mean to be harsh but it just comes out that way. I can't stand working with this nub junk.

"

The start menu is perfect."

No its not!.. aargh screw it waste of time here.

• PaoloM

Koogle said:

x = I really couldn't even count the number stupid things added(slapped on with little care to details) /changed or removed in Explorer. let alone all the things it should be capable of doing by now.. my guess is its designed by complete idiots with the sole target of nubify nubify nubify. Maybe they all work in the same building as the IE team.. it would all make sense then.

And the command bar is absolute sh/t, a non customizable pile of crap, a waste of space, its like the same non customizable sh/t that was the common tasks in XP. I shouldn't forget to mention the "locked" cannot be removed or replaced!... shitcrumb bar, and lame search (not a replacement for well designed sidebar search UI to make more advanced searches easier to create & modify etc ) -idiots.

Really the Explorer deserves an entire article pointing out the all bad design and lacking areas, it just gets it wrong in so many areas & ways, and most of what little crap amount of customizing there is requires finding reg hacks aargh.  I just want to pull it out the screen and squash into a paper ball to throw into a bin.

i must have used a different dictionary... but anyone who can say that UI... is greatly improved, cleary doesn't have clue. I don't mean to be harsh but it just comes out that way. I can't stand working with this nub junk.

"

What part of

Yellow card, Koogle.

Was that hard to read?

• Koogle

PaoloM said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

Was that hard to read?

I had started the reply earlier, and left it on tab for a while before posting.. didn't see my 'yellow card' .. besides neither of these: 

1. A protuberance or knob.
    2. A small lump.

was the intended insult, wasn't really even a personal insult tbh. And lol @who gets a dictionary to understand the meaning slang term of a nub.. jeesh

• stevo_

Koogle said:

Freak.

• Koogle

stevo_ said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

Freak.

was that an insult?

• stevo_

Koogle said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    was that an insult?
    Clearly.

• Koogle

stevo_ said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*
    Clearly.
    I suppose if you suck up enough you won't get a yellow card

• ManipUni

I am slightly annoyed that I cannot lock certain items to the task bar like Run for example...

• PaoloM

Koogle said:

"

(not a replacement for well designed sidebar search UI to make more advanced searches easier to create & modify etc )

I don't understand this. You can create incredibly complex and powerful search queries in any search box... Do you need something a bit easier? Training wheels? Some handholding?

Why do you need "easy"? Doesn't it sound like... demeaning or something?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.