Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Psychology of Incompetence - Ron Burk

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Minh said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

I don't know if MS programmers are intentionally incompetent... It is without exaggeration to say that MS is the largest software company in the world.

Yet, Windows as an OS hasn't been advanced like it has the largest programming resouce on the planet.

There's been evolutionary changes in any axis you pick, security, user experience, programming, but you know when the changes have been the biggest?

When OSX made a serious play for the desktop. When Linux made a serious play as a free OS...

I don't think MS is guilty of having incompetent programmers (in general, not specific), just guilty of resting on their laurel (and a huge pile of cash).

Besides messing up the current layoffs (or is that LisaB's territory)... I like what Balmer's done...

He saw MS' huge pile of cash, and decide to use it... It might not net any profit (I don't care, I'm no longer a stock holder)... but it gets them moving.

agreed.

the main thing is the coming (reported) apple tablet ( the Applet?) that will run the IPHONE UI

hey ms - call me about meeksearth.com Tongue Out

edit:  nothing ... just - applet .. what a good name!  (only for apple though)

• User profile image
    Charles

jamie said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

agreed.

the main thing is the coming (reported) apple tablet ( the Applet?) that will run the IPHONE UI

Intersting site. Built for touch. Would go well on a larger form factor than a netbook tablet, of course, no matter make or model. In addition, a gesturing system that doesn't require touch, of any form, to start a computation at your behest. That would be cool.

Runtime Error:(NotAnHRESULTException: i) Unable to design a computation to match your thinking. Try again using less thoughts.

There's more to computation than math,

C

• User profile image
    jamie

Charles said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Intersting site. Built for touch. Would go well on a larger form factor than a netbook tablet, of course, no matter make or model. In addition, a gesturing system that doesn't require touch, of any form, to start a computation at your behest. That would be cool.

Runtime Error:(NotAnHRESULTException: i) Unable to design a computation to match your thinking. Try again using less thoughts.

There's more to computation than math,

C

re: math

ah but dolphins are cute!   =  minus what percent?

(thats for phone up to Plasma tv UI)     ... unfinished... idea....

scalable vector...

using flash (sorry- i never use it!)

wish IE was all...sure wmf = fast

edit: reiteration:  I WISH IE would do wmfs (vector) and do them fast and do them like jpgs.   NOT LIKE SILVERLIGHT OR FLASH

I know that wont happen with MS new photo-jpg whatever standard...  but for 10 years .... i have wanted coreldraw files = WMF in a browser that is treeated like math - not an image - BUT - the right mouse is still JPG options ( not flash no options)

dream on

• User profile image
    Minh

jamie said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

agreed.

hey ms - call me about meeksearth.com

Hey, site doesn't work on Firefox nor Chrome

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

jamie said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

re: math

ah but dolphins are cute!   =  minus what percent?

(thats for phone up to Plasma tv UI)     ... unfinished... idea....

scalable vector...

using flash (sorry- i never use it!)

wish IE was all...sure wmf = fast

edit: reiteration:  I WISH IE would do wmfs (vector) and do them fast and do them like jpgs.   NOT LIKE SILVERLIGHT OR FLASH

I know that wont happen with MS new photo-jpg whatever standard...  but for 10 years .... i have wanted coreldraw files = WMF in a browser that is treeated like math - not an image - BUT - the right mouse is still JPG options ( not flash no options)

dream on

WMF is a terribly format that is hard to port to other platforms and very vulnerable to security issues (because it's basically a recorded sequence of GDI commands). There are a bazillion better vector formats out there, including SVG or even Microsoft's own VML. Why get hung up on WMF?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Sven Groot said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

WMF is a terribly format that is hard to port to other platforms and very vulnerable to security issues (because it's basically a recorded sequence of GDI commands). There are a bazillion better vector formats out there, including SVG or even Microsoft's own VML. Why get hung up on WMF?

Well, EMF (better than WMF) is easy to generate, and fast to render. Of course, it's limited to the capabilities of GDI (which means: no gradients).

A few years ago, at work, I used “SQL Server Reporting Services” to render reports in a format based on EMF (basically, a container of compressed EMF-pages), just because we didn't find a suitable way to automate the printing of PDF-files, or just viewing them in our WinForms application. So we rendered the reports (mostly invoices) in both PDF and EMF: the PDF-version could be e-mailed to the customers and the EMF-version was used internally for viewing it (very fast to display, zoom in/out, scroll, …) and printing it.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.