Coffeehouse Thread

28 posts

Windows 7 RC1 leaks

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cyonix

Not sure if you guys have seen the news but RC1 looks to have leaked: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/24/windows-7-rc-build-7100-leaks

I may or may not be downloading... Tongue Out

• User profile image
    stevo_

Well, it makes sense if its a couple of weeks away from official release.. I think I can wait- I'm still unsure if it'll become my primary OS until RTM, don't really like the idea of upgrading to RTM later on, I don't care how much they say it'll be fine.. I just, can't believe that.. too many bad memories..

• User profile image
    Cyonix

stevo_ said:
    Well, it makes sense if its a couple of weeks away from official release.. I think I can wait- I'm still unsure if it'll become my primary OS until RTM, don't really like the idea of upgrading to RTM later on, I don't care how much they say it'll be fine.. I just, can't believe that.. too many bad memories..
    I've had such a good experience with Windows 7 I couldn't go back to Vista. It's kind of the same feeling I had when I started using Vista as my primary and tried to go back and use XP.

I'm happy to reinstall my system once RTM comes out. Being able to do a full backup to a VHD and then mount the vhd from in windows makes this process sooo much easier than it used to be.

• User profile image
    Bas

I'm gonna wait for the proper RC release and then just buy a new machine for gaming and screwing around with 7. All my main stuff is on my Vista laptop, and I'm not going to risk that, but as the main OS on a gaming/screwing around rig, what's the worst that could happen?

• User profile image
    stevo_
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

Bas said:
    I'm gonna wait for the proper RC release and then just buy a new machine for gaming and screwing around with 7. All my main stuff is on my Vista laptop, and I'm not going to risk that, but as the main OS on a gaming/screwing around rig, what's the worst that could happen?

This?

• User profile image
    Cyonix
  • User profile image
    Bas

Awesome. I was hoping for those replies. Smiley

Personally, I was hoping for something like this:

If millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, but they're instantly evaporated by a Geonosian superlaser, do they make noise?

• User profile image
    aL_

ive been running beta1 on my production machine sice it came out with very little difficulty Smiley i use two partitions anyway so im not going to loose anything.. the worst that could happen is a fresh os install..

im going to get the RC as soon as it hits msdn Smiley the beta, while good, has a few annoying bugs with file locking and win explorer that gets me from time to time.. but over all win7 pwns vista..  new taskbar / peek is really useful and i find my self trying to shove windows into the top of the screen at home to maximize them..

and xp? i tells, you, ive never looked back.. start menu search is a must now.. also, ive found folder search (in exporer) real useful lately, its great for removing all bin/obj folders in a large solution for example

folder search also has some bugs in the beta though so rc is going to be sweet Smiley

to not be a comlete fanboi i'll say this though,
    they said the taskbar icons would be closer together in the rc but that doesnt seem to be the case :/ i have when it spills over into two rows..
    i also dont like the 'fat' around the searchbox in the start menu.. why isnt it glass like everything else? why us that padding there in the first place?  that sucks..
    over all there are a bunch of white space and padding in explorer id like to see go.. oh well Smiley

• User profile image
    Koogle

Win 7 RC1... pfff *yawn*  I can't be bothered to waste my time on it.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Cool. Is there anything new since Beta? If not, I will stay with beta. I am too lazy to recover my PC Tongue Out

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    CKurt

Koogle said:
    Win 7 RC1... pfff *yawn*  I can't be bothered to waste my time on it.
    Then why do you waste your time giving meaningless comments?

I'm going to try and install it on my external harddrive. Laptop can't be harmed right now, writing my thesis on it!

• User profile image
    littleguru

I have been running 7 as my only OS since January now. My plans are no different for the RC. I'm very happy with the stability of 7, despite it being a beta. The only issues that I had so far was a blue screen out of the sleep, which was caused by NVIDIA drivers and fixed in the most recent drivers for 7.

