Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

PDF -> XPS

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    PaoloM

Anyone knows of a (free) tool or a .NET library to convert PDF documents (mostly scans) to XPS?

Mucha gracias.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Or even the opposite? Smiley

• User profile image
    AndyC

PaoloM said:

Or even the opposite? Smiley

Aside from printing them through the built in XPS printer (or PDFCreator to go the other way) you mean?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

AndyC said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Aside from printing them through the built in XPS printer (or PDFCreator to go the other way) you mean?

Well, i was looking for something more automated Smiley

• User profile image
    giovanni

PaoloM said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

I am also interested as I like using XPS for storage but I often have to convert to PDF becuase of legacy issues.

• User profile image
    intelman

Sounds like someone needs to make such a thing...

Ideally, we could get rid of Adobe Reader, and just have some program convert to XPS.

• User profile image
    n4cer

PaoloM said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

You might check www.pdfsharp.com for XPS->PDF conversion. The latest build includes a converter preview.

For going the other way, I haven't seen any free tools. You may be able to use PDFSharp to open the PDF and XpsDocumentWriter or System.Printing to convert to XPS.

• User profile image
    intelman

Anyone gotten anywhere with this, the navigation in XPS is awesome.

• User profile image
    contextfree

PaoloM said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

Create an XPS printer driver that redirects the output of the GDI -> XPS converter to the file of your choice, then print the PDFs through the shell.   Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Harlequin

contextfree said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Create an XPS printer driver that redirects the output of the GDI -> XPS converter to the file of your choice, then print the PDFs through the shell.   Tongue Out

Well if I remember right XPS is done with a WPF Xaml subset...so if you want to export XPS to PDF you would want to keep the graphics as graphics and text as text, etc. And XPS can't do hyperlinks so you have that issue.

• User profile image
    RLO

Interesting.  I thought that writing a simple batch script to print the files using the .xps printer would do the trick.  It seems that you can't access the .xps printer through the command line.  It gives back the error PRN unable to initiate, so flipped it around and tried using the quicken .pdf printer, and no go there either. 

Good luck in finding the solution.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

RLO said:

Interesting.  I thought that writing a simple batch script to print the files using the .xps printer would do the trick.  It seems that you can't access the .xps printer through the command line.  It gives back the error PRN unable to initiate, so flipped it around and tried using the quicken .pdf printer, and no go there either. 

Good luck in finding the solution.

Mike Swanson does have that Illustrator plugin that goes from AI -> Xaml, so there's gotta be a way to reverse it from Xaml into .AI. And AI  files are just PDF. If you rename myfile.ai, to myfile.pdf it opens up in Acrobat.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

This has worked for us:

Amyuni makes a product that prints PDFs, and I've personally seen it print to xps, but it isn't strictly .NET in that the .NET classes wrap a COM dll.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.