Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Win7 Express (Free)?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • magicalclick

I rememeber I saw a blog releaving the versions of Win7. The first one has no price tag and it only runs 3 applications at the same time. No Aero. I am wondering, is this free to download like Express version of VS?

Don't know why I will need such version of Win7, but if it is free, I will find a way to use it. Probably a playground runing under some virtualization envirnment. Maybe for pure gaming purpose. Either way, I would really hope to hear more info about this particular version. Wouldn't it be great if it is free? I loved VS Express, freeeee.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

That would be Windows 7 Starter Edition, and Microsoft has not yet released pricing information for any editions of Windows 7.  Any prices you've seen online are purely speculation and rumor based on the prices of the current editions of Vista.

• littleguru

Isn't Starter Edition only for emerging markets?

• matthews

littleguru said:
    It's supposed to be used in Netbooks now as well. I can't imagine who's idea this was.

• Turbodad

OK, 3 apps:

1) antivirus
    2) firewall
    3) web browser
    Yeah, I guess that's useful.

• ManipUni

Windows 7 Starter Edition is the worst product ever made... 
    I'd use Windows 95 before I used Starter Edition. The value add of Windows 7 is tiny anyway but when you contrast it against the value lost by the limitations imposed by these starter editions then you always wind up using something else. Linux, BSD, second hand Windows licence, pirated software, they all become better alternatives.

• W3bbo

ManipUni said:
    I'd use Windows 95 before I used Starter Edition. The value add of Windows 7 is tiny anyway but when you contrast it against the value lost by the limitations imposed by these starter editions then you always wind up using something else. Linux, BSD, second hand Windows licence, pirated software, they all become better alternatives.

Try to be more cynical. Starter Edition exists purely so Microsoft can persuede OEMs in "emerging markets" (euphemism treadmill, here we come) to pay them to put a legitimate OS on there. Microsoft knows the users will install a warezed version of Windows so they're trying to capitalise on that by at least making some money on it. Before, when OEMs were installing the warez in the first place they weren't making any money, now they're making at least £20 or so on every sale.

I don't think anyone at Microsoft really believes people will actually use it on their computer, it's just a mitigation action.

The next step will be to eliminate the Windows Home Basic SKU and go back to the two-tier model and maybe retain Ultimate (but with a less barrel-scraping name)

• warren

ManipUni said:

So says the guy who lives in a first-world country who uses computers as part of his way of life.

To even have a chance of understanding Starter Edition, you have to stop being so damned selfish and start thinking in terms of the poor farmers in northern Vietman who have every bit as much right to have their own computer and participate in the digital world as you or I do.  These aren't people who care about high resolutions, heavy multi-tasking, multiple CPU sockets or anything.  To most people who are in the target market for Starter Edition, the computers themselves would be far worse than what you'd be willing to use.  These are people who would be quite happy to have anything at all, but the cost of even Home Basic is too much.  We're talking multiple weeks of pay here.

• ManipUni

warren said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*
    So says the guy who lives in a first-world country who uses computers as part of his way of life.

To even have a chance of understanding Starter Edition, you have to stop being so damned selfish and start thinking in terms of the poor farmers in northern Vietman who have every bit as much right to have their own computer and participate in the digital world as you or I do.  These aren't people who care about high resolutions, heavy multi-tasking, multiple CPU sockets or anything.  To most people who are in the target market for Starter Edition, the computers themselves would be far worse than what you'd be willing to use.  These are people who would be quite happy to have anything at all, but the cost of even Home Basic is too much.  We're talking multiple weeks of pay here.

Sorry but the point you're making holds absolutely no water at all. Microsoft is more of a hurdle for third world consumers than it is a help with or without Starter Edition. I named half a dozen alternatives that would be better suited for that scenario. Starter Edition with its frankly shocking three application limit is completely useless even for basic consumers.

Windows 95 licence (used) - $1-5
    Windows 2000 licence (used) - $10-20
    Windows XP licence (used) - $30-50
    Linux - Free
    BSD - Free
    Windows 7 Crippled Edition - $20

I'd send third world countries Linux and Open Office on recycled hardware.

• Laura10

Turbodad said:
    OK, 3 apps:
    1) antivirus
    2) firewall
    3) web browser
    Yeah, I guess that's useful.
    An anti-virus and a firewall won't be considered applications. The web-browser is though.

• blowdart

Laura10 said:
    Turbodad said:
    *snip*
    An anti-virus and a firewall won't be considered applications. The web-browser is though.
    Sort of.

