Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Looks Like C9 Killed Classic Logins (Sampy: It's a bug!)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Duncanma said:
    VB Man said:
    *snip*
    I was curious and followed that links... and did I end up at some awesome forums? Nope, I ended up at a login screen that told me I can't even read the forums without joining their developer program.

The Apple Developer Forums are available to developers in the iPhone Developer Standard Program, Enterprise Program, and University Program. Log in using your program Apple ID and password.

Should we require you to have a MSDN subscription to use Channel 9?

Anyway, that doesn't mean they aren't awesome, and I was truly curious... are there also public Apple forums using the same software that I can look at?

No, there aren't.

And they're not some kind of "awesome community" or anything...  they're primarily support forums, and while you will occasionally see some neat ideas bouncing around, there's no space for general or off-topic discussion like in the C9 Coffeehouse (it's clearly segmented into different topic areas).

The software is decent, and they've got some neat features in their rich text editor that I'd like to see on other sites (one specific feature I like:  marking something as a code snippet immediately reformats the section as code (they don't do syntax highlighting, though) rather than just marking it with [code][/code] like most forums).  Can't say much about stability, though:  haven't spent much time there or written many posts.

Can't give you any screenshots or anything of that sort, as there's some NDA'd information floating around there (stupid NDA on prerelease iPhone software...  Wink)

OT:  is your avatar wearing a Scotland shirt?

• User profile image
    Duncanma

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*
    No, there aren't.

And they're not some kind of "awesome community" or anything...  they're primarily support forums, and while you will occasionally see some neat ideas bouncing around, there's no space for general or off-topic discussion like in the C9 Coffeehouse (it's clearly segmented into different topic areas).

The software is decent, and they've got some neat features in their rich text editor that I'd like to see on other sites (one specific feature I like:  marking something as a code snippet immediately reformats the section as code (they don't do syntax highlighting, though) rather than just marking it with [code][/code] like most forums).  Can't say much about stability, though:  haven't spent much time there or written many posts.

Can't give you any screenshots or anything of that sort, as there's some NDA'd information floating around there (stupid NDA on prerelease iPhone software...  Wink)

OT:  is your avatar wearing a Scotland shirt?
    thanks for the info... I understand the need for private forums, but it is too bad they don't have some public as well.

You'll seem some changes in our editor soon, but I can't discuss it quite yet as we are still working out the official details

Yes on the Scotland shirt...

My family, on both sides, is from Scotland and my father was born there... and they didn't have a Canadian one Smiley

I've never been though, and I'd love to make it there at some point. I went to London for work once, and I should have taken that opportunity to head north.

• User profile image
    Sampy

As Duncan said, it was unintentional. I changing some of our Live ID settings so that we could provide you with some more info about what Live ID you are signed in with as well as leverage some of the profile information in the ticket. Apparently making that change switched us over to the new login screen unintentionally. While we do want to move to that login experience eventually, making sure old school accounts can still sign in is required before we make the move.

I'll get this fixed soon. Nobody freak out Smiley

• User profile image
    Sampy

VB Man said:
    Friends, let's all go to Apple Developer Forums. The site looks 100 times better, and works infinite times better. 

After that editor change, our site will be infinite + 1 times better!

HA HA!

• User profile image
    Duncanma

Sampy said:
    As Duncan said, it was unintentional. I changing some of our Live ID settings so that we could provide you with some more info about what Live ID you are signed in with as well as leverage some of the profile information in the ticket. Apparently making that change switched us over to the new login screen unintentionally. While we do want to move to that login experience eventually, making sure old school accounts can still sign in is required before we make the move.

I'll get this fixed soon. Nobody freak out Smiley
    Seems fixing this means manually editing some configuration files and is best left until the morning, so in the meantime we've added a 'Sign In (classic)' link to the menu (only appears when you are signed out) ... which produces this UI "Sign In | Sign In (Classic)" which is most definitely not the best ... but I wanted to get something in there so that people are not blocked from signing in until we resolve the original problem.

Thanks folks, and sorry for the hassle.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

you know how they say, a bug is a undocumented feature Smiley

• User profile image
    stevo_

Did you really buy a mac mini? hahaha, we have one in our office and it blew so hard we hardly used it for the first couple of months then it ended up sat on a shelf for the remainder of its life, and we have a lot of mac love here in this office..

• User profile image
    Bas

Guys let's all throw a hissy-fit over trivial stuff again soon, okay? Those things are a blast.

• User profile image
    Minh

Bas said:

Guys let's all throw a hissy-fit over trivial stuff again soon, okay? Those things are a blast.

I call it a Pavlov response. Sometimes it's not a duck.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Bas said:

And we "enjoy" reading them.  w00t!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.