Coffeehouse Thread

55 posts

Sheila gets a HP

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ray7

The usual drill, and another win for HP.

I'm wondering if HP is fronting some of the money for these commercials ...

• User profile image
    CKurt

They must be...
    HP was the platinum sponser for PDC08 i think and supplied ALL the machines. Maybe that's why ?

• User profile image
    littleguru

I wonder what Apple pays to be in all of the OSX ads Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Bass

littleguru said:
    I wonder what Apple pays to be in all of the OSX ads Tongue Out
    If I could get even 1% of the money Apple and Microsoft spend on advertisements per year I would be a very happy man.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Bass said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*
    If I could get even 1% of the money Apple and Microsoft spend on advertisements per year I would be a very happy man.
    Well, if I could get 1% of the money Microsoft spends on anything per year, I would probably be happy. Be it software licenses, dairy products or vermin extermination.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Yggdrasil said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*
    Well, if I could get 1% of the money Microsoft spends on anything per year, I would probably be happy. Be it software licenses, dairy products or vermin extermination.
    Given Microsoft's SDE employees are salaried I wonder how much I've personally cost Microsoft from the time I've spent hours distracting numerous developers in multiple departments with long IM conversations.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

W3bbo said:
    Yggdrasil said:
    *snip*
    Given Microsoft's SDE employees are salaried I wonder how much I've personally cost Microsoft from the time I've spent hours distracting numerous developers in multiple departments with long IM conversations.
    You should just ask MS to pay you to stop.  It would be a win-win scenario Big Smile

Herbie

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Dr Herbie said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    You should just ask MS to pay you to stop.  It would be a win-win scenario Big Smile

Herbie
    I just watched the advert... she claims to be a filmmaker, yet goes for Vista, even though the MacBook she touched on met all of her requirements and runs FinalCut Pro?

• User profile image
    bureX

W3bbo said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    I just watched the advert... she claims to be a filmmaker, yet goes for Vista, even though the MacBook she touched on met all of her requirements and runs FinalCut Pro?
    Is FinalCut Pro the only video editing/production software available on the market?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

bureX said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    Is FinalCut Pro the only video editing/production software available on the market?
    No, but it's like the Photoshop of video editing, but unlike Photoshop it's only available on the Mac platform.

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

W3bbo said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

I do video editing as a hobby and took classes on it in college.  Sony Vegas is way better than Final Cut Pro and has been for a long time.  Plus on a PC you have the option of running the really fance effects programs like Combustion.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    BHpaddock

yman said:
    BHpaddock said:
    *snip*
    One could probably argue that Avid Media Composer is the industry standard, although it's facing heavy competition in the independent sector by Final Cut Pro. I think I've remember reading somewhere that in general Media Composer is run on more PCs than Macs.

However, Media Composer is more turn-key and Avid like you to purchase computer ranges which they personally support. Adobe Premiere is probably the better option to run on an off-the-shelf machine.
    I haven't looked at the newest version of Premiere, but last I checked, Vegas kicked its butt. 

• User profile image
    elmer

I wonder if she bought one of the models with the faulty Nvidia graphics that HP are treating some of their users so badly about.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/163918/hp_still_getting_heat_on_nvidia_graphics_chips.html

• User profile image
    Ray7

W3bbo said:
    bureX said:
    *snip*
    No, but it's like the Photoshop of video editing, but unlike Photoshop it's only available on the Mac platform.
    Most film makers I come across use Avid; the amateur folks also get very good results with Premiere (which I personally prefer to Final Cut). The Sony Vegas line is widely regarded gets mentioned in all the best buys too, though I haven't spent much time with it myself.

I think the idea that film makers automatically steer towards a Mac is a bit of a myth these days. Video is a great reason to move to 64-bit, and Apple is still way behind in Windows in that regard.

On the advert though, if Sheila is a film maker, then she will have already picked her software already. So if she happened to be a FCP user, then she would buy a Mac no matter what the price. If she's a Premiere or a Sony or an Avid bod, then the Mac was already out of the running.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ray7 said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    Most film makers I come across use Avid; the amateur folks also get very good results with Premiere (which I personally prefer to Final Cut). The Sony Vegas line is widely regarded gets mentioned in all the best buys too, though I haven't spent much time with it myself.

I think the idea that film makers automatically steer towards a Mac is a bit of a myth these days. Video is a great reason to move to 64-bit, and Apple is still way behind in Windows in that regard.

On the advert though, if Sheila is a film maker, then she will have already picked her software already. So if she happened to be a FCP user, then she would buy a Mac no matter what the price. If she's a Premiere or a Sony or an Avid bod, then the Mac was already out of the running.

Premier is available for the Mac. And all of Apple's current computers are x64. The MacBook Pros all come with non-TN panels, which is important for an accurate picture, yet most consumer laptops have TN panels, so I wonder how she justified that.

...but wait, all of the people shown in the adverts are buying a laptop almost at a whim after "testing it out" for a few seconds in a retail store. Where's the detailed pre-purchase research? A $2000 laptop is an investment, she should have decided what she was getting before going into the store (and buying online is invariably cheaper anyway).

• User profile image
    Bass

W3bbo said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*
    Premier is available for the Mac. And all of Apple's current computers are x64. The MacBook Pros all come with non-TN panels, which is important for an accurate picture, yet most consumer laptops have TN panels, so I wonder how she justified that.

...but wait, all of the people shown in the adverts are buying a laptop almost at a whim after "testing it out" for a few seconds in a retail store. Where's the detailed pre-purchase research? A $2000 laptop is an investment, she should have decided what she was getting before going into the store (and buying online is invariably cheaper anyway).
    It's an advertisement.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Bass said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    It's an advertisement.
    I think w3bb0 didn't realized that yet Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.