Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

A PC that surpasses a Mac's industrial design?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • maxzuck

    While I'm a Windows guy (was even before my days at MS), I can admit that I'm a fan of Apple's laptop designs.  I believe your computer can look as good as it runs and that industrial design should be woven throughout the development process and not just an afterthought.

    In my opinion, PCs have historically not held the same aesthetic appeal that Macs do... but this caught my attention in a BIG way:



    The new Adamo from Dell has a machined aluminum chassis similar to Apple's new Macbooks and contains many design cues that feel very well thought out (backlit keyboard, port placement, amazingly thin, lid hinge, onyx color).

    What do you all think?? Worthwhile or does Apple still outshine the PC in design?

  • blowdart

    My problem is it's a Dell. I'm sitting here typing on a Dell M1530 which Dell will not issue new graphics drivers for. That wouldn't be so badm except the problem with the drivers is after a well UAC and login screens are blank - which makes it very hard to work on.

    This is my first Dell and the lack of updates and support and any response on their "community" site any time it's asked about combined with the Nvidia graphics chip fiasco means I simply don't trust them.

  • intelman

    blowdart said:
    My problem is it's a Dell. I'm sitting here typing on a Dell M1530 which Dell will not issue new graphics drivers for. That wouldn't be so badm except the problem with the drivers is after a well UAC and login screens are blank - which makes it very hard to work on.

    This is my first Dell and the lack of updates and support and any response on their "community" site any time it's asked about combined with the Nvidia graphics chip fiasco means I simply don't trust them.
    Yeah I agree, Dell needs to die gracefully and another better company needs to replace it. They used DDR2 (not even GDDR2) for their 8600M GT when Apple and other manucatures used GDDR3. As a result my Aero is so choppy in comparison to the Asus series laptops with the 8600M GT...etc.

    Plus my plast is wearing out and cracking on all ends, and my laptop is only 2 years old....

    Oh and my motherboard died, and my 8600M GT graphics chip died as well.

  • stevo_

    Its great but its also hugely over priced.

  • W3bbo

    Dell could have fit a slimline DVD drive in there without cutting into the unit's height, or at least a better GPU than a stock Intel offering; if it's meant to be a MacBook Air competitor it must have something better than the Air's GeForce 9400M, instead it's got something slower than the typical desktop GPU from 4 years ago.

    Next it'll be revealed the battery isn't removable and has a pitiful 3-4 hour life and the display is TN with a cold-cathode backlight.

  • Cream​Filling512

    This doesn't compete with Macs, it competes with VAIOs, which are far nicer IMO.

  • maxzuck

    CreamFilling512 said:
    This doesn't compete with Macs, it competes with VAIOs, which are far nicer IMO.

    Sony does make some nice machines... but I feel like this ups the fit-and-finish bar.

    And I've had a great experience both with my XPS 1210 and my current XPS 1330.  LED backlit screen, solid state drive... it flies.

  • PerfectPhase

    W3bbo said:
    Dell could have fit a slimline DVD drive in there without cutting into the unit's height, or at least a better GPU than a stock Intel offering; if it's meant to be a MacBook Air competitor it must have something better than the Air's GeForce 9400M, instead it's got something slower than the typical desktop GPU from 4 years ago.

    Next it'll be revealed the battery isn't removable and has a pitiful 3-4 hour life and the display is TN with a cold-cathode backlight.

    I can't think of the last time I used the DVD drive in my laptop apart from to install, I'm quite happy if it and external USB these days.

    I do like the look of the screen, the glass to the edge, I wonder how close to the edge the actual display goes, would be really nice if the LCD went to the edge as well.

    While not really a dev machine I can see our sales people loving it!

  • Cream​Filling512

    maxzuck said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

    Sony does make some nice machines... but I feel like this ups the fit-and-finish bar.

    And I've had a great experience both with my XPS 1210 and my current XPS 1330.  LED backlit screen, solid state drive... it flies.

    I'd like a laptop with an isolated keyboard like on Macbooks and VAIOs.  It's a shame no other make has the same style of keyboard.  They're so easy to keep clean, and sturdy.

  • W3bbo

    maxzuck said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

    Sony does make some nice machines... but I feel like this ups the fit-and-finish bar.

    And I've had a great experience both with my XPS 1210 and my current XPS 1330.  LED backlit screen, solid state drive... it flies.

    Sony's product matrix (or rather, product cube) is nightmarish to navigate and find the right product. They could really do with simplifying their ranges and eliminating excessive product IDs (for instance, the Vaio P comes in a number of colors, but each color has its own product ID even though the only difference is the paint job but the difference in color is also listed side-by-side with products that vary by preinstalled OS or CPU speed).

  • Cream​Filling512

    W3bbo said:
    maxzuck said:
    *snip*
    Sony's product matrix (or rather, product cube) is nightmarish to navigate and find the right product. They could really do with simplifying their ranges and eliminating excessive product IDs (for instance, the Vaio P comes in a number of colors, but each color has its own product ID even though the only difference is the paint job but the difference in color is also listed side-by-side with products that vary by preinstalled OS or CPU speed).

    Yeah I've seen even weirder things with VAIOs, like if you want a certain GPU upgrade you need to get the laptop in a certain color, WTF?

    Honestly this Dell just makes me want to get a Macbook, I could save money and get a laptop that's lighter/faster and probably even better build quality.  It's win-win-win.

  • Ray7

    It's not that much thinner, and seems a tad heavier. I think I'd prefer less weight to be honest.

    And it looks like they've used the old Intel graphics that made the previous Air run like a three-legged dog.

    Looks wise though, not a lot to dislike.


  • zian

    Looks nice but quite under-specced and assuming their tech support will be the ones they use for home laptops, then it'll turn into a glorified brick very quickly.

    I also second the comment on drivers.

  • Evil SEO

    blowdart said:
    My problem is it's a Dell. I'm sitting here typing on a Dell M1530 which Dell will not issue new graphics drivers for. That wouldn't be so badm except the problem with the drivers is after a well UAC and login screens are blank - which makes it very hard to work on.

    This is my first Dell and the lack of updates and support and any response on their "community" site any time it's asked about combined with the Nvidia graphics chip fiasco means I simply don't trust them.

    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer just get the dev and subsys values from the devices manager and you're done.

  • dentaku

    I hope it's as clean on the inside than it is on the outside because Dell machines (and pretty much every large PC manufacturer) fill their machines with horrible shovelware that just makes using them infuriating until you remove all that junk.
    All I want is the OS and all the correct drivers. That's it!
    They realy should have ditched the Intel video.

    These companies know they can get away with doing stuff like this because the users are conditioned to blame MS for it even when they have nothing to do with it.

  • jamie

    dentaku said:
    I hope it's as clean on the inside than it is on the outside because Dell machines (and pretty much every large PC manufacturer) fill their machines with horrible shovelware that just makes using them infuriating until you remove all that junk.
    All I want is the OS and all the correct drivers. That's it!
    They realy should have ditched the Intel video.

    These companies know they can get away with doing stuff like this because the users are conditioned to blame MS for it even when they have nothing to do with it.
    16 comments - 3 views

    this site is a joke  ... joke in a "nice" way  haha  see - its funny!

  • maxzuck

    jamie said:
    dentaku said:
    *snip*
    16 comments - 3 views

    this site is a joke  ... joke in a "nice" way  haha  see - its funny!

    At least it's not impossible.... if 3 people left a total of 16 comments.

  • Ray7

    maxzuck said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*
    At least it's not impossible.... if 3 people left a total of 16 comments.
    So the count is for unique views to the thread. I thought that if you came back, you were counted again, unless you created the thread.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.