Coffeehouse Thread

31 posts

Obama bow

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • staceyw


    "We are no longer a Christian nation.." - Obama

    WTF?

    Now go cut missile defense and the F-22 program.  Oh wait, you already did that...

  • pdev

    ekk, Channel9 doesn't seem like the right place to be talking about politics in such a way...

  • Dr Herbie

    You mean he actually bowed? Doesn't he know he's the President of the USA?  I mean, he's actually being polite and showing some humility!  How dare he. The USA has a reputation for arrogance to uphold abroad; he's going to spoil it!

    I acutally read one report that he 'prostrated himself'.  Come one, people are just sitting there trying to think of things to criticise him for and this was a bit weak.

    Herbie

  • k2t0f12d

    Dr Herbie said:
    You mean he actually bowed? Doesn't he know he's the President of the USA?  I mean, he's actually being polite and showing some humility!  How dare he. The USA has a reputation for arrogance to uphold abroad; he's going to spoil it!

    I acutally read one report that he 'prostrated himself'.  Come one, people are just sitting there trying to think of things to criticise him for and this was a bit weak.

    Herbie
    Why bow?  No one had even thrown a shoe at him yet!

  • dahat

    Dr Herbie said:
    You mean he actually bowed? Doesn't he know he's the President of the USA?  I mean, he's actually being polite and showing some humility!  How dare he. The USA has a reputation for arrogance to uphold abroad; he's going to spoil it!

    I acutally read one report that he 'prostrated himself'.  Come one, people are just sitting there trying to think of things to criticise him for and this was a bit weak.

    Herbie
    Why then single out the Saudi's for such humility? Why not make take such a bow to the Queen of England, or the President of France or any of the other world leaders he met during his recent European trip?

    Heck... for that matter, care to point out the last time a US President has bowed to another foreign leader to such an extent in the history of this country?

    > The USA has a reputation for arrogance to uphold abroad;

    Do you really want me to start quoting some of the foreign (to the US) press who was saying similar things of the President during this trip?

    When it comes to thinking of things to criticize him for... no need, history provides... go back a decade and you have the New York Times lambasting President Clinton for almost bowing far less to the Emperor of Japan.es alw

    Sure… this could just have been an accident, however given the numerous breaches of protocol by the President and those around him, one would expect that the Whitehouse would be willing to admit he they did wrong and move on… instead they are attempting to ignore the clear video tape of the bow and claim it was all due to a height difference.

  • TommyCarlier

    dahat said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    Why then single out the Saudi's for such humility? Why not make take such a bow to the Queen of England, or the President of France or any of the other world leaders he met during his recent European trip?

    Heck... for that matter, care to point out the last time a US President has bowed to another foreign leader to such an extent in the history of this country?

    > The USA has a reputation for arrogance to uphold abroad;

    Do you really want me to start quoting some of the foreign (to the US) press who was saying similar things of the President during this trip?

    When it comes to thinking of things to criticize him for... no need, history provides... go back a decade and you have the New York Times lambasting President Clinton for almost bowing far less to the Emperor of Japan.es alw

    Sure… this could just have been an accident, however given the numerous breaches of protocol by the President and those around him, one would expect that the Whitehouse would be willing to admit he they did wrong and move on… instead they are attempting to ignore the clear video tape of the bow and claim it was all due to a height difference.

    I want you to apologize:

    “President Obama is being criticized by some for apologizing. Because, they say, apologizing will reduce America's standing in the world. I couldn't disagree more. The world needs less anger and more apologies. And President Obama is a great example, a role model, for how we can diffuse anger and repair relationships.

    Apologizing is a humane gesture, a way to treat others with respect. And, not for nothing, it might just keep us out of a fight.”

  • Bas

    dahat said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    Why then single out the Saudi's for such humility? Why not make take such a bow to the Queen of England, or the President of France or any of the other world leaders he met during his recent European trip?

    Heck... for that matter, care to point out the last time a US President has bowed to another foreign leader to such an extent in the history of this country?

    > The USA has a reputation for arrogance to uphold abroad;

    Do you really want me to start quoting some of the foreign (to the US) press who was saying similar things of the President during this trip?

    When it comes to thinking of things to criticize him for... no need, history provides... go back a decade and you have the New York Times lambasting President Clinton for almost bowing far less to the Emperor of Japan.es alw

    Sure… this could just have been an accident, however given the numerous breaches of protocol by the President and those around him, one would expect that the Whitehouse would be willing to admit he they did wrong and move on… instead they are attempting to ignore the clear video tape of the bow and claim it was all due to a height difference.
    Why then single out the Saudi's for such humility? Why not make take such a bow to the Queen of England, or the President of France or any of the other world leaders he met during his recent European trip?


    He shook their hands. Shaking hands is the common gesture for politeness in Europe, bowing is in Saudi Arabia. Next topic!

  • harumscarum

    Bas said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*


    He shook their hands. Shaking hands is the common gesture for politeness in Europe, bowing is in Saudi Arabia. Next topic!
    This and I guess next time he should hold hands and  kiss him.



  • ZippyV

    harumscarum said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    This and I guess next time he should hold hands and  kiss him.



  • staceyw

    pdev said:
    ekk, Channel9 doesn't seem like the right place to be talking about politics in such a way...
    This is the coffee house.  It is, and has been, the place for everything.

  • staceyw

    Dr Herbie said:
    You mean he actually bowed? Doesn't he know he's the President of the USA?  I mean, he's actually being polite and showing some humility!  How dare he. The USA has a reputation for arrogance to uphold abroad; he's going to spoil it!