• User profile image
    jamie

804 meg of 2.36 gig so far.

so this is the one where you have to manually edit cversion.ini to let it install?

im on 7057 - so i should change the text to -7077? even though its 7100  or a lower number?

*hopefully this fixes alot of desktop issues... files not appearing mainly.

Off topic - ive grown to despise ie8 running mulitple services? what ever they changed bogs down 20 tabbed ies. especially on close
    (bomb - 5 minutes to close 20 windows/tabs ... most running google.com (simple page)

*perhaps they isolated the instances of IE because it bombs - but in doing so - they have created a MONSTER ie - that bombs even more.

It reminds me of the new shutdown screen:  Force restart....  because i guess Windows hung for many people - so they add a new layer - allowing you to override the bomb.

Why not just fix the bombing.. instead of adding screens and screens of "overrides"

• User profile image
    Koogle

CKurt said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*
    Then why do you waste your time giving meaningless comments?

I'm going to try and install it on my external harddrive. Laptop can't be harmed right now, writing my thesis on it!
    well writing a quick message expressing my general dissatisfaction with Win7 is a lot different from wasting my time installing said new  OS release after wasting a blank DVDr to put it on, it just seems to have been designed for and tested by monkeys. And its even less effort than wasting my time providing  specific feedback on every mind numbingly stupid issue or just general lack of improvement, MS seem hell bent on making an OS tailored for NOOBS anyway ,So if they want to do the easy thing... let the noobs buy it I say. They'll just have to bring out Win8 quicker I guess.

Maybe Win7 given few years time, once everyone but MS has got around to fixing and improving things with decent (&updated) apps/utils/tweaks/further feature improvements/non-sh\t looking themes and ui customization... and all the good stuff that doesn't seem to come with defaulty nub crap initialy provided... might then be worthwhile using. Either that or they might just get enough things done right in Win8... I dunno how long they can keep pushing out this mixed bag of little bit of good and plenty rubbish... + poor customization over the control and look of things. Right now I have setup that just too damn good to be wasting my time with Win7. Insignicant underhood perf improvements means nothing when you have to put up with the Vista design retardation still hangin around and well more of the same crap design(not just talking about the visuals btw), really aren't any improvements worth really praising just more things that are worse..specially the small niggly issues found all over the place that all add up.

"explorer id like to see go"

yes.. send it to recycling...maybe it can come back as something less sh\t the next time around... that would be a good place to start..  seeing as that stiiinking pile accumulatively holds the biggest amount let downs overall accross the platform. Abit like that other heap o'junk IExploder, surprisngly they have a few things in common in being crap tbh.

ps. new taskbar just sucks balls overal..

• User profile image
    jamie

+1

sad but true. look at the start ORB.  what graphic designer allowed that straight line under a circle?
    oh ... right.. it wasnt it was commitees

ps - just for record - to make that circle work - in a rectangle with a straightline so near to it (above or below) they needed to shrink the orb - to give it - space - breathing room.

but they didnt. they made it as BIG as ballmer possible - in the rectangle

- its these little "football player design issues" that make osx SEEM superior - while it isnt.

example - Steve jobs loves shiny metal plain boxes.  thats why all the icons in OSx are photos of... small metal shiny boxes.

If OSX ever gets real icons like windows (not stupid photos) look out Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

1.18 gig

so ...i rename it 7056? instead of 7057?  7058?
    anyone done this yet?

Disclaimer: having had permission to load the beta - i see no reason not to upgrade whenever possible to newer versions (of unfinished code). Maybe this is frowned upon but i dont see why. Windows 7 will come preinstalled on my next machine. whats the big deal keeping current with testing vers?

check out minimsft's latest thread (comments) theres a guy who WORKS at ms complaining about having to torrent DL the releases...
    dont blame the torrent (messenger)

• User profile image
    littleguru

Hmmm... the orb looks like a round button on a belt. Dunn what's wrong with that...

@Koogle: don't be ridiculous. If you are that much of an expert you know how to install from USB without wasting a DVD Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.