Coffeehouse Thread

46 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

C9 International Avatar Creator

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

Do you like the concept of Jamie's International Avatars?
    Do you have absolutely no graphics skills whatsoever?
    Do you want to prevent jamie from getting RSI from making everybody an avatar?

Then it's my pleasure to introduce you to the first, only, (un)official C9 International Avatar Creator.

I hear you asking: "what can this wonderful application do for me?"

It can scale your avatar to fit into that nice window. Not an exact fit? No matter, it will fill it up with the colour of your choice! And in case you're wondering, yes it handles the rounded borders, even if your image overlaps with them!
    I will also scale your national flag of choice and place it in the appropriate spot, as well as render the text of your choice for the country name.

How much does this technological wonder cost? $500? $1,000? $10,000? No! You get all this for the total sum of $0! You heard it, all that, for free!

Now before you rush out to the store to inquire, this little gem is available exclusively on the Internet, and unfortunately isn't in fact available at all yet, but it will be shortly (after I iron out the last bugs).

So what are you waiting for? Pre-order your copy of the amazing C9 International Avatar Creator today!

(warning: use during pregnancy is not recommended)

EDIT: The app is available here, and the source here. Wiki for reporting bugs/feature requests here.

• User profile image
    Steve411

(warning: use during pregnancy is not recommended)

hahaha. Good app, this will be usefull. Thank you. Smiley

• User profile image
    Tensor

Sounds like a great Idea - soon as its up I will use it to tidy up after my woeful graphical skills Smiley

Suggestion for C9 types - why not take the code from this and tie it in to the avatar import on the profile as an option?

• User profile image
    Sabot

Tensor wrote:

Sounds like a great Idea - soon as its up I will use it to tidy up after my woeful graphical skills Smiley

Suggestion for C9 types - why not take the code from this and tie it in to the avatar import on the profile as an option?

My graphical skills are next to zero as well, so I'll re-do my avatar (can it be an avatar if it really is a picture of yourself?)

So do you prefer the mug-shot or my eyeball? Toughie.

Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Okay, the first version is up. I'm not too thrilled with the country name rendering, you may need to fiddle a bit with the font if it doesn't look right.

The application
    The source code (VB.NET)

Charles, all the grunt work is in Avatar.vb, feel free to use that as a basis if you want to implement a server-side version of this.

Jamie, feel free to put this up at the C9 downloads site.

It requires .Net 1.1 to run. It almost works with Mono 1.1.4, as long as you type the filenames (the OpenFileDialog is not implemented yet), not can you pick a color (the ColorDialog is actually finished but not yet available in the latest release), but most crucially you can't save the avatar since the SaveFileDialog isn't implemented yet either. Anyway, when Mono Windows Forms gets completed some more this should also work under Linux.

For now Windows & .Net 1.1 required.

EDIT: It doesn't include any flag images, just get the one you need here.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Good job, Sven Groot. Better than me I'd have to say. Smiley Keep those projects coming!

edit: A few things :

• Allow the flag images to come from an http source
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

Good idea. I've already found a bug. It may not work if the images for the avatar aren't in the same folder as the application. I will fix that.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Sven Groot wrote:
    Good idea. I've already found a bug. It may not work if the images for the avatar aren't in the same folder as the application. I will fix that.

Add them as a resource.

Imports System.Resources

Dim rw As New ResourceWriter("AvatarKit.whatEver")
    rw.AddResource("back_image.png",byte[] back_Image)
    rw.AddResource("av_bo.png",byte[] ab_bo)

Dim r As New ResourceManager("AvatarKit.whatEver",typeof(whatEver).Assembly())
    r.GetObject("back_image.png")

{note that its been a while since I done something in VB}

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

That is in fact exactly what I was going to do. Wink

Only I usually just set them as "Embedded resource" in VS and then use System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream("AvatarIntl.top.png").

EDIT: I've uploaded the corrected version, but I have to wait for the Apache server to recycle my public_html directory before the new version shows up.

• User profile image
    Rossj

It looks like we need a Coding Frenzy channel ...

• User profile image
    Steve411

Sven Groot wrote:
    That is in fact exactly what I was going to do.

Only I usually just set them as "Embedded resource" in VS and then use System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream("AvatarIntl.top.png").

EDIT: I've uploaded the corrected version, but I have to wait for the Apache server to recycle my public_html directory before the new version shows up.

See, not good at VB here. Wink Was my first language but moved up to C# right after that. Convert that to C# for me?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It's exactly the same in C#. You can set any file in the Solution Explorer to build action "Embedded resource", and then you can get a stream to that resource using System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream(resourceName)

ResourceName is the base namespace for the project + the path from the project root directory to the file.

• User profile image
    sbc

Steve411 wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote:That is in fact exactly what I was going to do.

See, not good at VB here. Was my first language but moved up to C# right after that. Convert that to C# for me?

SharpDevelop can convert VB.NET to C# (and vice-versa)

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

The new version has appeared.

Once again:
    The application
    The source code (VB.NET)

• User profile image
    Steve411

sbc wrote:
    Steve411 wrote:
    Sven Groot wrote: That is in fact exactly what I was going to do.

See, not good at VB here. Was my first language but moved up to C# right after that. Convert that to C# for me?

SharpDevelop can convert VB.NET to C# (and vice-versa)

Thanks. I think i've used that before, for a 15 meg project i did. [thats a lot of code for me Wink]

• User profile image
    Steve411

Sven Groot wrote:
    The new version has appeared.

Once again:
    The application
    The source code (VB.NET)

Flag can not be retreived from an HTTP source. Want me to do that?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

No, I'm adding that now. I just wanted to get the blatant bug removed first.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Sven Groot wrote:

No, I'm adding that now. I just wanted to get the blatant bug removed first.

Ok.. shoot [parents waking up]

• Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.