• User profile image
    stevo_

Thats fantastic, congrats Jamie.

• User profile image
    jamie

HumanCompiler said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

My signature alone will make its value double by 2012!

im going to frame that wallpaper!

Edit: ok just finished a bunch of work revision emails... back to the future!

• User profile image
    Koogle

that's a sweet gift from c9 init

• User profile image
    vesuvius

jeffsand said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Enjoy!

It is the least we could do after all the years of your participation in the community and for all the art you've created around Channel 9.

People mistakenly seem to think that the stuff Jamie does takes him a few minutes, but he is talented - a euphemism for fastidious about design, hence time consuming - and certainly does make resplendent contribution.

I would feel beyond proud about getting Ozzie to wear "The Ozzman Cometh", but that, the happy birthday theme, and his constant issues with computers are a joy to be involved in most times. I am 'totally' green with envy, but you (as they say nowadays) 'totally' deserved it.

Thank you Channel9 for making this happen.

• User profile image
    exoteric

jamie said:

Generic Forum Image

Generic Forum Image

it even has win 7 already installed on it!

this is too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Jamie. That thing looks sweet!

• User profile image
    jamie

Koogle said:

that's a sweet gift from c9 init

haha - guess id better finish meeks earth .com ..cause it actually WORKS Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

vesuvius said:
    jeffsand said:
    *snip*

People mistakenly seem to think that the stuff Jamie does takes him a few minutes, but he is talented - a euphemism for fastidious about design, hence time consuming - and certainly does make resplendent contribution.

I would feel beyond proud about getting Ozzie to wear "The Ozzman Cometh", but that, the happy birthday theme, and his constant issues with computers are a joy to be involved in most times. I am 'totally' green with envy, but you (as they say nowadays) 'totally' deserved it.

Thank you Channel9 for making this happen.

thanks for that.  ill work on the "most times" part Smiley

(crap - jumped a page - ill repost the vid so people dont have to click BACK)

Edit:  this thing is going to be great to test touch UI's  ... ive never understood my facination with kiosks (remember all the full screen posts?)

im not sure it is for drawing tho...  i think ill be able to do more with it - designing touch UIs than paintings..  as there is no pen - hard to draw with finger...

but i am loading all my graphics apps now on dvd - going up to install and see if finger is possible

(again - its amazing...just not sure its for painting? )

edit:  Q:  what is the difference between the touch smart pc screen touch technology - and the tablet pc - pen - touch screen technology?

it seems the touch smart is for kiosk style interaction - where as the tablet is more like wacom - but on screen (where you draw)

Q: is the tech basically the same?  ie - will there / might there be a pen that (like on the tablet pc) would ignore if your wrist rests on the screen? (or does it?)

ps - from here on in - its product review ... but ill say THANK YOU!!!!!! one more time! Smiley

Edit 2: I havent even gotten to the part where this thing is going to run my whole house / media / photos....  for now - just wondering about the drawing part

• User profile image
    jamie

jamie said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Edit:  this thing is going to be great to test touch UI's  ... ive never understood my facination with kiosks (remember all the full screen posts?)

im not sure it is for drawing tho...  i think ill be able to do more with it - designing touch UIs than paintings..  as there is no pen - hard to draw with finger...

but i am loading all my graphics apps now on dvd - going up to install and see if finger is possible

edit:  Q:  what is the difference between the touch smart pc screen touch technology - and the tablet pc - pen - touch screen technology?

it seems the touch smart is for kiosk style interaction - where as the tablet is more like wacom - but on screen (where you draw)

Q: is the tech basically the same?  ie - will there / might there be a pen that (like on the tablet pc) would ignore if your wrist rests on the screen? (or does it?)

ps - from here on in - its product review ... but ill say THANK YOU!!!!!! one more time! Smiley

Edit 2: I havent even gotten to the part where this thing is going to run my whole house / media / photos....  for now - just wondering about the drawing part

pps - it probably is just for kiosk ... which is fine as ..i think ive posted about kiosks, fullscreen, iphone and uis more than most

but ms should consider making this support the tablet / pen thing too.  i could put it in a suitcase (with wheels) and bring it to board-room meetings with me:

" just give me a sec to plug in my tablet" ( doesnt use back rest - uses in lap - pulls out pen...)

that would be fun.. 25" tablet  Wink

• User profile image
    blowdart

jamie said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

I played with one of those, you're right in the angle is all wrong for any prolonged touch use... however .... the touch stuff ... it's the same API for Surface I believe ....

