Coffeehouse Thread

109 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

C9 International Avatar Kit

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

Minh wrote:
    BTW, where does the term "Dutch" come frome?

No clue, actually. A quick google search reveals nothing. I'll investigate further.

EDIT:
    Wikipedia tells me this:
    "Dutch is often confused with Deutsch, the German word for German. English Dutch, German Deutsch, and Dutch Dietsch are actually variations of the same word. In English, Dutch used to be a generic term to refer to Netherlanders and Germans alike. This is why the German immigrants to Pennsylvania are also called the Pennsylvania Dutch. The same problem happens with the Dutch words dietsch, Diets and Duits. Today, the English word only refers to the Netherlands."

That's not an unreasonable explanation, that it derives from "Deutsch" or "Duits" (German).
    After all, the first line of our national anthem reads:
    "Wilhelmus van Nassauwe, ben ik van Duitschen bloed."

Another fun fact: you may have noticed the Dutch preoccupation with the colour orange (our national football team's colour is orange, for instance). This is because our royal family is called "van Oranje-Nassau" which translates to "of Orange-Nassau".

• User profile image
    Rossj

Sven Groot wrote:
    Rossj wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: Thanks, that's better.

No takers on what my avatar is? Hint: the avatar caption is related to it. Hint 2: The number five.

Myst?

Nearly. It is actually from Riven. The symbol is Gehn's Crest. It consists of the D'ni number five in the center (a very important number in D'ni culture). The number is surrounded by five small leaves that represent the trees that paper is made from. The larger 'arms' are pen nibs used to write the Ages. And those nibs are pointing to five open books.

Okay you lost me at Gehn...

• User profile image
    littleguru

jamie wrote:

big thanks!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Rossj wrote:
    Okay you lost me at Gehn...

You should go play Riven then. Wink

• User profile image
    littleguru

We are all looking so nice with the new avatar... cool.

• User profile image
    Rossj

littleguru wrote:
    We are all looking so nice with the new avatar... cool.

Yeah that is what the avatars should look like by default.

• User profile image
    fdezjose

Jamie, that's a great idea. Could you do that with my avatar? If you have some free time of course.

• User profile image
    Shaded

Schweeet

Thanks for adding a bit of class to the place Jamie.

... oh hey what is that font out put CHANNEL 9 in ?

• User profile image
    jamie

bank gothic

• User profile image
    fdezjose

Thanks man! But could you do it with this one: http://img68.exs.cx/img68/4421/piscina14yu.jpg thanks!

• User profile image
    jamie

fdezjose wrote:
    Thanks man! But could you do it with this one: http://img68.exs.cx/img68/4421/piscina14yu.jpg thanks!

• User profile image
    jamie

fdezjose wrote:
    Jamie, that's a great idea. Could you do that with my avatar? If you have some free time of course.

• User profile image
    fdezjose

Thanks again Jamie!

• User profile image
    littleguru

The international avatar is really a big success! Hopefully even more people is using it.

• User profile image
    jamie

ya im suprised everyone did it so quick

Charles - if you want - for a real version - ill help on graphics ( resizing 300 flags) and pasting on the black bar

Country would be in text - flag would go in automatically for selected country

and the avatar - not sure if we could keep the rounded corners - maybe a knocked out over lay?

anyway - im sure new people will wonder why their avatars are different..  so maybe down the road - they should add this for real

although its sort of fun thats its a tad exculsive Smiley

• User profile image
    littleguru

jamie wrote:

although its sort of fun thats its a tad exculsive

It's exclusive for us, old niners Big Smile

• User profile image
    Steve411

Big shots? haha

• User profile image
    Sabot

Nice one, Jamie ... thanks mate!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.