Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ubuntu: shot over the bow..

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

    "The desktop will have a designer's fingerprints all over it - we're now beginning the serious push to a new look. Brown has served us well but the Koala is considering other options."

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-19413_3-10168951-240.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10169249-62.html?tag=newsLatestHeadlinesArea.0


    linux - that looks good - coming soon.  ready?

    (*can it run corel and photoshop and frontpage?)

    How much is win7 going to be again?

  • User profile image
    OnlyJack

    (*can it run corel and photoshop and frontpage?)

    I would consider NOT running frontpage a feature: 1998 just called and said it wants its ugly frontpage-themed websites with all those giant useless image buttons that change look when you hover them back. Same for the oh-paint-shop-pro-is-too-pretty-so-we-have-to-buy-and-destroy-it Corel products.

  • User profile image
    jamie

    OnlyJack said:
    (*can it run corel and photoshop and frontpage?)

    I would consider NOT running frontpage a feature: 1998 just called and said it wants its ugly frontpage-themed websites with all those giant useless image buttons that change look when you hover them back. Same for the oh-paint-shop-pro-is-too-pretty-so-we-have-to-buy-and-destroy-it Corel products.
    good. you do that.

    fp is a great app. expression web is a crap app.
    corel rocks  - illustrator is for idiots (except w3bbo is allowed to use it as he seems to like eps's or something from the 80's - postscript rips?

    to each his own

    ps - ubuntu is ...coming  (arnt they the ones with the COOL non corporate desktop - already?)
    cant wait.  wonder what the price will be.  hopefully free - or enough to make windows 50 bucks - for the one version everyone wants - not $499 at staples

    ok - im done being in a pissy mood now. Smiley

    ah much better.  what a nice day it is!

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    jamie said:
    OnlyJack said:
    *snip*
    good. you do that.

    fp is a great app. expression web is a crap app.
    corel rocks  - illustrator is for idiots (except w3bbo is allowed to use it as he seems to like eps's or something from the 80's - postscript rips?

    to each his own

    ps - ubuntu is ...coming  (arnt they the ones with the COOL non corporate desktop - already?)
    cant wait.  wonder what the price will be.  hopefully free - or enough to make windows 50 bucks - for the one version everyone wants - not $499 at staples

    ok - im done being in a pissy mood now. Smiley

    ah much better.  what a nice day it is!
    Not worried about the Cloud Computing angle

    ... for a business point of view, why would you want to put any data with services that haven't published SLA's?

    ... also where is your data actually being kept? Are you happy if Amazon, Google, Microsoft host services externally?

    ... you'll never really know where your data actually is and who is looking at it?

    ... and this is a real problem for US based companies as nothing from stopping externally hosted services going and placing data in countries that are 'friendly' but offer cheap IT.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    You can run Windows XP on top of Virtualbox to run Windows apps, and that'll run basically anything that doesn't require heavy 3d acceleration.

  • User profile image
    Erisan

    Hmmph... I don't quite understand a buzz around Ubuntu :-/. Well... on the other hand Canonical/Ubuntu has done very good job to gather a large community around it, but I still think that Fedora is much more interesting distribution.

    Fedora 11 - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/FeatureList

    [OT] FOSDEM 2009 videos/slides: http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2009/fosdem/

  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

    Erisan said:
    Hmmph... I don't quite understand a buzz around Ubuntu :-/. Well... on the other hand Canonical/Ubuntu has done very good job to gather a large community around it, but I still think that Fedora is much more interesting distribution.

    Fedora 11 - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/FeatureList

    [OT] FOSDEM 2009 videos/slides: http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2009/fosdem/
    Fedora is much more interesting in terms of bleeding-edge features, but Ubuntu has hit a sweet spot when it comes to real-world usability and stability.  Ubuntu is usually more conservative when it comes to integrating new packages and features (something that probably stems from their Debian roots, although they're nowhere near as conservative as Debian), while Fedora tends to adopt new functionality while it's still experimental.

