hope it works.. back in a bit

• User profile image
    littleguru

... isn't that a leaked build?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

littleguru said:

In a couple of months the betatesters will get the build Jamie is using today. Win7 betatesting is a joke.

• User profile image
    jamie

littleguru said:
    yes.. but i legally had the beta - so its just a newer version with ie8 fixed

also has a new startup screen i hear

(Expanding Windows files (21%)

• User profile image
    littleguru

ZippyV said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

In a couple of months the betatesters will get the build Jamie is using today. Win7 betatesting is a joke.

I can wait... Moving up to the RC means to reinstall everything. No hurries with that. The BETA is quite stable and usable so far Smiley Well Zippy, we got direct feedback on what we send in... that's not that bad, is it?

• User profile image
    Koogle

"Win7 betatesting is a joke"    .... It sure is Tongue Out And I ain't seen nothing actually really improved yet... not even that pathetic list of changes posted on the e7 blog which just gives me giggles reading .. like jeesh, they need lots of feedback to get a clue on things, its amazing how much crap design makes its way out in these builds... makes me wonder if these developers even use there own feature they work on!!?!, I guess its still all about the bare minimum yeh.

When does the Windows 8 blog come out btw?

• User profile image
    jamie

Koogle said:
    "Win7 betatesting is a joke"    .... It sure is Tongue Out And I ain't seen nothing actually really improved yet... not even that pathetic list of changes posted on the e7 blog which just gives me giggles reading .. like jeesh, they need lots of feedback to get a clue on things, its amazing how much crap design makes its way out in these builds... makes me wonder if these developers even use there own feature they work on!!?!, I guess its still all about the bare minimum yeh.

When does the Windows 8 blog come out btw?
    worked.

let me check it out ... sec

hmmm - the first thing im noticing is that the taskbar can no longer be behind maximized windows.. ie; it is always there! 

crap i dont want to use autohide...

edit - this is a bogus decision...  i hate autohide - and i want my apps full screen (("Keep taskbar on top of windows - UNCHECK) <- this is gone now

edit - plus if you use auto hide - it puts a white line across the top of the screen

...think of the children...

*you know what?  F*** the F****** children

• User profile image
    Koogle

jamie said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*
    worked.

hmmm - the first thing im noticing is that the taskbar can no longer be behind maximized windows.. ie; it is always there! 

edit - this is a bogus decision...  i hate autohide - and i want my apps full screen (("Keep taskbar on top of windows - UNCHECK) <- this is gone now

edit - plus if you use auto hide - it puts a white line across the top of the screen

errr well jamie you do have some odd preferences.. thats not something that would bother me at all, as I wouldn't want to maximise any app window and have it hide the taskbar(s) kinda defeats the point of using a taskbar, though its good if the app supports a fullscreen window mode of its own however, where it doesn't require you to change our windows taskbar settings... anyway I see ur point.... taking out pre-existing options on customization ISN'T cool! I have many of my own beefs on this going on, there's enough lack of decent customization as it is.

• User profile image
    jamie

Koogle said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

errr well jamie you do have some odd preferences.. thats not something that would bother me at all, as I wouldn't want to maximise any app window and have it hide the taskbar(s) kinda defeats the point of using a taskbar, though its good if the app supports a fullscreen window mode of its own however, where it doesn't require you to change our windows taskbar settings... anyway I see ur point.... taking out pre-existing options on customization ISN'T cool! I have many of my own beefs on this going on, there's enough lack of decent customization as it is.

observation: it feels sluggish (in comparison to beta)

• User profile image
    intelman

littleguru said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    I can wait... Moving up to the RC means to reinstall everything. No hurries with that. The BETA is quite stable and usable so far Smiley Well Zippy, we got direct feedback on what we send in... that's not that bad, is it?
    Most of my feedback is "fixed in later build" "try in later build" "can't repo" "wont fix".

There are a few that had great responses though Wink I feel as if I have contributed a little bit. 

The beta test definitely is different this time around compared to the later betas, though I see how it has to be and it makes sense. Microsoft gets the product shaped and finished, we find bugs. I would just rather be supreme chancellor of Windows (pretty much any piece of software Microsoft and non Microsoft) and have what I say go. 

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

jamie said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*
    worked.

That whole white line things isn't new.

It was blue in xp (in fact it extended across the top of the start button even when the start bar had mouse over it which I always thought looked a bit not nice) and it's white in Vista (very small, doesn't exist when mouse over task bar)

EDIT:

Credit: Grabbed from screenshot here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/4d11d76f-8593-424e-a25c-ea843c4924d1/

• User profile image
    matthews

littleguru said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    You don't need to reinstall, you can do an upgrade.

• User profile image
    stevo_

I really doubt its slower than the beta jamie, just stick to xp - really cant be bothered listening to you moan about vista.. 7... 8...9... 20 not supporting 'bizzare feature 10561 nobody uses' anymore.

• User profile image
    intelman

stevo_ said:
    I really doubt its slower than the beta jamie, just stick to xp - really cant be bothered listening to you moan about vista.. 7... 8...9... 20 not supporting 'bizzare feature 10561 nobody uses' anymore.
    Well, I think it is important for people to express their opinions. Consumers need to get their word out there. Jamie is kind of eccentric at times though...

7 > Vista > XP .

• User profile image
    littleguru

matthews said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    You don't need to reinstall, you can do an upgrade.
    Oh that's nice. I thought Beta -> RC needs a reinstall.

• User profile image
    matthews

Upgrade: 2 hours
    Clean install: 14 minutes  + hours or days to get all your applications reinstalled + time it takes to get all your settings back the way you like them + time it takes for superfetch to re-learn your habits.

Option 2 is a horrible hit to productivity. Just set your computer to upgrade before you go to bed and wake up with a new build.

• User profile image
    matthews

You have been able to hot-upgrade from Vista to any Windows 7 build so far, and from any 7 build to any higher 7 build.

• User profile image
    jamie

stevo_ said:
    if you place your taskbar at the top of your screen (not default bottom) you have to turn off "Keep taskbar on top of windows" as if you do not - Windows applications get stuck behind the task bar - and there is no way to get to the close "X"

Surely I cannot be the only one to move the taskbar to the top.

For anyone who does this - be prepared for the taskbar being always on screen (apps run below it - or having to use autohide - which sucks because when you go to the top to close an app - the bar inadvertantly slides down and you have to wait for it to re-slide closed.

I do not consider this some obscure feature.  Unless NO ONE moves their taskbar.

PS - if you like fits law - you put the taskbar at the top - close to file / edit / close etc
    if you dont like fitts law - keep it at the bottom and go back and forth with your mouse all day

MS is at war with fitts law .. look at IE's moved icons ... get a 30 inch monitor.. have fun reaching all over

edit - and if you do agree they should remove this "option" then why not just disallow moving the taskbar? keep it locked on the bottom. And since everyone has to reach down all day - lets make it mandatory that all application bars (file, edit...) must appear at the bottom too. And also - lets dispence with the windows key on keyboards ... as it is always on screen - even hiding with its white line (and not unlocked taskbar line - not refering to that)

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.