Coffeehouse Thread

35 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Apple responds to Laptop Hunter

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bass
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

In the begining the Apple ads had humour. Yes, they were funny - even as a Windows PC user i saw the funny side (and the irony that a Mac is technicaly a PC).

I wouldn't mind the FUD so much if they'd kept the humour, but they're just not funny any more,

• User profile image
    Koogle

LOL...oh they are still funny alright!

If there is one thing I can't fault Apple on(which would be lot actually) ...

...Its that they make damn funny adverts! Unlike Microsofts adverts who come off as almost desperate in appealing to average consumer, shame really.. what with all that hard work that they put into making sh.t noobified OS software & feature designs tailored to appeal to the newbie.

Choosing all the 'right' default settings while making it as easy as possible to have not much choice about how anything shoud work or behave(because y'know, they spend a lot of time figuring out what's best so they must be right_NOT), making what should be quick and easy to do into added hassle, and just generally not really improving the functionality of anything because they just seem to suck at doing it right even when they do try.

I'm a Mac, I'm a Megan Big Smile

Go Mac!

• User profile image
    bureX

I didn't expect them to be quiet, but what I did expect is some sort of a counterattack that would present Macs as budget-friendly machines that "are not expensive at all"... Awww, who the hell am I kidding... I totally expected something like this, but I actually hoped for the former. Congratulations Apple, once again you released a smug cloud over the whole continental US.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I don't expect anything from Mac jerks.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    MasterPi

magicalclick said:

I don't expect anything from Mac jerks.

The Mac guy in the advert looks pretty lonely there.

Reminds me of a cartoon Jamie made a long time ago. Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

bureX said:

I didn't expect them to be quiet, but what I did expect is some sort of a counterattack that would present Macs as budget-friendly machines that "are not expensive at all"... Awww, who the hell am I kidding... I totally expected something like this, but I actually hoped for the former. Congratulations Apple, once again you released a smug cloud over the whole continental US.

...but Apple isn't competing on price, they can't afford to. They compete on quality (especially the quality of experience), the implication is the couple hundred more dollars spent on a Mac is worth it if it means you don't have to put up with the perceived problems Windows computers get.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

W3bbo said:
    bureX said:
    *snip*

...but Apple isn't competing on price, they can't afford to. They compete on quality (especially the quality of experience), the implication is the couple hundred more dollars spent on a Mac is worth it if it means you don't have to put up with the perceived problems Windows computers get.

Yeah thats the difference, the Windows ad had actual facts in it, the Apple one just made stuff up.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Stay quiet? No.

But I thought they'd do better than 'scared and desperate'.

MS said, 'Your machines are overpriced, underspecced and don't run much software.'

Apple said, 'Oh yeah! Well ... well ... you ... YOU SUCK, SO THERE!'

Another ad designed to help convince fanboys to be happy with their fashion decision.

Why not just show what is good about the Mac? What happened to positive advertising?

Can't wait until someone else is running the show ...

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Ray7 said:

Stay quiet? No.

But I thought they'd do better than 'scared and desperate'.

MS said, 'Your machines are overpriced, underspecced and don't run much software.'

Apple said, 'Oh yeah! Well ... well ... you ... YOU SUCK, SO THERE!'

Another ad designed to help convince fanboys to be happy with their fashion decision.

Why not just show what is good about the Mac? What happened to positive advertising?

Can't wait until someone else is running the show ...

They tried that before. The nice looking all-in-one apple thing. But, no one cares because they are expensive. Only Apple fans buy those. So, they give up and use the sabetage tatics. It is like that 10 bucks hug vs free hug video. Eventually everyone will pay for the 10 bucks hug because the guy keep trash talk about his hug is better than free.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    CKurt

I just wonder "computers with big screens". If there would be some people behind mac (each person really representing one product of apple) a lot of them would need to get out of the screen to...

• User profile image
    Erwin Blonk

What doesn't come across in the ad is that Apple has a big gap between how friendly they portray to be and how cease-and-desist they are. I once was thinking 'iPod' and got a letter to stop thinking the word without written permission.

To a certain degree I understand the mechanics. A company, in my opinion, can be a protective as they want to be. If they get too protective, I won't buy their stuff, which is, in turn, my right. Also, there is a difference between how they are and how they portray themselves, I understand that as well, it's marketing, I'm ok with it. To a point, that is. Apple takes it too far.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CKurt said:

I just wonder "computers with big screens". If there would be some people behind mac (each person really representing one product of apple) a lot of them would need to get out of the screen to...

Nah, there'd be just one person for the 17" MacBook Pro. Apple's product range is consolidated and easy to understand. Compare that with Dell's or Sony's where often units where the only difference is the paint job have totally different product names (see: Sony Vaio P).

• User profile image
    stevo_

I haven't watched this but read tons of responses about it and I honestly think it sucked.. it just wasn't a good come back.. it was just.. LOLOLOL WELL... YOU.. HAVE AIDS, LOLOLOLOL.. BUY ME IM SMUG

• User profile image
    AndyC

W3bbo said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Nah, there'd be just one person for the 17" MacBook Pro. Apple's product range is consolidated and easy to understand. Compare that with Dell's or Sony's where often units where the only difference is the paint job have totally different product names (see: Sony Vaio P).

I'm not overly familar with the Sony Vaio range, though to me it looks like the only difference in names based on color is the trailing letter (eg P11Z/W is white, P11Z/R is red). As to Dell, I don't think you can level that complaint at them at all, their product range is very well segregated and I've certainly never seen differently named models varying only by colour.

Apple's laptop range is only easier to understand because they basically have 2 models: "Cheap, small, underpowered" and "Large, overly powerful and very expensive". Unless you count the Air, but you'd have to be crazy drunk to buy one of those things.

• User profile image
    Bass

Apple had a record profit turnout in the middle of a recession (and in the same quarter Microsoft's profit dropped something like 32%). If Apple is being smug, well I think they have pretty damn good reason to be smug with results like that. And I don't think "record profits and revenues" is a sign that there needs to be a change in management either. They are doing something really really right.

• User profile image
    matthews

AndyC said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I'm not overly familar with the Sony Vaio range, though to me it looks like the only difference in names based on color is the trailing letter (eg P11Z/W is white, P11Z/R is red). As to Dell, I don't think you can level that complaint at them at all, their product range is very well segregated and I've certainly never seen differently named models varying only by colour.

Apple's laptop range is only easier to understand because they basically have 2 models: "Cheap, small, underpowered" and "Large, overly powerful and very expensive". Unless you count the Air, but you'd have to be crazy drunk to buy one of those things.

Vostro 1500 is just an all black Inspiron 1520.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Bass said:

Apple had a record profit turnout in the middle of a recession (and in the same quarter Microsoft's profit dropped something like 32%). If Apple is being smug, well I think they have pretty damn good reason to be smug with results like that. And I don't think "record profits and revenues" is a sign that there needs to be a change in management either. They are doing something really really right.

But to make that a truly fair comparison you'd have to compare only parts of the company (e.g. OSX division with Windows division, iPod/iTunes division with ZUNE).

And, although MS do make consumer electronics (such as Zune, xbox etc) they are primarly a software firm, while Apple are primarly a hardware and consumer electronics firm. So that's really not a fair comparison. For instance bussinesses buying less stuff will hit a firm that makes productivity softare, but not a firm that makes mp3 players.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.