magicalclick said:
PerfectPhase said:
*snip*
Interesting video. It seem like electron is actually behaving like waves. I personally think everything is made out of waves, simular to String theory. Just like radio or TV channels are waves that can be pretty much perfectly preserved and transported to our end. We are probably just like a tiny pixel represented using waves, and we are preserved in that special frequency. Different frequency, different channel/universe.  Although none of us yet to experience a noise in your frequency, or may be we saw it but we didn't realize it.

But then it gets me to another concern, wouldn't waves requires some kind of medium? Waves is only up and down motion in a medium, without the medium, there is nothing to up and down, thus, no waves. What would the the source medium of all waves? Would it be made out of another waves when we have better technology to find it?

Or the concept of waves and particles are incorrect? Maybe they are the same in the end?
You know, I really don't like the idea of, "It depends". Like oh, for larger universe, use Relativity Theory. But, you have to use Quantium Mechnics for subtomic universe. That's just doesn't sound right.
But there is a medium for waves--  in the case of electromagnetic waves, the medium is the photon; in the case of "matter waves" (which actually do exist, although it's more of a "statistical" wave than something that's really moving as a wave) it's the components of the atom.  Quantum mechanics says that everything (both matter and energy) has the property of wave-particle duality, where in some situations it behaves as a particle, while in others, it behaves as a wave--  it's trivial to show both the wave and particle nature of light in any high school physics lab, while the wave-particle dualtiy of matter is more difficult to show and requires some pretty specialized equipment.

There is not, however, any kind of common, omnipresent medium in which energy and matter waves travel (according to our current understanding of physics)--  that's the concept of the lumniferous aether, which has been thoroughly debunked for about a century (specifically, relativity doesn't work if you have the aether, and the laws of relativity can be shown to be an accurate description of reality fairly easily--  the doppler effect in light is one example (in that you can measure the relative velocity between the two objects and calculate the doppler shift of the light without having to know the relative velocity of the medium in which the waves are traveling--  this becomes important when measuring the doppler shifts of objects in space).

If you'd like some more information (in a pretty readable form), I'd recommend Six Easy Pieces (for quantum mechanics) and Six Not-So-Easy Pieces (for relativity) by Richard Feynman.  I haven't read them myself (yet), but I've heard wonderful things about them, and Feynman is most definitely one of the most talented writers amongst the modern physics community.  They're available from Amazon or should be available from your local library.