Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Microsoft rebrands Hotmail/MSN/Live/.Net/Microsoft Search (Again)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

This time the new branding is "Bing." So you can look forward to logging into - Microsoft Windows Bing Hotmail Live MSN Office Communicator Messenger 2003 .Net Professional Smiley

• User profile image
    figuerres

OMG -- STOP THE MADDNESS!!!! Perplexed Expressionless

• User profile image
    Bass

You forgot "Active", "Active" was Microsoft's pet brand of the late 90s.

Microsoft Active Windows Bing Hotmail Live MSN Office Communicator Messenger 2003 .Net Professional

Sorry.. Blushing

• User profile image
    spivonious

Are you sure? I thought they just renamed Kumo to Bing. At least Bing.com makes it seem like it's only search.

• User profile image
    Sabot

spivonious said:

Are you sure? I thought they just renamed Kumo to Bing. At least Bing.com makes it seem like it's only search.

So is this the Basic, Express, Home, Business, Pro, Ultimate, Standard, Enterprise R2 2009 version?

• User profile image
    webmonkey

spivonious said:

That sounds like what Ballmer was saying at D7, that the reason for the name is they wanted something just for search.

• User profile image
    rhm

OK, the name is stupid - reminds of Chandler BING from Friends - but will it be any good as a search engine? Got to say I'm not that impressed with Google lately, they've been letting SEOers get away with murder, so there's a chance a better search could get at least one user Smiley

• User profile image
    Sabot

rhm said:

OK, the name is stupid - reminds of Chandler BING from Friends - but will it be any good as a search engine? Got to say I'm not that impressed with Google lately, they've been letting SEOers get away with murder, so there's a chance a better search could get at least one user Smiley

Agreed.

I've been using other search engines recently as Google does seem to have lost focus on who exactly is the customer, perhaps it's still in Beta?

Bing is a silly name but it is a word that is used dramatically already in every-day-speech to mean 'surprise' so I do get it, but it is daft so Microsoft is going to be on the back-foot from the get-go with this one.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Sabot said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

Agreed.

I've been using other search engines recently as Google does seem to have lost focus on who exactly is the customer, perhaps it's still in Beta?

Bing is a silly name but it is a word that is used dramatically already in every-day-speech to mean 'surprise' so I do get it, but it is daft so Microsoft is going to be on the back-foot from the get-go with this one.

Because Google was such a great name? If you don't know what a google is, the name sounds even sillier than Bing.  If you do know what google means, it still seems like a very silly name for a search engine.

As for whether or not it will be any good... it already has one surprising self proclaimed "fan".  http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/255750/Woz-Bing!-Apple-Co-Founder-a-%22Big-Fan%22-of-Microsofts-New-Search-Engine

I'm not sure how it's going to work for my most common searches (all having to do with software development), but it looks like a dream come true for the average "consumer search".  Unlike Live Search, I'm sure I'll use Bing fairly frequently, even if it doesn't become my default search engine.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

wkempf said:
    Sabot said:
    *snip*

Because Google was such a great name? If you don't know what a google is, the name sounds even sillier than Bing.  If you do know what google means, it still seems like a very silly name for a search engine.

As for whether or not it will be any good... it already has one surprising self proclaimed "fan".  http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/255750/Woz-Bing!-Apple-Co-Founder-a-%22Big-Fan%22-of-Microsofts-New-Search-Engine

I'm not sure how it's going to work for my most common searches (all having to do with software development), but it looks like a dream come true for the average "consumer search".  Unlike Live Search, I'm sure I'll use Bing fairly frequently, even if it doesn't become my default search engine.

But Google means nothing so you can turn it into whatever you wish. Kumo might have been the same way.

Plus attacking Google isn't really a valid defense of Microsoft's new name and constanting rebranding every two years...

• User profile image
    wkempf

ManipUni said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

But Google means nothing so you can turn it into whatever you wish. Kumo might have been the same way.

Plus attacking Google isn't really a valid defense of Microsoft's new name and constanting rebranding every two years...

Google means nothing?  Huh?

I was certainly not attacking Google. I was using Google as an example. Meaningful names aren't necessary to be effective.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

wkempf said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Google means nothing?  Huh?

I was certainly not attacking Google. I was using Google as an example. Meaningful names aren't necessary to be effective.

The word "Google" means nothing. Just like "Kumo" means nothing. While "Bing" does already have a meaning...

• User profile image
    Sabot

Do you know I've been thinking about this and it's actually all very clever!

We are all talking about the name, so we will remember it - and this is the key part - because if we remember the name - ***for whatever reason*** - we are more likely to use it (aka 'see what all the fuss is about')

... and if the product is actually good ... we are more likely to continue to use it.

It is a silly name but it is a catchy-attention-seeking name. If it is a success, in time, we will forget how silly it is.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

ManipUni said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

The word "Google" means nothing. Just like "Kumo" means nothing. While "Bing" does already have a meaning...

Google == Googol == 10^100

• User profile image
    PaoloM

TommyCarlier said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Google == Googol == 10^100

Bing == Bing Is Not Google

Smiley

(thanks, PINE)

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

PaoloM said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

Bing == Bing Is Not Google

Smiley

(thanks, PINE)

that explains it Smiley

• User profile image
    Ray7

I wonder if it ever occurred to them that the problem may not be name-related?

• User profile image
    jugatsu

Bing makes perfect sense in en-US. Kumo never would have made it as a verb here; Kumo'ed sounds too much like comode, which is a toilet. Any other use of Kumo as a verb doesn't roll off the American tounge; Kumo'ing, Kumo it, all nails on a chalkboard.

Bing in the States often indicates something is complete and/or correct. Pretty close to "Bingo!" when an answer to a question is correct, or "Badda-Bing!", etc. Perfect sense. They chose well, I think. Given Microsoft's history of naming things it could have been bad, real bad.

Now "Azure", I have problems with that one; where's my codeine.... Big Smile

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.