Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

What's the point in delaying Service Packs?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    wastingtime​withforums

Vista SP2 is since over a week RTM'ed, but is stil nowhere to be seen (for the general public at least).

The same was with SP1:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/02/04/announcing-the-rtm-of-windows-vista-sp1.aspx

------------------
    Quote:

"
    Feb 04, 2008
    Hi, Mike Nash here from the Windows Product Management group at Microsoft.  Today we are excited to announce that we have released Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista to manufacturing (RTM) for our first set of languages (English, French, Spanish, German and Japanese).

[.....]

Here's the timing for SP1 availability for current Windows Vista users:

• In mid-March, we will release Windows Vista SP1 to Windows Update (in English, French, Spanish, German and Japanese) and to the download center on microsoft.com.

"

--------------------------

That bloody thing was ready on the fourth of february, but the availability of it was delayed until mid march!
    It seems we are seeing the same pattern with SP2.
    WHAT IS THE POINT?

I understand that it would be foolish to release it now via Windows Update, but what is the argument against releasing it now on the download center? MSDN and technet subscribers can download it now, it's ready and stable, what is the reason behind the * long delays for the general public? It only encourages people to download it from shoddy sources.

Has MS a secret contract with piratebay?

• User profile image
    AndyC

Maybe they're hoping somebody will get off there arse and fix the Group Policy Preference Client and Remote Server Administration Tools so that they can actually be installed after SP2 rather than leaving you up a certain creek without a paddle if you forget to install them first.

Not that it's caused me a bloomin headache all day or anything....

Was it really too much to ask for these to have been rolled into the service pack like any sane person would have done, eh, eh? Bah....

• User profile image
    elmer

That bloody thing was ready on the fourth of february, but the availability of it was delayed until mid march!
    WHAT IS THE POINT?

Giving people time to implement the update blocker, so that all your users don't start updating before you are ready ?

• User profile image
    wastingtime​withforums

elmer said:
    WHAT IS THE POINT?

Giving people time to implement the update blocker, so that all your users don't start updating before you are ready ?

Well, I repeat what I wrote:

---
    I understand that it would be foolish to release it now via Windows Update, but what is the argument against releasing it now on the download center?
    ---

And if you meant that users (on a corporate network) would download it then from download center.... well, duh, if your users can freely download programs from the internet and execute them (with admin privileges) without much hassle, then you're in trouble anyway. With such security... what would stop them to download it from some dodgy site?

• User profile image
    elmer

wastingtimewithforums said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*

Well, I repeat what I wrote:

---
    I understand that it would be foolish to release it now via Windows Update, but what is the argument against releasing it now on the download center?
    ---

And if you meant that users (on a corporate network) would download it then from download center.... well, duh, if your users can freely download programs from the internet and execute them (with admin privileges) without much hassle, then you're in trouble anyway. With such security... what would stop them to download it from some dodgy site?

How about you get an attitude transplant.

I was asking a question... that's why it ended with a question mark.

• User profile image
    wastingtime​withforums

"How about you get an attitude transplant"

Sorry, but we're on the internet after all. I've developed a bad habit because of unpleasant forum/newsgroup experiences, I just can't react calm anymore.

Everywhere I go I see evil internet trolls, armed to their teeth with weapons of mass annoyance: Smileys, stupid rhetoric questions, overuse of question and exclaimation marks and lame speak.

Everytime I see a "Smiley" or a "*g*" or an "lol" I want to punch someone in the face, with some heavy metallic tool.

• User profile image
    elmer

No worries, and yes I also find the business of announcing RTM and then delaying the release to download, a hard one to understand. I’m sure there is a good reason for it somewhere, but it’s certainly not obvious to me right now.

• User profile image
    Bas

"How about you get an attitude transplant"

Sorry, but we're on the internet after all. I've developed a bad habit because of unpleasant forum/newsgroup experiences, I just can't react calm anymore.

Everywhere I go I see evil internet trolls, armed to their teeth with weapons of mass annoyance: Smileys, stupid rhetoric questions, overuse of question and exclaimation marks and lame speak.

Everytime I see a "Smiley" or a "*g*" or an "lol" I want to punch someone in the face, with some heavy metallic tool.
    It's like driving on the highway and seeing everyone drive on the wrong side of the road, eh?

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Bas said:
    *snip*
    It's like driving on the highway and seeing everyone drive on the wrong side of the road, eh?
    My personal theory is: bandwidth.

• User profile image
    wastingtime​withforums

Matthew van Eerde said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*
    My personal theory is: bandwidth.
    Bandwidth?

Let me think about this.. hm, if it will be released now, the Microsoft servers will be stressed NOW. But, if it will be released in a month, then the servers will be busy in a month.. WOW! I can see immediately the advantage of that.

What's the point of this forum if we don't get answers for simple questions? I thought that was the point of Channel9.  Some of you guys here are MS employees, why don't you ask someone on the windows team.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Mathew said this was "theory", and yes their servers are taking a hammering with Windows 7 reaching RC status.

I also think that Vista SP1 is pretty solid, and you have received most of the SP2 updates already. SP2 just condenses the updates that are released, plus the bug fixes. Windows 7 will contain the SP2 fixes so why not try playing around with that?

• User profile image
    wastingtime​withforums

vesuvius said:
    Mathew said this was "theory", and yes their servers are taking a hammering with Windows 7 reaching RC status.

I also think that Vista SP1 is pretty solid, and you have received most of the SP2 updates already. SP2 just condenses the updates that are released, plus the bug fixes. Windows 7 will contain the SP2 fixes so why not try playing around with that?
    The hammering isn't so bad, since I can download everything with maximum speed from microsoft.com now.

It's not that I am so desperate about SP2 ( I could download it immediately from rapidshare anyway), I am just interested in the reason for the delay.

What's the reason for that? SP1 also appeared on download center six weeks after it was RTM'ed, and Win7 was nowhere to be seen back then. So I guess the policy has nothing to do with Win7 in any form

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

My guess would be that it's because they must prepare the web pages, knowledge base articles, and other support documentation for the release, as well as prepare the support staff to handle issues with it.

• User profile image
    wastingtime​withforums

Sven Groot said:
    My guess would be that it's because they must prepare the web pages, knowledge base articles, and other support documentation for the release, as well as prepare the support staff to handle issues with it.

I admit, that makes sense.

• User profile image
    warren

.... in every language supported by the Service Pack, no less.

And it has to be done well.  Microsoft doesn't have the option of doing half-assed Engrish.

• User profile image
    Joiseystud

I think its done to give Technet and MSDN paying customers some value add.  This way they are getting the SP almost a month before people who didnt pay.  I guess theoretically that lets them be prepared to deploy on the day of general availablility.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Joiseystud said:
    I think its done to give Technet and MSDN paying customers some value add.  This way they are getting the SP almost a month before people who didnt pay.  I guess theoretically that lets them be prepared to deploy on the day of general availablility.

also with a smaller number of more "tech" savy users getting the update first they can tell msft a lot about any problems out in "the real world" before millions of less savy users grab it.
    that also gives them a chance to make any last minute fixes like a pre-sp patch to help with late issues.

and the time to get all the docs ready... and train an army of support techs who may have to take calls.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.