Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Oracle buys Sun

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

IBM stepped out and Larry's mob stepped in.

Jack Schofield
    has a decently short write up on it, pointing out that IBM may have dropped a tremendous clanger.

Most of the IT pundits seem to reckon that it is a good deal for both Solaris and Java, but don't hold out much hope for Sun's hardware business.

As a Java bod, I'm pretty happy with the deal, but then after years of watching Sun's management twist in the wind for more than ten years, I'd be happy if they'd been bought out by KFC.

• User profile image
    Duanerrr

Doesn't it sorta give them a software/hardware setup like Apple but at more of an enterprise level?

• User profile image
    Ray7

Duanerrr said:
    Doesn't it sorta give them a software/hardware setup like Apple but at more of an enterprise level?
    Yeah, could do.

It's just that Oracle has never had much interest in hardware, unless you count their network computers which I don't believe were great sellers.

• User profile image
    Duanerrr

Ray7 said:
    Duanerrr said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, could do.

It's just that Oracle has never had much interest in hardware, unless you count their network computers which I don't believe were great sellers.

I was just thinking of it as the idea that they could approach buyers with a system with an OS and a DB system all in one from just one vendor.

• User profile image
    Evil SEO

I completely agree. Sun's Java could have really improved that bitter KFC's coffee.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Evil SEO said:
    I completely agree. Sun's Java could have really improved that bitter KFC's coffee.
    How will Oracle's epynonymous DBMS sit with Sun's ownership of MySQL though?

Whilst one is enterprise-level serious biz and the other is used in a small-biz setting one is immensely more profitable. Will they spin it off, kill it, or what?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

W3bbo said:
    Evil SEO said:
    *snip*

Whilst one is enterprise-level serious biz and the other is used in a small-biz setting one is immensely more profitable. Will they spin it off, kill it, or what?
    They will release a express edition of Oracle DBMS called "MySQL"? Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo said:
    Evil SEO said:
    *snip*

If they kill MySQL, I'm sure the guys behind PostgreSQL won't mind so much. Smiley

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Sven Groot said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    If they kill MySQL, I'm sure the guys behind PostgreSQL won't mind so much. Smiley
    If they destroy MySQL im sure everyone will have a fit...

• User profile image
    foreachdev

Cybermagellan said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    If they destroy MySQL im sure everyone will have a fit...
    <asp:Sarcasm>
    Shouldn't we say nobody will have fit. We do not include people who live in their parents basement in the generalization of 'everyone'.

'We' being everyone who actually has a job in the computer industry. Not including graduate students and tenured professors on projects that are theoretical.
    </asp:Sarcasm>

• User profile image
    Bass

Sven Groot said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    I wonder how this affects btrfs more, seeing that now Oracle is in the enterprise operating system business, and btrfs is basically an enterprise operating system filesystem. Plus now they got ZFS. Hell Sun has a massive software portfolio. This is some serious business alright.

• User profile image
    Bass

foreachdev,

You know there are thousands of people who make money as MySQL DB admins. There are MySQL specific certifications, and people who specialize in MySQL administration. These people can easily and often make six figures. So if they live in their parents basement, it's out of their own free will.

• User profile image
    foreachdev

Guess you didn't see the sarcasm tags.

According to MySQL own website you can 'easily' get a DBA for 46k according to their accurate graph at the top Smiley I am sure it is as accurate as your claim that there are thousands that could 'easily' make 100k plus. But I digress.

http://www.mysql.com/dbasavings/

The real point is this topic is off topic and is largely speculative.

• User profile image
    Bass

I don't code ASP/ASP.NET, sorry. Smiley Maybe soon, right now I only do WinForms.

<?php sarcasm(); ?> might work next time.

• User profile image
    foreachdev

Once you move onto WPF the asp:Sarcasm tag will seem less scary to you:)

The 1000s of PHP magic functions to me is scary.

The PHP 'quick' reference:
    http://www.php.net/quickref.php

• User profile image
    Bass

I don't think it's offtopic to talk about what will happen to Sun's products under Oracle rule. I'm pretty sure Oracle was eyeing MySQL (they already own the InnoDB backend, by the way), before Sun bought it. What Oracle wants to do with MySQL is anyone's guess. Oracle might close source future versions of it and sell it as an Oracle DB Web Edition or something. Or they might just drop it entirely. Or they might keep the business going as it is, an open source version and more feature complete enterprise version. Yes it's all speculation but I think it's interesting speculation because MySQL is such an important product to the web right now.

But of course MySQL is just one of many of Sun's products, Sun has an extensive software portfolio that encompasses languages, IDEs, virtualization technologies, office suites, etc etc. Sun is almost a mini Microsoft with a hardware division, without the same business sucess as Microsoft itself. Could Oracle turn Sun's product into business success?

I think $7 billion for this major company was a huge bargin also, besides having all these products Sun still owns substational captial and liquid funds, so when you factor that in Sun really only costed $4-5 billion because Oracle gained all of Sun's money. And they get Java, MySQL, Solaris, SPARC, OpenOffice.org, and all kinds of other stuff for that price. It was a good deal.

• User profile image
    Ray7

You make some good points, but I don't think they'll drop it for one simple reason: Upsell.

I believe that MySQL is one of the most widely used RDBMSs on the market, which gives Oracle a way into thousands of websites.

I think we all need to remember, just because Sun couldn't figure out a way to make Open Source pay, that doesn't mean Oracle won't.

• User profile image
    figuerres

"As a Java bod, I'm pretty happy with the deal, but then after years of watching Sun's management twist in the wind for more than ten years, I'd be happy if they'd been bought out by KFC."

Mmmm that applet is finger licking good!  Heh....  Smiley

the secret recipie with herbs spices and a JVM .....

too funny in a way, or just foolish I guess Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.