Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Looks Like C9 Killed Classic Logins (Sampy: It's a bug!)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Minh

Unsurprisingly, there's another big change on C9 (for classic users) without any announcement.

Honestly, I've never been to a forum where admins are so hostile to their own users.

If you had a classic C9 login, and you logged out, on the next login, you'll see this:

Notice how the option to use classic logins is gone... After using your passport, you'll get:

Yep, it's officially gone.

(Sampy Ninja Edit: Just wanted to tweak the title so people had the full info)

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Great.  Guess I'm gone the next time I get logged out.  I never could stay logged in with LiveID on Channel 8; made it too difficult to bother to post anything--  I'd assume it will work the same way here.

• User profile image
    Minh

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Great.  Guess I'm gone the next time I get logged out.  I never could stay logged in with LiveID on Channel 8; made it too difficult to bother to post anything--  I'd assume it will work the same way here.
    Make a copy of those cookies.

I was clicking around the site and I'm smirking at this piect of text currently

ReadMe.txt

Channel 9 Doctrine

1. Channel 9 is all about the conversation.

• User profile image
    VB Man

Friends, let's all go to Apple Developer Forums. The site looks 100 times better, and works infinite times better. 

• User profile image
    Minh

VB Man said:
    Friends, let's all go to Apple Developer Forums. The site looks 100 times better, and works infinite times better. 
    I'm a few clicks away from ordering this... iPhone development is a temptress...

I have a PS/2 KVM switch that I plug a USB converter into... Will it work w/ the Mac Mini? Or do I have to buy separate KB & Mouse?

• User profile image
    VB Man

Minh said:
    VB Man said:
    *snip*
    I'm a few clicks away from ordering this... iPhone development is a temptress...

I have a PS/2 KVM switch that I plug a USB converter into... Will it work w/ the Mac Mini? Or do I have to buy separate KB & Mouse?
    It should work. 

Go for it Minh. 

'Mac is over priced!' blah blah blah... there whole Dev Suite is free and it includes Instruments which blows any VS testing plugin out of the water.

Long live OS X. It just works.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

"@adkinn you still work on C9? What happened to classic logins?" - 18:28 my time (AZ)

"@schristopheraz hmm, maybe grandfather clause expired? You'd have to ask @duncanma or @humancompiler" - 18:40 my time (AZ)

20 minutes I got ahold of someone from C9 on Twitter...if it's really THAT big of a deal....

• User profile image
    Minh

VB Man said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    It should work. 

Go for it Minh. 

'Mac is over priced!' blah blah blah... there whole Dev Suite is free and it includes Instruments which blows any VS testing plugin out of the water.

Long live OS X. It just works.
    It is done

• User profile image
    Minh

Cybermagellan said:
    "@adkinn you still work on C9? What happened to classic logins?" - 18:28 my time (AZ)

"@schristopheraz hmm, maybe grandfather clause expired? You'd have to ask @duncanma or @humancompiler" - 18:40 my time (AZ)

20 minutes I got ahold of someone from C9 on Twitter...if it's really THAT big of a deal....

It's not that big a deal for me, because I already had a LiveID... But for those who don't... Last I checked, there were 16,000 classic logins. How many of those have LiveIDs? How many of those would bother to get one?

I have a problem with how the C9 ppl always say "conversation" but then run their web site as opaquely as possible.

I wonder what is gained from getting rid of the classic logins.

• User profile image
    Minh

Cybermagellan said:

Post when/if you hear back from @duncanma or @humancompiler

• User profile image
    VB Man

Minh said:
    VB Man said:
    *snip*
    It is done

Congratulations. 

Once you use Mac, you never go back.

Have fun bud, you will not regret it... not even one bit. I promise. 

• User profile image
    Minh

VB Man said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*
    Congratulations. 

Once you use Mac, you never go back.

Have fun bud, you will not regret it... not even one bit. I promise. 
    I have to be back and forth.

I see Silverlight as the future of Windows development (maybe a basis of Windows Mobile 7)

and I'd love to have a shot at the iPhone. For the moment, OSX is it. I've use my brother's Mac before, and I liked it enough. OSX surely has put a scare into MS.

• User profile image
    Charles

This is a bug, not a new "feature". Smiley So relax, my Niner brothers and sisters. The OldSchool login is not dead, just broken.
    C

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Cybermagellan said:

This was not intentional, I need to talk to Sampy to figure out what happened though. It looks like we lost the ability to have a custom UI around our login, and that was how we exposed the 'classic' sign in link ... as far as I know, we never requested the UI change so perhaps it was made across the board for LiveID sites

I'll figure it out though, and get the classic sign-in link back, even if we have to just add it right onto the menu alongside the Live ID one.

• User profile image
    Charles

Duncanma said:
    Cybermagellan said:
    *snip*

This was not intentional, I need to talk to Sampy to figure out what happened though. It looks like we lost the ability to have a custom UI around our login, and that was how we exposed the 'classic' sign in link ... as far as I know, we never requested the UI change so perhaps it was made across the board for LiveID sites

I'll figure it out though, and get the classic sign-in link back, even if we have to just add it right onto the menu alongside the Live ID one.

Thank you as always Duncan!!
    C

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Duncanma said:
    Cybermagellan said:
    *snip*

Thanks...  if C9 performs similarly to the last time I logged into C8, the experience when logged in via Live ID is subpar...  cutting it off would be bad.

Doesn't look like the changes have been made completely across the board yet--  Connect and the MS Careers site are still showing the old-style Live ID login with their usual customized content still included.

Any chance you could post the classic sign-on link here until you get something figured out?

• User profile image
    Charles

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*
    Thanks...  if C9 performs similarly to the last time I logged into C8, the experience when logged in via Live ID is subpar...  cutting it off would be bad.

Doesn't look like the changes have been made completely across the board yet--  Connect and the MS Careers site are still showing the old-style Live ID login with their usual customized content still included.

Any chance you could post the classic sign-on link here until you get something figured out?
    http://channel9.msdn.com/signin/
    C

• User profile image
    Duncanma

VB Man said:
    I was curious and followed that links... and did I end up at some awesome forums? Nope, I ended up at a login screen that told me I can't even read the forums without joining their developer program.

The Apple Developer Forums are available to developers in the iPhone Developer Standard Program, Enterprise Program, and University Program. Log in using your program Apple ID and password.

Should we require you to have a MSDN subscription to use Channel 9?

Anyway, that doesn't mean they aren't awesome, and I was truly curious... are there also public Apple forums using the same software that I can look at?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.