Coffeehouse Thread

48 posts

I wonder where my hotel is, let me look it up on -Bing Maps-.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bas

Seriously, guys. Bing Maps?  FAIL.

Also:

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Does Microsoft seriously think that people are going to start saying "Bing it" just because they named the service Bing? That's just as bad as thinking people will use the verb "squirt" when using Zune, although thankfully Zune marketing was smart enough not to carry with that.

I think Kumo would have been a much better name. Bing sounds cheesey, and this marketing video is also cheesey; it reminds me of all of the aspirational marketing videos from the early 90s telling you about how a product will change your life

http://www.discoverbing.com/behindbing/videos.aspx

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Refrax

brian.shapiro said:

Generic Forum Image

it makes me think that "bing" is what would be said after a search and not before. but then leaves what to say to do the search, like to "google" something. maybe you google to search and bing to find?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Refrax said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

it makes me think that "bing" is what would be said after a search and not before. but then leaves what to say to do the search, like to "google" something. maybe you google to search and bing to find?

Kumo could have worked. People could say "I'll go on kumo". The need to find a replacement for "Google" in "Google it" is a bit desperate; Microsoft can't make people say Bing it if they dont want to.

It reminds me of how Cold Stone Creamery names its serving sizes: like it, love it, gotta have it. Customers want to tell the cashiers, small, medium and large. Please don't patronize consumers

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Refrax said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

Yea, it'll probably be 'find it on bing'

• User profile image
    ManipUni

This is how I see the conversation going...
    - I need to find something on the internet
    Try bing
    - What's bing?
    You know, Live Search
    - Oh... Why didn't you just say that?
    I dunno they rebranded it again for the fifth time...

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Arghh........ what an epic fail. That's bing it, WTH. Even though Kumo sounds like Sumo, it is still way better. I don't get it, who is in charge of Live Branding? Worst Ever.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

brian.shapiro said:

Generic Forum Image

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Charles

Bing represents more than a new branding... It's not Live Search rebranded. Bing is a new search engine that is also a decision engine. So, in some sense, Bing is Microsoft's latest attempt at evolving general purpose search as opposed to being simply a new name for Live Search... Stay tuned for more meaningful information over the coming days and weeks.

C

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

brian.shapiro said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*

Generic Forum Image

(That's Sigourney Weaver isn't it, Brian?)

What I want to know is will it play "White Christmas" while we are "deciding"?    

Who is The Decider now anyway?

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Charles said:

Bing represents more than a new branding... It's not Live Search rebranded. Bing is a new search engine that is also a decision engine. So, in some sense, Bing is Microsoft's latest attempt at evolving general purpose search as opposed to being simply a new name for Live Search... Stay tuned for more meaningful information over the coming days and weeks.

C

I hope to try it out. I like Live Search so I think Microsoft will do well, I'm just making fun of the name.

I know that Microsoft is currently focusing on organizing search results because thats what the average user wants, but I hope they also intend to focus on search features for power users. I often search for things that aren't popular searches, and I want to find every bit of information about it thats on the web so I need to scour the search index, and it doesn't help me at all what most people are searching for.

What I need is more pages indexed, and a more advanced query syntax. Alta Vista for instance used to let me specify the word "NEAR" so it would search for pages where a word was close to another word.

• User profile image
    intelman

Charles said:

C

Is that why it keeps redicrecting me to http://www.decisionengine.com/Default.html"> http://www.decisionengine.com/ ?

I have high expectations. Is "Bing Maps" a rebranded Live Maps, or is it much better?

• User profile image
    Bas

Charles said:

C

I'm all for a new kind of search engine. I'm all against yet another nonsensical renaming of the Live brand. I really hope we won't use our Bing ID's to sign into Bing Hotmail, or download Windows Bing Mail to add appointments to our Bing Calendar while chatting with our contacts in Windows Bing Messenger.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Bas said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

I'm all for a new kind of search engine. I'm all against yet another nonsensical renaming of the Live brand. I really hope we won't use our Bing ID's to sign into Bing Hotmail, or download Windows Bing Mail to add appointments to our Bing Calendar while chatting with our contacts in Windows Bing Messenger.

Put down the Bing, Mr. Phelps...    

• User profile image
    Bass

Bas said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

I had it with all you bingers complainging all the binging time, while don't you just bing yourself for bings sakes, you bing. Fucker.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I think what will happen is people will "google it on Bing". Just like they buy a new Zune iPod or blow their nose into Scott's kleenex.

• User profile image
    Bass

spivonious said:

I think what will happen is people will "google it on Bing". Just like they buy a new Zune iPod or blow their nose into Scott's kleenex.

Na, they are trying something different then being a fake Google. That's why they changed the name, they wanna build a brand (or at least reattempt to build a brand). At worst this will still respark interest in Live Search for a couple weeks. It's not a perticularly risky move, they have nothing to lose really, Live Search has been doing terrible. Hell if it disappeared tommorow Microsoft's profit margin would be soaring. So nothing to lose and everything to gain from doing things like this.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.