Coffeehouse Thread

48 posts

I wonder where my hotel is, let me look it up on -Bing Maps-.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    staceyw
  • User profile image
    intelman

Are there any bing invite codes given out to niners? I tried to obtain one via Facebook and Twitter . Anyone at "Bing" feeling generous?

• User profile image
    RLO

intelman said:

Are there any bing invite codes given out to niners? I tried to obtain one via Facebook and Twitter . Anyone at "Bing" feeling generous?

I have no idea why I am getting it, but it does appear to be Bing with the live search branding, and it's only showing up on my UMPC, and none of the other computers running 7.

Nuts

(Updated with images) Live Splash Page with Bing Home Depot Search Results with Bing?

• User profile image
    kriskdf

RLO said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

I have no idea why I am getting it, but it does appear to be Bing with the live search branding, and it's only showing up on my UMPC, and none of the other computers running 7.

Nuts

(Updated with images) Live Splash Page with Bing Home Depot Search Results with Bing?

Hey RLO,  we try out our new stuff with real users to make sure it is good.  You are probably one of our unknowing "testers".  Some blogs have posted similar screen shots for a week or so.

• User profile image
    intelman

RLO said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

Nuts

Wonder how they control that.

• User profile image
    Ray7

Bass said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

Na, they are trying something different then being a fake Google. That's why they changed the name, they wanna build a brand (or at least reattempt to build a brand). At worst this will still respark interest in Live Search for a couple weeks. It's not a perticularly risky move, they have nothing to lose really, Live Search has been doing terrible. Hell if it disappeared tommorow Microsoft's profit margin would be soaring. So nothing to lose and everything to gain from doing things like this.

As I said in the other thread; branding isn't the problem. There is just no compelling reason to switch from Google. I use Wolfram Alpha more than I use Live/Bing/Whatever.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Ray7 said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

As I said in the other thread; branding isn't the problem. There is just no compelling reason to switch from Google. I use Wolfram Alpha more than I use Live/Bing/Whatever.

Looking at the D7 video with Steve Balmer it looks like that they are putting allot of inteligence into the search and giving you the answer you want on the page and not the top of the SEO stack, saving the extra click.

In my opinion Google has gone SEO mad which effects the search results so the best/official answer to a question is overridden by the most popular or deeper wallets answer.

I'm not saying that Bing is the answer but is the search is good, people will forget how silly the name is intime. Just like Yahoo and Google ... both silly names.

Bing is a silly name but thats the point, it's draw attention so you are more likely to see what all the fuss is about ... and if it's good you will continue to use it.  

• User profile image
    stevo_

Microsoft Live Search Engine V4.0 - Ugh typical MS product name, the marketing guys suck..

Bing - Ugh what does that mean, shouldn't it be Microsoft Live Search Engine V4.0..

Jus' sayin'

• User profile image
    The_Saint

So,

'bing' it is then. I think the ad dept has produced a master stroke here. If we take the 'g' to mean 'you know who', then we are being told, in a subliminal manner, to 'bin-google'. Which is very cute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subliminal_message

The 'decision engine' angle is very nice though, and the concept looks very promising...

• User profile image
    Bass

Ray7 said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Let them take some risks with this search thing, "Live Search" has been failing, the worst "Bing" can do is also fail, which doesn't change the status quo. This isn't like taking risks with Office and Windows, as I said if Live/Bing was to be dumped tommorow, Microsoft net profit would actually increase. So there is nothing really to f**k up here. There is potential for increase revenue and no massive risk by doing something like this.

• User profile image
    bitdisaster

In the end the name doesn't matter. In the first minute I also thought - what a stupid name. But what is Google??? It's a good name because it's good service. If Bing offers superior features as Google did in the past then I will promise everthing is Bing.

• User profile image
    exoteric

Bas said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

By all means, take everything extremely literally.

Seriously, it's about being precise when trying to make a point.

One point I agree with though - it'll be a little awkward with Bing Maps et al.

The driving decision here must have been that 1) this is a new search engine and 2) the name needs to be short; you don't say "let me live search that for you" - although it's almost acceptable.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.