Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Today's Site Update

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    The Channel 9 Team

We just posted a few features and a few tweaks that we hope you’ll all enjoy.

Watched Threads – now you can watch threads and see what other people are watching. You’ll notice a new icon in the tools bar of each post when it’s just a pair of glasses, you can click on it to add a thread to your watched threads page, if it’s got a red circle with a stripe through it, you can use it to remove the thread. The link to the watched threads page can be found in your profile page it’s labeled “[more]” and there’s an RSS feed listed there too.

Permalinks – We’ve also added permalinks to all of the posts in the Post view page, you can link directly to a post in any page of a thread by clicking on the “#” at the end of the post’s subject line. There’s one unfortunate side effect of this and it’s that the guids are now broken on the RSS feeds, We're sorry about that, but we think it was worth it, they shouldn’t break again, and now they are actually pointers to the content instead of the top level of the thread.

RSS – true to our nature, we’ve added quite a few RSS feeds to the site, the four that we can remember off hand are:

1. The homepage RSS feed, added in the title bar after labeled “What we’re watching.”
    2. The watched threads feed, after the more link on the user profile pages on the “Watched Threads” title bar.
    3. The user posts feed, after the more link on the user profile pages on the “latest posts” title bar.
    4. The search feed, now you can keep track of your searches with an RSS aggregator. Hopefully this one won’t take us down.

Let us know if we added one that we forgot about. Hope you guys enjoy these features, we’re still cranking on more.

• User profile image
    jamie

Id still like to know what causes this:

As first reported here:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4948

apart from that - thanks for "Watch post" thats handy

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

The document is encoded as UTF-8 and should be coming up as UTF-8 in your browser. If it's not, select the UTF-8 encoding. In your screen-shot, it's being interpreted as the Windows-1252 character set (which might be displayed as 'ISO 8859-1' in your browser).

The document itself doesn't carry an encoding (in fact, it doesn't even carry a DOCTYPE - slap!) so the browser should be using the Content-Type header (which is correct).

IE 6 doesn't have a 'view headers' option so I had to resort to the Mike user agent (i.e. 'telnet channel9.msdn.com 80' and type HTTP headers to the server...)

The online MSDN Library still seems to have a problem with double-encoding: material is posted as UTF-8 but is then passed through an encoding process which interprets the original source material as Windows-1252 and converts to UTF-8. The upshot is that you get weird characters like your screenshot any time you have a character above U+007F.

BTW, could you possibly order the videos by date of posting on the Videos tab, rather than (or in addition to) by the date of the most recent response in the forum page? It would make it a lot easier to find videos I haven't seen rather than ones which are generating a lot of feedback.

• User profile image
    jamie

..my eyes crossed so much while reading that reply that I am now looking at my own brain.. as small as it may be.. lol

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Hey, you channel 9 guys, how about removing the old polls? They are "supposedly" finished and everytime I go to the home page of channel 9 I can still vote on them. Which I do. But it is getting boring voting to get search to be the new feature when it is already here...

So remove the old polls and bring in the new. Please.

• User profile image
    AdamKinney

This site is becoming a model for integrating RSS purposefully into a site.  Nice work guys!

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

Love the new changes...can you add a setting to our profiles for if we'd like to automatically watch all threads we reply to?

• User profile image
    Charles

Good idea.

• User profile image
    eddwo

Any news on getting the videos available for download? I'd really like to watch some of them but with only a 64k connection it just never stops buffering.

• User profile image
    Charles

eddwo wrote:
    Any news on getting the videos available for download?

Yes. We are currently working on this. Timeframe for availability unknown right now. We want to make this happen as much as you do. Working...

Charles

• User profile image
    eddwo

I've found that Net Transport works pretty well for downloading the Videos. You just need to search the page source for the .asx and paste that into Net Transport and it fetches the asx, parses it for the streaming server and downloads the Video as a .wmv.

Hope this helps anyone else like me who is stuck on a slow connection.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Check this out:
    http://www.xsltfilter.com/images/channel9isANNOYING.png

(I've posted this in the Wiki, too).

• User profile image
    Hackersoft

Downloadable video's please.
    Can you create either links next to each video or a seperate secion whereby you can download the videos as I'm having major problems trying to play the video's over a stream.  It actually crashes WMP9 on my XP2 test system.
    I've tried numerous times to try to watch some of the vidlogs posted but have never been able to view even one of them so far.
    So please make it so that you can download the videos and play them locally rather than having to stream.

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Cairo, to fix the problem stop using mozilla and use IE. Can we please have favourite quotes on the user page? it would be really good and bring the c9er's closer together.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Loadsgood wrote:

Cairo, to fix the problem stop using mozilla and use IE.

That's pretty funny.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.