Background “services” in the system tray such as an antivirus service, Bluetooth service, fingerprint reader services, etc., do not count as one of the three programs unless the user opens up the full program to run it.

So this leaves an interesting question - what about Messenger? It sits in the system tray but opens multiple windows ...

• magicalclick

littleguru said:
    I don't think so. The version for emerging market (Starter) can run many applications which is equivilant to Vista's Basic. Regular retail versions of Win7 are basically Home Prenium and Pro, like XP. Other versions are lisencing. I remember from the site, all of the versions has estimated price comparible to Vista, except the version I am talking out.

I don't remember the name of it. It is Win7 Core or something. The one I am talking about only runs three applications, not Starter. There is no price on it. It is still cool for gaming machine since it is clean super lightweight, thus, run games faster.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • PaoloM

magicalclick said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    I don't think so. The version for emerging market (Starter) can run many applications which is equivilant to Vista's Basic. Regular retail versions of Win7 are basically Home Prenium and Pro, like XP. Other versions are lisencing. I remember from the site, all of the versions has estimated price comparible to Vista, except the version I am talking out.

I don't remember the name of it. It is Win7 Core or something. The one I am talking about only runs three applications, not Starter. There is no price on it. It is still cool for gaming machine since it is clean super lightweight, thus, run games faster.
    There are no prices set. Whatever you can find around are just rumours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

• W3bbo

warren said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Please don't patronise people. To characterise the typical user of a Windows machine in SE Asia as a North Vietnamese farmer is awfully presumptive. In countries like NV the main users of computers are the emergent middle class to whome Starter Edition doesn't appeal at all. Society is very polarised. If there was computer ownership outside the middle classes it would likely be a communal thing, and even then they'd be smart enough to know not to purchase anything intentionally crippled or just shove a warezed copy of Windows on it (assuming something like Red Flag Linux didn't get there first)

• magicalclick

PaoloM said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*
    There are no prices set. Whatever you can find around are just rumours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions
    Whoops, my bad. The one I have in mind is called Starter, but there is another version Home Basic for emerging market. Looks like Starter also cost money, but why would anyone buy it if it only runs three applications? Internet Gamming Cafe?

Edit: You think someone will use Starter in NetBook or CellPhone? They definitly need some additional GUI theme to make it more attactive. The classic look is ugly. Three applications is cool since those mini hardware can't handle more anyway, and it is also better locking it so user won't accidentally run too many applications; like my co-worker was running 50 Windows Photo Gallery and blaming Vista is slow... hum...... I really hope it has 64bits version though; just to push all software vendor to 64bits era. 32Bits is dead after Win7 anyway.

Feature Starter Home Basic Home Premium Professional Enterprise Ultimate
    Availability OEM Licensing Only Emerging Markets Only Retail & OEM Licensing Volume Licensing Limited Retail & OEM Licensing
    Processor Architecture
    (32-bit and 64-bit)
    32-bit only Both Both Both Both Both
    Concurrent Applications 3 Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited
    Home Group Join Only Join Only Create & Join Create & Join Create & Join Create & Join

Last modified
  • AndyC

W3bbo said:
    warren said:
    *snip*
    Please don't patronise people. To characterise the typical user of a Windows machine in SE Asia as a North Vietnamese farmer is awfully presumptive. In countries like NV the main users of computers are the emergent middle class to whome Starter Edition doesn't appeal at all. Society is very polarised. If there was computer ownership outside the middle classes it would likely be a communal thing, and even then they'd be smart enough to know not to purchase anything intentionally crippled or just shove a warezed copy of Windows on it (assuming something like Red Flag Linux didn't get there first)
    Except that it has already proved popular, if it hadn't it wouldn't still be around. Microsoft don't make more SKUs for the fun of it you know. Just because you consider it "crippled" doesn't make that match the opinion in its target market.

I'd suggest reading this, but I don't suppose it'll change your mind (not that it matters).

• magicalclick

AndyC said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    Except that it has already proved popular, if it hadn't it wouldn't still be around. Microsoft don't make more SKUs for the fun of it you know. Just because you consider it "crippled" doesn't make that match the opinion in its target market.

I'd suggest reading this, but I don't suppose it'll change your mind (not that it matters).
    I agree. I wouldn't consider it crippled at all. I mean it runs softwares exactly the same. It probably runs games faster because it is running less optional processes. Hell, besides backup and Aero, I don't care other features LOL. I barely using Media Center feature.

Last modified
  • W3bbo

AndyC said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Starter Edition can only be licensed by OEMs, not end users, so "popular" doesn't necessarily mean that people explicitly chose it over the alternatives.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.