Coffeehouse Thread

46 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Absolutely Brilliant, Windows XP Mode in 7

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

• User profile image
    Evil SEO

W3bbo said:
    Evil SEO said:
    *snip*
    Those techniques aren't reliable. For instance, different versions of IE installed on the same computer all use the same registry key to for their user-agent string, so on a computer with IE8 and IE6 installed IE6 will report itself as being IE8.
    If you want to fully run older versions of IE and not just using their engines try IE Collection,the rendering is very reliable and I don't recall having user agent issues, all the versions seem to send the correct string. Obviously running those older versions isn't 100% reliable because nobody ensures you that they will behave exactly like they would on their original OS with only compatible plugins but I never had different results apart from plugins like flash not working properly on older IE versions but that's what virtual machines are made for.

• User profile image
    Bas

Evil SEO said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    If you want to fully run older versions of IE and not just using their engines try IE Collection,the rendering is very reliable and I don't recall having user agent issues, all the versions seem to send the correct string. Obviously running those older versions isn't 100% reliable because nobody ensures you that they will behave exactly like they would on their original OS with only compatible plugins but I never had different results apart from plugins like flash not working properly on older IE versions but that's what virtual machines are made for.
    If I understand it correctly, that's the interesting thing about Expression Web Superpreview: rather than run or emulate other rendering engines, it sends a request for the page to some server, which then renders it on the target platform, and then sends an image of the output back. So in theory this could mean that you can tell exactly what your page would look like in Safari under OSX (including OSX's fonts and everything) without actually having to own a mac or runs OSX/Safari, because the server will render it on an OSX machine for you.

• User profile image
    VB Man

Bas said:
    Evil SEO said:
    *snip*
    If I understand it correctly, that's the interesting thing about Expression Web Superpreview: rather than run or emulate other rendering engines, it sends a request for the page to some server, which then renders it on the target platform, and then sends an image of the output back. So in theory this could mean that you can tell exactly what your page would look like in Safari under OSX (including OSX's fonts and everything) without actually having to own a mac or runs OSX/Safari, because the server will render it on an OSX machine for you.
    http://litmusapp.com/

(channel9 still sucks at trying to sign in. it is bad when microsoft employees cannot use microsoft tech)

• User profile image
    stevo_

VB Man said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    http://litmusapp.com/

(channel9 still sucks at trying to sign in. it is bad when microsoft employees cannot use microsoft tech)
    Uh theres quite a few sites that do this even for free.. but the model is different.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

ManipUni said:
    Before you all start getting carried away with this "free XP licence" thing... There is no evidence that this will be licenced for stand-alone usage. They could (and likely will) only licence it to be run within the virtual machine.

As I said this is just a carbon-copy of what OS X did to OS 9.

Super duper cool. I will remember to buy Win7 Pro or higher for this babe. Smiley

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Evil SEO

Bas said:
    Evil SEO said:
    *snip*
    It's not interesting at all because there are many websites that do the same job for free but an image of the page can't show you if scripts and videos/applets work as intended, you need to have the browser in front of you to check if everything is working properly.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Evil SEO said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    It's not interesting at all because there are many websites that do the same job for free but an image of the page can't show you if scripts and videos/applets work as intended, you need to have the browser in front of you to check if everything is working properly.
    I thought it is like Remote Desktop or Virtual Lab to that server. So it is interactive and purely running on the proper hardware and software.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

Evil SEO said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    Fact: if more than one thing can do something interesting, it's automatically not interesting. Thanks, guy!

• User profile image
    elmer

blowdart said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    If you could run IE6 in it ........

IE6 example demo'd - albeit a crappy demo.

http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/04/28/windows-xp-mode-internals-part-2-application-publishing-magic/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.