Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Gazelle

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bas

Microsoft Research came up with something called Gazelle, a "secure web browser constructed as a multi-principal OS." Apparently the browser kernel is an operating system. Go figure. From what I can tell, in a nutshell, nothing is in direct contact with the main OS anymore, so plugins won't provide attack vectors any more.

Can we get an interview/demo/whiteboarding video of this? Sounds pretty good.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Pretty nifty...  sounds slow, though.  Also would require existing plugins to be rewritten (as they can't directly access the OS anymore) which would be problematic (example:  Adobe hasn't even released a 64-bit version of Flash yet, and if their code's in good shape, that should only consist of a simple recompile).

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Sounds like pretty much every sand-boxed plugin/addon solution for the last twenty years (e.g. Java, Flash).

• User profile image
    OnlyJack

Any browser that unlike IE7 doesn't make flash call its stupid external utility dozens of times when running in a limited user account making the cursor blink like it's having an epileptic seizure and increasing the page load time exponentially would be really appreciated.

• User profile image
    GlassX

Sounds like Google Chrome done wrong...

Sandboxing isn't the answer to everything, why don't we just remove those stupid plugins? 99% of the internet only uses Flash, anyway... ("to use" meaning "to really use", not to download once and never touch it again - like Silverlight)

• User profile image
    Charles

GlassX said:
    Sounds like Google Chrome done wrong...

Sandboxing isn't the answer to everything, why don't we just remove those stupid plugins? 99% of the internet only uses Flash, anyway... ("to use" meaning "to really use", not to download once and never touch it again - like Silverlight)
    Anybody actually read the paper and think about it?
    C

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Charles said:
    GlassX said:
    *snip*
    C
    Really, Charles. This is the Coffeehouse, not the actually-read-the-paper-and-have-an-informed-opinion-house. Bullshitting is what we do here. As for me,  I hear that Gazelle is nothing more than a thin wrapper around Duke Nukem Forever. That's my version and I'm sticking to it.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Yggdrasil said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*
    Really, Charles. This is the Coffeehouse, not the actually-read-the-paper-and-have-an-informed-opinion-house. Bullshitting is what we do here. As for me,  I hear that Gazelle is nothing more than a thin wrapper around Duke Nukem Forever. That's my version and I'm sticking to it.
    I lol'd

• User profile image
    Bas

Charles said:
    GlassX said:
    *snip*
    C

All the more reason to shoot a video if you ask me.

• User profile image
    Charles

Bas said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

All the more reason to shoot a video if you ask me.

This is on the books Wink
    C

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Charles said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    This is on the books Wink
    C

How about the Dryad video I requested a while ago? Any idea if that's going to happen? Pretty please? Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.