Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Gazelle

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bas

    Microsoft Research came up with something called Gazelle, a "secure web browser constructed as a multi-principal OS." Apparently the browser kernel is an operating system. Go figure. From what I can tell, in a nutshell, nothing is in direct contact with the main OS anymore, so plugins won't provide attack vectors any more.

    Can we get an interview/demo/whiteboarding video of this? Sounds pretty good.

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Pretty nifty...  sounds slow, though.  Also would require existing plugins to be rewritten (as they can't directly access the OS anymore) which would be problematic (example:  Adobe hasn't even released a 64-bit version of Flash yet, and if their code's in good shape, that should only consist of a simple recompile).

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    Sounds like pretty much every sand-boxed plugin/addon solution for the last twenty years (e.g. Java, Flash).

  • User profile image
    OnlyJack

    Any browser that unlike IE7 doesn't make flash call its stupid external utility dozens of times when running in a limited user account making the cursor blink like it's having an epileptic seizure and increasing the page load time exponentially would be really appreciated.

  • User profile image
    GlassX

    Sounds like Google Chrome done wrong...


    Sandboxing isn't the answer to everything, why don't we just remove those stupid plugins? 99% of the internet only uses Flash, anyway... ("to use" meaning "to really use", not to download once and never touch it again - like Silverlight)

  • User profile image
    Charles

    GlassX said:
    Sounds like Google Chrome done wrong...

    Sandboxing isn't the answer to everything, why don't we just remove those stupid plugins? 99% of the internet only uses Flash, anyway... ("to use" meaning "to really use", not to download once and never touch it again - like Silverlight)
    Anybody actually read the paper and think about it?
    C

  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

    Charles said:
    GlassX said:
    *snip*
    Anybody actually read the paper and think about it?
    C
    Really, Charles. This is the Coffeehouse, not the actually-read-the-paper-and-have-an-informed-opinion-house. Bullshitting is what we do here. As for me,  I hear that Gazelle is nothing more than a thin wrapper around Duke Nukem Forever. That's my version and I'm sticking to it.

  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

    Yggdrasil said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*
    Really, Charles. This is the Coffeehouse, not the actually-read-the-paper-and-have-an-informed-opinion-house. Bullshitting is what we do here. As for me,  I hear that Gazelle is nothing more than a thin wrapper around Duke Nukem Forever. That's my version and I'm sticking to it.
    I lol'd

  • User profile image
    Bas

    Charles said:
    GlassX said:
    *snip*
    Anybody actually read the paper and think about it?
    C

    All the more reason to shoot a video if you ask me.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    Bas said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

    All the more reason to shoot a video if you ask me.

    This is on the books Wink
    C

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    Charles said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    This is on the books Wink
    C

    How about the Dryad video I requested a while ago? Any idea if that's going to happen? Pretty please? Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.