Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

A PC that surpasses a Mac's industrial design?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • blowdart

Dear idiot. No it is not a hardware fault, it's a well known driver problem. And the nvidia drivers that are offered directly have a different bug, where they enter an endless loop when you come out of standby.

Did you think I wouldn't have tried those?

• figuerres

Looks, ok
    SSD, nice
    battery 4 hrs + , good
    CPU 1.xx Ghz , Not so good
    Gfx hardware, please not intel gfx
    price , OMG way to high.

for that $$$$ I could buy 2 decent laptops .... not a light and trendy but....

• littleguru

blowdart said:
    My problem is it's a Dell. I'm sitting here typing on a Dell M1530 which Dell will not issue new graphics drivers for. That wouldn't be so badm except the problem with the drivers is after a well UAC and login screens are blank - which makes it very hard to work on.

This is my first Dell and the lack of updates and support and any response on their "community" site any time it's asked about combined with the Nvidia graphics chip fiasco means I simply don't trust them.
    Well... NVIDIA provides drivers for the notebooks now on their own. Smiley No need for Dell to jump in.

• blowdart

littleguru said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    Well... NVIDIA provides drivers for the notebooks now on their own. Smiley No need for Dell to jump in.
    Except those drivers as buggy as hell!

• blowdart

Let me put this simply. It is not a hardware problem, it is a well known problem with older driver versions such as those Dell are offering. You may not see it because you do not have the exact same hardware as I do. Swapping out graphics cards will do no good. It is a problem with the NVidia drivers, and as I have already started the directly released NVidia drivers are also buggered when used to drive a secondary display.

Dell are curiously silent on this, both on their "community" forum (hint, it's not a community Dell if you don't participate yourselves) and via direct emails.

• blowdart

How many times? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WORK.

The Nvidia forums are full of complaints that those drivers reinstall device drivers every time you reboot and login, and they mess up external displays when you bring a machine out of standby.

THEY DON'T WORK.

• maxzuck

blowdart said:
    How many times? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WORK.

The Nvidia forums are full of complaints that those drivers reinstall device drivers every time you reboot and login, and they mess up external displays when you bring a machine out of standby.

THEY DON'T WORK.
    When I installed the latest video driver, my system fan ran at the highest speed non-stop... so I rolled it back and it fixed it.

Then I noticed there was a new BIOS, so I put that on, next the video driver, and boom: all good.  But hey, everyone has their own stories and experiences, do what's best for you.

No need to call each other names Smiley.

• intelman

ATI > Nvidia.

Plus today 9.3 Catalysts support Windows 7.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12692&Itemid=1

• maxzuck

intelman said:
    ATI > Nvidia.

Plus today 9.3 Catalysts support Windows 7.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12692&Itemid=1
    +1 on that Smiley

• littleguru

maxzuck said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    When I installed the latest video driver, my system fan ran at the highest speed non-stop... so I rolled it back and it fixed it.

Then I noticed there was a new BIOS, so I put that on, next the video driver, and boom: all good.  But hey, everyone has their own stories and experiences, do what's best for you.

No need to call each other names Smiley.
    NVIDIA had some issues with the gfx cards that they shipped in the m1330 and m1530. That's why you need to update the BIOS before installing the new drivers.

• bureX

PCs that surpass Mac's industrial design?

Voodoo Envy
    HP Firebird
    Sony Vaio Series
    Alienware Desktop PCs
    HP HDX series
    Samsung Toughbook series
    HP Elitebook + Ultra Capacity battery (HP claims it can last up to 24 hours)
    etc.

But here's the thing... While these are better than your usual Apple machines, they are *not* Macs! Most people will look for a "Mac" when buying a PC, and that means they want simplicity, minimalism, and a great design, but that also comes with a high price tag and generally lower specs, so it's a tough situation (and that's where the Envy, Adamo and some sleek Vaio models usually step in)... Most PC manufacturers still don't see the "premium" market as a good way to earn money, since they look at a PC like most average people do - as an appliance, but as more people become increasingly attached to it, better designs and more durable enclosures will appear for the PC market, and they already are... The beige boxes are already dead, the crackling black laptop plastic is next...

• Lizard​Rumsfeld

bureX said:
    PCs that surpass Mac's industrial design?

Voodoo Envy
    HP Firebird
    Sony Vaio Series
    Alienware Desktop PCs
    HP HDX series
    Samsung Toughbook series
    HP Elitebook + Ultra Capacity battery (HP claims it can last up to 24 hours)
    etc.

But here's the thing... While these are better than your usual Apple machines, they are *not* Macs! Most people will look for a "Mac" when buying a PC, and that means they want simplicity, minimalism, and a great design, but that also comes with a high price tag and generally lower specs, so it's a tough situation (and that's where the Envy, Adamo and some sleek Vaio models usually step in)... Most PC manufacturers still don't see the "premium" market as a good way to earn money, since they look at a PC like most average people do - as an appliance, but as more people become increasingly attached to it, better designs and more durable enclosures will appear for the PC market, and they already are... The beige boxes are already dead, the crackling black laptop plastic is next...
    1. Heavier than the Air.
    2. Slower than the Air.
    3. More expensive than the Air.
    4. Arriving more than a year later.

Really, rather pathetic consdidering the hype.  The entire marketing of it screams "Accountants trying to be chic".  It really just reeks of desperation.

• bureX

I didn't say the Adamo was awesome, it's price tag is way too high for what you're getting... But hey, at least you get more USB ports Smiley

BTW: The Adamo has a 128GB SSD drive, which costs an extra 500$ for the MacBook Air.

• Ray7

bureX said:
    I didn't say the Adamo was awesome, it's price tag is way too high for what you're getting... But hey, at least you get more USB ports Smiley
    BTW: The Adamo has a 128GB SSD drive, which costs an extra 500$ for the MacBook Air.
    Ah.

Good point,  hadn't realised that.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.