Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Weird unclickable area.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manabi

I've noticed the past week, there is an area on my screen that is unclickable.

For instance, I'm working with SQL in Access 2007.  An error message pops up that tells me that I'm doing something wrong. I go to click the 'OK' button.  I can't.

I have to move the window up a little bit to click the button.

At the moment, it's around 45% from the top of my screen and seems to vary a little, It was once around 75% and only went from the left side to about 1/5th of the screen width, it's weird. I click on the area, and the taskbar button stays pressed, and the window appears to be deactivated.

4-month-old Toshiba Satellite A350 with Windows Vista x64.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Yep, that's wierd. Boot into safe mode and kill all tasks that aren't part of Windows, and see if it still happens. You may have an always-on-top but transparent window blocking your clicks.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Lauch Microsoft Spy++ and use the "Find Window" tool. Drop it over the window and discover who is putting transparent windows in the middle of the screen.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

You can try use those Virtual Desktop Software. I know some of them have the ability to list out all your windows, even the invisible ones. They used that for their own VD purpose, but, you can use that to find invisible windows instead.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Manabi

ManipUni said:
    Lauch Microsoft Spy++ and use the "Find Window" tool. Drop it over the window and discover who is putting transparent windows in the middle of the screen.
    I don't have Spy++ but I did find Winspector Spy: http://www.windows-spy.com/

It turns out that it's coming from Foobar2000, possibly foo_title.  I just shut down Foobar2000, and the symptoms have disappeared.  I removed dotnet_title.dll from my components folder, and it no longer appears when I run Foobar2000.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.