Coffeehouse Thread

56 posts

The New Channel 9 Editor

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vesuvius

The previous editor has been vanquished, and hopefully we will start to get more reliability from this proven editor. I think this is a very good move. Simple, no frills, effective.

Thank you Channel 9 Team Cool

I know the "smiley brigade" will be kock-a-hoop! To blowdarts dissaprobation I must add.

Thank you also for the messages that the server was down. I guess Europe is always most likely to suffer "system downs" because of its geographical location.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Woo hoo!

Angel Devil Smiley Big Smile Scared

• User profile image
    Duncanma

The server down messages were not polished or all that helpful, so we'll do better on that... we could actually provide our most recent videos in static form, an ETA for the site coming back, etc... It is definitely something we want to improve.

I'm glad you like the editor. We've decided to stick with the default icons for now, but are definitely interested in changing them at some point. Nathan (who was working on the editor) has checked out many of the links that were provided earlier and I suspect we'll roll out some changes in the future.

Big Smile

• User profile image
    Duncanma

I just noticed an interesting and somewhat sad side affect of our recent updates. During the downtime we moved to a much faster SQL Server machine, and this has caused the issue where sometimes your replies don't show up until you refresh to happen *more* often than before. There is a few seconds of delay before a new post will appear in our query results due to caching and before that would sometimes mean the new comment wouldn't be displayed... but with the faster server it seems nearly 100% guaranteed. I need to work on this, I believe there are some simple changes we can make due to the nature of comments that will remove the issue.

And, to save anyone checking, the bug where editing removes the 'In Reply To' is still there. Erik is aware of it, but we didn't have a fix in before tonight's deployment.

http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Feedback/467146-Editing-a-post-removes-in-reply-to/

By the way, try typing a really long comment Smiley

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Duncanma said:

The server down messages were not polished or all that helpful, so we'll do better on that... we could actually provide our most recent videos in static form, an ETA for the site coming back, etc... It is definitely something we want to improve.

I'm glad you like the editor. We've decided to stick with the default icons for now, but are definitely interested in changing them at some point. Nathan (who was working on the editor) has checked out many of the links that were provided earlier and I suspect we'll roll out some changes in the future.

Big Smile

I think most people will go for reliability rather than looks, and these default ones aren't too bad.

I think the font in the editor may be a little small compared with the previous editor, and it'd be nice for the font in the editor to match the font and font size in the post.

• User profile image
    Duncanma

vesuvius said:
    Duncanma said:
    *snip*

I think most people will go for reliability rather than looks, and these default ones aren't too bad.

I think the font in the editor may be a little small compared with the previous editor, and it'd be nice for the font in the editor to match the font and font size in the post.

Good point about the font. I believe we reference an explicit css file for the editing area so it shouldn't be hard to update.

• User profile image
    Bass

Duncanma said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Good point about the font. I believe we reference an explicit css file for the editing area so it shouldn't be hard to update.

There are some visual glitches (ie  not effecting functionality) with the editor in Google Chrome on Windows XP. Just FYI.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Hopfully no more toolbar is missing error. And hopfully when I click reply, I am not jumping to page1 with no editor at all (meaning can't type anything).

I still hope my youTube stop playing on page1 when I click page2. It was rather stupid to have youTube runing with sound, but no youTube to be seen on page2.

And hopfully I can get a ReplyRoot button. (Un-reply to Bass)

And hopefully my edit shows up, so I don't have to click refresh all the time.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    CKurt

Cool

I have my IE8 set to 'open popup' in new tab. Instead of new windows because some site's say to open there links in new window and i hate a new instance of IE popping up. This unfortunatly means the smilies pop-up comes in a new tab to (not that big a deal since it closes automagicly but still worth a mension)Wink

PS: the server switch also lost the data about wish tread you allready read and untill where (i think)

• User profile image
    giovanni

I like it much more. And it seems that a lot of small bugs on the site have been fixed as well. Good job.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

CKurt said:

