Coffeehouse Thread

39 posts

Dell Latitude XT2 or HP Touchsmart tx2z Tablet for Win 7?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • BigDataDev

    Can someone from the Windows 7 Multi-Touch project shed some light on the 64-bit N-trig drivers?

    I'm looking to buy either the Dell Latitude XT2 or HP Touchsmart tx2z Tablet.

    Which one is best to run 64-bit Windows 7?

    It looks like the weak link is the 64-bit N-trig drivers. => http://www.n-trig.com/Content.aspx?Page=Multi_Touch

  • Ion Todirel

    why would you want a 64-bit OS on a Table PC? o_O

  • BigDataDev

    Ion Todirel said:
    why would you want a 64-bit OS on a Table PC? o_O

    I want the extra horsepower.

    Would like to configure it with 5 GB RAM or more.
    32 bit OS's do not support more than 4 GB RAM.

  • Ion Todirel

    PocketXP said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

    I want the extra horsepower.

    Would like to configure it with 5 GB RAM or more.
    32 bit OS's do not support more than 4 GB RAM.

    I know that, just that I didn't imagine someone will use a laptop with so much RAM considering how expensive the 4G sticks are... unless it supports more than 2 sticks

  • BigDataDev

    Ion Todirel said:
    PocketXP said:
    *snip*
    I know that, just that I didn't imagine someone will use a laptop with so much RAM considering how expensive the 4G sticks are... unless it supports more than 2 sticks
    It will be expensive but I use it for software development.

    There is some ROI. The extra memory increases my productivity.

    A loaded Dell Latitude XT2 with 5 GB RAM will cost $4,600.
    The HP Touchsmart tx2z is a bit cheaper.

  • Ion Todirel

    PocketXP said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*
    It will be expensive but I use it for software development.

    There is some ROI. The extra memory increases my productivity.

    A loaded Dell Latitude XT2 with 5 GB RAM will cost $4,600.
    The HP Touchsmart tx2z is a bit cheaper.
    I'd get a powerful desktop and a cheap Tablet PC, together will cost you less than a powerful Tablet who's CPU is slow anyway

  • magicalclick

    Do you really need that much of RAM to be more productive for software development? I am running on 3GB only and it is enough for both gaming and using VS C# express for my own WPF project. And your software should run on less powerful machine. Unless you project is SQL Server Bound?

    Anyway, don't know which one is better for your case.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • blowdart

    magicalclick said:
    Do you really need that much of RAM to be more productive for software development? I am running on 3GB only and it is enough for both gaming and using VS C# express for my own WPF project. And your software should run on less powerful machine. Unless you project is SQL Server Bound?

    Anyway, don't know which one is better for your case.
    You only need 3Gb? You're not a real developer Tongue Out

  • BlackTiger

    blowdart said:
    magicalclick said:
    *snip*
    You only need 3Gb? You're not a real developer Tongue Out
    Hmmm.... What if I'm just writing effective code? Am I bad/wrong developer?
    Yes, I understand.... To be "effective" is too old-fashioned and not supported by "big" companies...

    If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.
    Last modified
  • blowdart

    BlackTiger said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    Hmmm.... What if I'm just writing effective code? Am I bad/wrong developer?
    Yes, I understand.... To be "effective" is too old-fashioned and not supported by "big" companies...
    <sarcasm />

  • BigDataDev

    32-bit systems are old school.

    I need the 64-bit/extra memory horsepower to maximize perfomance but please note that the whole industry is quickly adopting 64-bit as the defacto standard.

    Regarding my needs, I'm planning to use the Tablet PC to write/demo apps that use the new multi-touch capabilities. I'm also going to develop Oracle and SQL Server based Silverlight and Java apps using virtual machine dev environments.

  • BigDataDev

    I'm going with the Dell Latitude XT2 for the following 2 reasons:
     - Intel Core 2 Duo SU9400 processor is better than the AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core.
     - Dell system has a 128 GB SSD option. Solid State Drives should be the default standard for Mobile PCs.


    fyi: there's only two 64 Bit Multi-Touch Tablet PC options:


    1. Dell Latitude XT2
        - Intel Core 2 Duo SU9400 (1.40GHz, 3M L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
        - 5 GB RAM
        - 128 GB SSD

    2. HP Touchsmart tx2z
        - AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-86 (2.4 GHz)
        - 8 GB RAM
        - 500 GB SATA HD

  • Ian2

    I've got a tx2 - Loaded Windows 7 - it runs fine but you lose the pen support if you go for the multitouch driver - which is a little flakey anyway at the moment - also only support for  the 32bit Win7 at present.

    I am thinking of reverting back to 64bit Vista until the driver situation improves.

  • BigDataDev

    Ian2 said:
    I've got a tx2 - Loaded Windows 7 - it runs fine but you lose the pen support if you go for the multitouch driver - which is a little flakey anyway at the moment - also only support for  the 32bit Win7 at present.

    I am thinking of reverting back to 64bit Vista until the driver situation improves.
    Thanks for the info on the tx2.

    Hopefully, the 64bit Win7 multi-touch drivers will be ready by the time RC1 happens in May.

  • BigDataDev

    PocketXP said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*
    Thanks for the info on the tx2.

    Hopefully, the 64bit Win7 multi-touch drivers will be ready by the time RC1 happens in May.
    Good news: 64 bit Windows 7 RC N-Trig Multi-Touch drivers are now available.

    http://n-trig.com/Content.aspx?PageId=942


  • Riekl

    PocketXP said:
    32-bit systems are old school.

    I need the 64-bit/extra memory horsepower to maximize perfomance but please note that the whole industry is quickly adopting 64-bit as the defacto standard.

    Regarding my needs, I'm planning to use the Tablet PC to write/demo apps that use the new multi-touch capabilities. I'm also going to develop Oracle and SQL Server based Silverlight and Java apps using virtual machine dev environments.
    You are nuts if you think the industry is quickly adopting 64bit.  Adoption is slow, nearly 0.  Most people buying 64 bit machines are downgrading them to 32 bit due to compatability issues.

    It will be another 2-3 years before 64 bit is 'mainstream'.  There is 0 benefit to running it today on a tablet.

  • magicalclick

    Riekl said:
    PocketXP said:
    *snip*
    You are nuts if you think the industry is quickly adopting 64bit.  Adoption is slow, nearly 0.  Most people buying 64 bit machines are downgrading them to 32 bit due to compatability issues.

    It will be another 2-3 years before 64 bit is 'mainstream'.  There is 0 benefit to running it today on a tablet.

    I don't see any problem running software on my 64bit machine. I don't see why downgrade at all. Also Win7 is the last OS with 32bits.

    Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • dahat

    magicalclick said:
    Riekl said:
    *snip*

    I don't see any problem running software on my 64bit machine. I don't see why downgrade at all. Also Win7 is the last OS with 32bits.

    Agreed.

    Only compat issues I've had under x64 has been when I try to do mixed mode debugginging under Visual Studio... which they say will be supported in Dev10... and with Windows Virtual PC and Virtual XP Mode... another reason not to run x64 has just been eliminated.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.