Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft bets big: Windows 7 RC for a year

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/may/01/windows7-rc-free

FTA:

Microsoft has announced that the Release Candidate version of Windows 7 will be available to the public as a free download on May 5. And since the RC version seems to be pretty much finished (I have not tried it), then it's essentially giving it away for more than a year: as mentioned earlier, it won't expire until 1 June next year.

Hmmm, learn from Vista they have (or so it seems)

• User profile image
    Dodo

It also locks your computer (or starts the screensaver) while watching video. I'd buy it just to get rid of that. Smiley

• User profile image
    figuerres

well the terms of all past pre-relase packages from MSFT say that you must update to the RTM version when that becomes availible.  I would not expect this to change.

they give the pre-relase a large window "just in case" there is a delay.

but in a few months when the RTM goes live you will have a legal requirement to stop using the rc bits.

I am sure some folks will hack it etc... but that's another story.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I think Win7's developement is a lot smoother than Vista. We may see RTM earlier. I can't wait. I love Win7 Beta.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    elmer

magicalclick said:
    I think Win7's developement is a lot smoother than Vista. We may see RTM earlier. I can't wait. I love Win7 Beta.
    We may see RTM earlier

Acer's UK MD has already boldly announced the RTM date:  23rd October

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/23846/acer-confirms-windows-7-23-october.phtml

I don't know where/how he got that info on the RTM at this point, but he seems confident.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.