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

amazingly cool!!!! the CIA tag rocked Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

HumanCompiler said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

My signature alone will make its value double by 2012!

haha, right Smiley

• User profile image
    PaoloM

jamie said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

haha - guess id better finish meeks earth .com ..cause it actually WORKS Smiley

Pretty awesome... Smiley

• User profile image
    kettch

jamie said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

pps - it probably is just for kiosk ... which is fine as ..i think ive posted about kiosks, fullscreen, iphone and uis more than most

but ms should consider making this support the tablet / pen thing too.  i could put it in a suitcase (with wheels) and bring it to board-room meetings with me:

" just give me a sec to plug in my tablet" ( doesnt use back rest - uses in lap - pulls out pen...)

that would be fun.. 25" tablet  Wink

I believe that the TouchSmart actually uses a limited infrared matrix, but it's limited to about two points of contact. I'm not sure if that's hardware or drivers.

It's not really made for pen interaction. You might be able to do some fingerpainting as was suggested earlier.

• User profile image
    jamie

kettch said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

I believe that the TouchSmart actually uses a limited infrared matrix, but it's limited to about two points of contact. I'm not sure if that's hardware or drivers.

It's not really made for pen interaction. You might be able to do some fingerpainting as was suggested earlier.

..which - given the alternative of doing mouse scratches for paint lines - is still better.

i will experiment..... 

(ps - it does work using - blunt objects - its just the resting of the hand that freaks it out)

*working on ways around that...

(*iphone ONLY works with finger..) = this smarter

pps - if you move the taskbar to the top - it doesnt work with finger (only mouse)

NOT ENOUGH TESTING

oh well... still love it Wink

• User profile image
    kettch

jamie said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

..which - given the alternative of doing mouse scratches for paint lines - is still better.

i will experiment..... 

(ps - it does work using - blunt objects - its just the resting of the hand that freaks it out)

*working on ways around that...

(*iphone ONLY works with finger..) = this smarter

pps - if you move the taskbar to the top - it doesnt work with finger (only mouse)

NOT ENOUGH TESTING

oh well... still love it Wink

One of the videos I saw that used the TouchSmart indicated that because of the nature of the IR matrix, you could even hover over the screen within a centimeter or so, and it would register as contact.

What about the taskbar doesn't work?

• User profile image
    RLO

jamie said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Jamie, be careful about installing games like bookworm deluxe .  You will never get any work done.

It does use an infared sensor matrix to simulate touch.  It's awesome because you get the full gloss of the monitor without any funky film on it.  More on the infared can be found here  at next window.

The real cool thing is the light for the keyboard.  If you look on the left hand side you will find a button that will shine a light directly below the screen.

The one thing i have yet to try on mine is turning on the speech recognition and go for the trifecta of input using speech, touch, and mouse/keyboard.

• User profile image
    jamie

RLO said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

Jamie, be careful about installing games like bookworm deluxe .  You will never get any work done.

It does use an infared sensor matrix to simulate touch.  It's awesome because you get the full gloss of the monitor without any funky film on it.  More on the infared can be found here  at next window.

The real cool thing is the light for the keyboard.  If you look on the left hand side you will find a button that will shine a light directly below the screen.

The one thing i have yet to try on mine is turning on the speech recognition and go for the trifecta of input using speech, touch, and mouse/keyboard.

oh i found the "light the keyboard switch"

shweng!

• User profile image
    Minh

jamie said:
    RLO said:
    *snip*

oh i found the "light the keyboard switch"

shweng!

Very cool gadget... If you happen to download and install ArtRage, please post some paintings... I'd like to know how well it works.

PS

Don't let this computer go to your head and join scientology or nothing Smiley

Generic Forum Image

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.