    I acutally read one report that he 'prostrated himself'.  Come one, people are just sitting there trying to think of things to criticise him for and this was a bit weak.

    Herbie
    I suppose the current N. Korea missile test and recent Somali hijack of US ship shows that strategy is working.
    I don't like the way he has been dealing currently with our UK friends or giving the Russians a big red button.  Starting to become very weird.  Anyone having buyer's remorse?

  • ZippyV

    staceyw said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    I suppose the current N. Korea missile test and recent Somali hijack of US ship shows that strategy is working.
    I don't like the way he has been dealing currently with our UK friends or giving the Russians a big red button.  Starting to become very weird.  Anyone having buyer's remorse?
    I'd like to blame Britney Spears for all these problems.

  • harumscarum

    staceyw said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    I suppose the current N. Korea missile test and recent Somali hijack of US ship shows that strategy is working.
    I don't like the way he has been dealing currently with our UK friends or giving the Russians a big red button.  Starting to become very weird.  Anyone having buyer's remorse?
    I don't understand why there is so much paranoia/sensationalism with Obama. Yes he is democrat and will have different viewpoints then those there were in office for the last 8 years. The earth did not end with Clinton and I'm sure it will not with Obama. Sometimes I have to research things on why something Obama did was bad (just like this bowing crap). 

    The pirates are a global problem not a US problem. The only reason why people care now is that it finally happened to a US ship.

  • dahat

    staceyw said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    I suppose the current N. Korea missile test and recent Somali hijack of US ship shows that strategy is working.
    I don't like the way he has been dealing currently with our UK friends or giving the Russians a big red button.  Starting to become very weird.  Anyone having buyer's remorse?
    Tommy,

    Maybe I'm just hopelessly ignorant... but what do I have to apologize for?

    Bas,

    > Shaking hands is the common gesture for politeness in Europe, bowing is in Saudi Arabia. Next topic!

    Key word there is 'common gesture'... the protocol for such leaders interacting tends to be different than you or I and one of those same leaders.

    If it is as you seem to be indicating, a common gesture for such leaders when amongst themselves... then it should be a simple matter to find a case of another US President who has bowed to Saudi royalty (or any other royalty for that matter), more so to any other world leader in such a manner? Or maybe I just missed the video of all of the other G20 leaders showing 'proper respect' to the to the Saudi king by bowing.

    harumscarum,

    So you don't see a difference between kissing/hand holding & bowing? The first two are generally considered mutual acts, while the second is one of prostration unless it is reciprocated... was it? No.

    Heck, care to know what Miss Manners' has written on the subject?

    One does not bow or curtsy to a foreign monarch because the gesture symbolizes recognition of her power over her subjects.
    Care to point to specific and historical cases where such an action is seen as correct?

    It's interesting though you mention kissing... because the French tradition is the double cheek kiss... and yet it was Obama who felt rather hesitant to engage in it period, and still had to be pushed by the French President.

    staceyw,

    The Vice President did say that the administration would be tested early on... and between region 1 DVDs, iPods, miss-translations, bowing, thinking "Austrian" is a language, missile launchesmaking up details of a seemingly non-existent meeting with the former president (just to name a few)... they don't seem to be passing (m)any of the tests.

  • Bas

    dahat said:
    staceyw said:
    *snip*
    Tommy,

    Maybe I'm just hopelessly ignorant... but what do I have to apologize for?

    Bas,

    > Shaking hands is the common gesture for politeness in Europe, bowing is in Saudi Arabia. Next topic!

    Key word there is 'common gesture'... the protocol for such leaders interacting tends to be different than you or I and one of those same leaders.

    If it is as you seem to be indicating, a common gesture for such leaders when amongst themselves... then it should be a simple matter to find a case of another US President who has bowed to Saudi royalty (or any other royalty for that matter), more so to any other world leader in such a manner? Or maybe I just missed the video of all of the other G20 leaders showing 'proper respect' to the to the Saudi king by bowing.

    harumscarum,

    So you don't see a difference between kissing/hand holding & bowing? The first two are generally considered mutual acts, while the second is one of prostration unless it is reciprocated... was it? No.

    Heck, care to know what Miss Manners' has written on the subject?

    One does not bow or curtsy to a foreign monarch because the gesture symbolizes recognition of her power over her subjects.
    Care to point to specific and historical cases where such an action is seen as correct?

    It's interesting though you mention kissing... because the French tradition is the double cheek kiss... and yet it was Obama who felt rather hesitant to engage in it period, and still had to be pushed by the French President.

    staceyw,

    The Vice President did say that the administration would be tested early on... and between region 1 DVDs, iPods, miss-translations, bowing, thinking "Austrian" is a language, missile launchesmaking up details of a seemingly non-existent meeting with the former president (just to name a few)... they don't seem to be passing (m)any of the tests.
    I stand corrected, obviously the United States are about to become a colony of Saudi Arabia and your president is going to steal all your money while he prays to Allah.

    I've seen the light, thanks! Next topic!

  • Minh

    ZippyV said:
    harumscarum said:
    *snip*



    "Bow chka bow chka bow chka bow boooow..."

  • andokai

    I heard he used the wrong fork at dinner too. Impeach!

  • dahat

    Bas said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*
    I stand corrected, obviously the United States are about to become a colony of Saudi Arabia and your president is going to steal all your money while he prays to Allah.

    I've seen the light, thanks! Next topic!
    Conspiracy theories and all joking aside, the issue is actually with President of the United States coming off as weak and aloof and what that does in the eyes of our enemies, adversaries and allies.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.