Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Win7 Express (Free)?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    Starter Edition can only be licensed by OEMs, not end users, so "popular" doesn't necessarily mean that people explicitly chose it over the alternatives.
    OEMs don't sell products nobody will buy.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

AndyC said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    OEMs don't sell products nobody will buy.
    But people will buy whatever's cheapest, without first reading about the limitations of whatever they're buying.

Then they'll sue Microsoft or the OEM because they expected to be able to run many applications at once and instead got a crippled OS that can only run three (or even none at all, considering the amount of crapware that Dell and friends put on PCs).

• User profile image
    AndyC

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*
    But people will buy whatever's cheapest, without first reading about the limitations of whatever they're buying.

Then they'll sue Microsoft or the OEM because they expected to be able to run many applications at once and instead got a crippled OS that can only run three (or even none at all, considering the amount of crapware that Dell and friends put on PCs).
    And yet so far there has been any such legal action over Windows Starter Edition, so it can't be that big a deal, right?

I'm surprised people think it's that big a hinderance. I've seen plenty of people who use their computer one application at a time, closing each one before starting another (even to the extent of closing the "Google" "application" so they can open the "Hotmail" one). And these aren't stupid people or people who can't afford a better machine. They're just everyday folks (including a least one senior member of the British government) who really aren't very techno-literate and so tend to work in a somewhat limited fashion.

Sure, it'd kill my productivity as I can barely go a day without more windows and applications open that I care to count, but at the same time I know that I'm a long way from being a beginner user, which is where Starter Edition is targetting.

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

AndyC said:
    CannotResolveSymbol said:
    *snip*
    And yet so far there has been any such legal action over Windows Starter Edition, so it can't be that big a deal, right?

I'm surprised people think it's that big a hinderance. I've seen plenty of people who use their computer one application at a time, closing each one before starting another (even to the extent of closing the "Google" "application" so they can open the "Hotmail" one). And these aren't stupid people or people who can't afford a better machine. They're just everyday folks (including a least one senior member of the British government) who really aren't very techno-literate and so tend to work in a somewhat limited fashion.

Sure, it'd kill my productivity as I can barely go a day without more windows and applications open that I care to count, but at the same time I know that I'm a long way from being a beginner user, which is where Starter Edition is targetting.
    My guess is that Starter Edition will be offered on super cheap netbooks where people rarely run more than a few applications at a time anyway.  And then if people later decide they want more functionality, the Anytime Upgrade option will allow them to immediately remove that limitation and add other features from Home Premium or Professional.    

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.