    Ubuntu's also gotten big because they have the largest selection of packages available for any distribution out of the box--  Ubuntu includes community repositories by default, which means that virtually every peice of software out there for Linux is available for easy installation without having to add third-party repositories (e.g. Livna for Fedora or PackMan for SUSE).  Ubuntu has also taken a pretty liberal, inclusive approach toward non-OSS drivers and software, with things like proprietary firmware (like that required for Intel wireless cards) included on-disc and proprietary display drivers and the like available for one-click download and installation via the proprietary drivers manager.  This means that more hardware works without lots of tweaking and tracking down third-party drivers.

  • User profile image
    Erisan

    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Erisan said:
    *snip*
    Fedora is much more interesting in terms of bleeding-edge features, but Ubuntu has hit a sweet spot when it comes to real-world usability and stability.  Ubuntu is usually more conservative when it comes to integrating new packages and features (something that probably stems from their Debian roots, although they're nowhere near as conservative as Debian), while Fedora tends to adopt new functionality while it's still experimental.

    Ubuntu's also gotten big because they have the largest selection of packages available for any distribution out of the box--  Ubuntu includes community repositories by default, which means that virtually every peice of software out there for Linux is available for easy installation without having to add third-party repositories (e.g. Livna for Fedora or PackMan for SUSE).  Ubuntu has also taken a pretty liberal, inclusive approach toward non-OSS drivers and software, with things like proprietary firmware (like that required for Intel wireless cards) included on-disc and proprietary display drivers and the like available for one-click download and installation via the proprietary drivers manager.  This means that more hardware works without lots of tweaking and tracking down third-party drivers.
    Yeah true. I'm just frustrated that Fedora doesn't usually get the attention that I think it deserves. Well, they doesn't support closed source software which makes them usually look bad in reviews. I think it a bit sad. Fedora's release cycle is also too fast for "normal users". Every versions are only supported about  12 month.

    As Max Spevack said in his FOSDEM presentation Ubuntu and Fedora has different user base so they are not direct "competitors".

    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2009-February/msg00028.html:
    > I am wondering, how Ubuntu make this third-party repo and packages
    > installation easier. If they can, why we can´t?

    Basically Law.
    Fedora = USA Based. (patented Software inforce)
    Ubuntu = EU Based (Illegal to patent software)

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    Wow yea if ubuntu looks fancy everyones gonna jump ship to sit playing with pretty command line all day..

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    The question is whether or not they've yet understood that it's not enough to look pretty, it actually needs to be usable and consistent as well. I'd really like to see them address some of these more fundamental issues, even if it means excluding packages from their repositories that deviate too far from their ideal environment.

    Can't see it happening though. Chances are you'll see some new icons, maybe some silly compiz effects and very little in terms of really progressing the UI. Maybe I'm just too cycnical these days...

    As for Windows application compatibility, doubt it somehow.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    stevo_ said:
    Wow yea if ubuntu looks fancy everyones gonna jump ship to sit playing with pretty command line all day..
    Well, to be honest cowsay is the primary reason I use Linux. Until Microsoft adopts cowsay as a system wide feature I don't see myself ever going back to Windows as a primary operating system.

  • User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

    Bass said:
    You can run Windows XP on top of Virtualbox to run Windows apps, and that'll run basically anything that doesn't require heavy 3d acceleration.
    You can also code up MS Office in Brainfück, because it's turing-complete...


  • User profile image
    dentaku

    Just some different colours and some more useless 3D effects doesn't make it easier to use. If anything it'll just have more useless little utilities that al do the same thing and stuff will still be hard to install.

  • User profile image
    Bass

    RoyalSchrubber said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    You can also code up MS Office in Brainfück, because it's turing-complete...


    Channel 9 censors programming language discussions!

  • User profile image
    jamie

    Bass said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*
    Channel 9 censors programming language discussions!
    this was the funnest programming thread ive seen!

    should i use cowspoo or brainfudge...hmmm

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.