Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Chrome 2.0 released

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Erisan

"It's been about 8 months since we launched Google Chrome. Aside from exclaiming how fast it is, users have been sending us lots of feedback and feature requests. We've increased our focus on speed and also added some of the most-requested features. Some of these improvements made it into the Beta version that we first released in March, and we've continued to improve the Beta since then. Today, we are moving the Beta version to the stable channel for all users to enjoy."

A Speedier Google Chrome for all users

Chromium (Chromium is the open-source project behind Google Chrome)

• User profile image
    matthews

Still no way to hide that horrible "Show Passwords" button == still not going to use it.

• User profile image
    elmer

Whoah! - Holy mother of... this thing is FAST!!

Still wouldn't be my browser of choice, but it does make you wonder why IE and FireFox are such bucket of molasses by comparison.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Seems they fixed the maximise bug Big Smile

• User profile image
    intelman

Wow, Chrome is so fast it is hard to go back to any other browser. Though Firefox 3.5 feels pretty good. IE8 on the other hand just crawls. Especially on sites like Live and Google Maps, and image heavy pages.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

I've been using the 2.0 beta builds, so this isn't a big change for me. Flash performance is still horrible. Having a Flash movie open in a tab causes all tabs to stutter. Ugh.

Still, it's not bad. Javascript is fast but unreliable in all sites, but it gets the job done.

• User profile image
    intelman

Yggdrasil said:

I've been using the 2.0 beta builds, so this isn't a big change for me. Flash performance is still horrible. Having a Flash movie open in a tab causes all tabs to stutter. Ugh.

Still, it's not bad. Javascript is fast but unreliable in all sites, but it gets the job done.

Flash performance seems to suck in IE8 too. Scrolling on a page with flash is horrible, and videos on youtube in "HD mode" stutter quite a bit. FIrefox seems fine though...

The wonderful broken world of browsers.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

intelman said:
    Yggdrasil said:
    *snip*

Flash performance seems to suck in IE8 too. Scrolling on a page with flash is horrible, and videos on youtube in "HD mode" stutter quite a bit. FIrefox seems fine though...

The wonderful broken world of browsers.

The wonderful broken world of Flash.

T,FTFY Smiley

Edit: no strikethrough? C'mon... Smiley

• User profile image
    Erisan

There's definely lots of work to do but must say that I'm pretty impressed how good it is overall just to be only eight months old.

• User profile image
    Ray7

... if only I could trust 'em.

• User profile image
    Koogle

... if only it was more useful, instead of fast and useless

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Koogle said:

... if only it was more useful, instead of fast and useless

Love it... Comment of the year Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Minh

PaoloM said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

T,FTFY Smiley

edit: Soup n.a.z.i pic goes here if C9 doesn't filter URL... haha

Paolo, no formatting for you.

• User profile image
    jamie

Minh said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

edit: Soup n.a.z.i pic goes here if C9 doesn't filter URL... haha

Paolo, no formatting for you.

i like the way they did tabs

i loaded the new one

if its faster - i wouldnt know.

cause i use ie for everything - and ..it is ...SLOW

maybe i shouldnt use it anymore.... Im just used to it...

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

nevermind

• User profile image
    jamie

Ion Todirel said:

nevermind

re: nevermind

thats what i say

(use it to test sites..thats it)

• User profile image
    intelman

PaoloM said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

T,FTFY Smiley

Why does http://www.powerset.com/explore/semhtml/Jersey_Boys freak out IE then? No flash there.

All the browsers blow.

• User profile image
    exoteric

Love the UX and Javascript speed but has experienced it crawl compared to Opera. Seriously crawl. Just connecting to a site took half a minute, whilst Opera was lightning fast. It's no good if the browser is quite fast at rendering when it is slow at loading. It is also, "surprisingly", very fast when using Chrome test suites but on other test suites I've seen Opera be consistently faster. Still not back on the IE bandwagon.

The "Chrome Shorts" are a fun watch though! Smiley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGjv1-nbVQ4&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=483EE5FD751A8625&index=5

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.