Cool

I have my IE8 set to 'open popup' in new tab. Instead of new windows because some site's say to open there links in new window and i hate a new instance of IE popping up. This unfortunatly means the smilies pop-up comes in a new tab to (not that big a deal since it closes automagicly but still worth a mension)Wink

PS: the server switch also lost the data about wish tread you allready read and untill where (i think)

Me too, open in new tab, arggg. I like smillys toolbar instead. I have visited a forum with smily toolbar, so easy to use.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Bas

Nice! Looking good. The dialogs aren't mega-snappy, but a lot better than the old editor. And look: you can click insert image/hyperlink and paste right away, without deleting the http bit or having to manually set focus to the textbox. Perfect.

Also: whoa, the editor grows!

Thanks for the server downtime message. It's weird how just a little line of text explaining what's going on makes finding the site down a lot less annnoying.

Slight error: the tooltip for the insert emoticon icon doesn't have a description.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Bas said:

Nice! Looking good. The dialogs aren't mega-snappy, but a lot better than the old editor. And look: you can click insert image/hyperlink and paste right away, without deleting the http bit or having to manually set focus to the textbox. Perfect.

Also: whoa, the editor grows!

Thanks for the server downtime message. It's weird how just a little line of text explaining what's going on makes finding the site down a lot less annnoying.

Slight error: the tooltip for the insert emoticon icon doesn't have a description.

I didn't see any server downtime message. C9 alternated between being unreachable, reachable but broken (couldn't sign in), and a "Service unavailable" message.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

The "reply" button doesn't work in Firefox. Works fine in IE8 though.

• User profile image
    figuerres

ManipUni said:

The "reply" button doesn't work in Firefox. Works fine in IE8 though.

Neat --

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Just testing source code formatting:

private void DownHeap(int index)
    {
        T item = _heap[index];
        int count = _heap.Count;
        int firstChild = (index << 1) + 1;
        int secondChild = firstChild + 1;
        int smallestChild = (secondChild < count && Comparer.Compare(_heap[secondChild], _heap[firstChild]) < 0) ? secondChild : firstChild;
        while( smallestChild < count && Comparer.Compare(_heap[smallestChild], item) < 0 )
        {
            _heap[index] = _heap[smallestChild];
            index = smallestChild;
            firstChild = (index << 1) + 1;
            secondChild = firstChild + 1;
            smallestChild = (secondChild < count && Comparer.Compare(_heap[secondChild], _heap[firstChild]) < 0) ? secondChild : firstChild;
        }
        _heap[index] = item;
    }

EDIT: Ok, that works, only copy/pasting directly from VS messes up the spacing. And there's still a text overflow issue with long lines of source code.

• User profile image
    Manabi

Sven Groot said:

Just testing source code formatting:

private void DownHeap(int index)
    {
        T item = _heap[index];
        int count = _heap.Count;
        int firstChild = (index << 1) + 1;
        int secondChild = firstChild + 1;
        int smallestChild = (secondChild < count && Comparer.Compare(_heap[secondChild], _heap[firstChild]) < 0) ? secondChild : firstChild;
        while( smallestChild < count && Comparer.Compare(_heap[smallestChild], item) < 0 )
        {
            _heap[index] = _heap[smallestChild];
            index = smallestChild;
            firstChild = (index << 1) + 1;
            secondChild = firstChild + 1;
            smallestChild = (secondChild < count && Comparer.Compare(_heap[secondChild], _heap[firstChild]) < 0) ? secondChild : firstChild;
        }
        _heap[index] = item;
    }

EDIT: Ok, that works, only copy/pasting directly from VS messes up the spacing. And there's still a text overflow issue with long lines of source code.

Hm... When I click on the "Smilies" button, instead of opening in what I assume was to be a second window, it opens in a second tab, restores, resizes my window, and centres it. Very annoying. (It's not like any of us actually clicks it though, right? Wink)

• User profile image
    elmer

Of all the features this or the previous editor have, the most useful is still being disabled... Spill Chocker.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.