Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

OMG! Xbox without any controller! Project Natal!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

Controller Free Games and Entertainment! ... without a new console!

http://www.xbox.com/en-gb/e309/default.htm

...OMG with Steve Speilberg!

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Human controllers!

Whahaha

Wiiiiiiiiiiii eat your hart out!

I would love to see this integrated into Windows Media Center,.. Where's the remote dammit!

• User profile image
    Bas

Loved the little dig at the Wiimote.

This thing is amazing. I'm seeing a lot of hate for motion control games, like the ones where you kick a virtual ball by kicking your non-virtual leg, but this goes so far beyond that. The Milo thing was just bizarre.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

I wonder how they will implement force feedback?

• User profile image
    Bas

Maddus Mattus said:

I wonder how they will implement force feedback?

An air pressure cannon will shoot a blast of air into your face.

I guess that'll be the next-gen version.

• User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

Bas said:
    Maddus Mattus said:
    *snip*

An air pressure cannon will shoot a blast of air into your face.

I guess that'll be the next-gen version.

Air pressure, water canon, flame thrower and electrical shocks!

Man I want that!

• User profile image
    jason818_25​3.33

"Milo" seems to be an interesting step in the AI direction. Maybe they should have named the kid Hal.

• User profile image
    Bas

jason818_253.33 said:

"Milo" seems to be an interesting step in the AI direction. Maybe they should have named the kid Hal.

Milo look amazing, but also amazingly creepy. I really wonder how that 'pass a real life drawing into the game world' thing will work in practice.

• User profile image
    Sabot

Side Topic ... didn't take long for C9 thread to appear in Bing!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=project+natal+xbox&form=QBRE&filt=all

• User profile image
    Bass

Everyone thought this would be a cheap copy of the Wiimote like Avatars were pretty much of Miis. (Let's be honest here)

But now everyone is eating the words. Microsoft just layed the smack down on the Wii, holy s**t.

This is one huge step towards total virtual reality. And I thought it died in the 90s. And not VR in computer science academic departments, VR might be a thing for consumers now. I might have to hack this thing and make it work on PCs. Smiley

• User profile image
    Bas

Bass said:

Everyone thought this would be a cheap copy of the Wiimote like Avatars were pretty much of Miis. (Let's be honest here)

But now everyone is eating the words. Microsoft just layed the smack down on the Wii, holy s**t.

This is one huge step towards total virtual reality. And I thought it died in the 90s. And not VR in computer science academic departments, VR might be a thing for consumers now. I might have to hack this thing and make it work on PCs. Smiley

Yeah, this blows the whole lame avatar thing out of the water. I'll even excuse them for their annoyingly happy and excited faces showing up in a few Natal demos.

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

I was thinking about how accurate the technology seems to be.  I bet you could do good 3-D headtracking with this.  Just change the perspective in the game when the player moves their head.  You could create the illusion objects are in front of the TV, or beyond it.

• User profile image
    Dan

Our Coding4Fun team was exchanging emails on this as it would be amazing to make hackable like the Wiimote control Brian Peek had done a while back. I've emailed the XNA team to see if there's a dev story there, but it would be awesome if there was so you can build Windows apps/games with this too Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Dan said:

Our Coding4Fun team was exchanging emails on this as it would be amazing to make hackable like the Wiimote control Brian Peek had done a while back. I've emailed the XNA team to see if there's a dev story there, but it would be awesome if there was so you can build Windows apps/games with this too Smiley

I'll reserve judgement until I see this thing in action for real. Although the demo looks very cool.

Ultimately, this is a web cam (maybe 2 for 3D info) and I've seen those logitec web cam games in the past, and they were rather limited. Will the Xbox make good use of the technology?

MSR did show off some pretty cool cam demo in the past, though, so maybe...

But we all railed on the Nintendo & Sony for shoehorning in motion gameplay that don't really add to the enjoyment of the game.

Honestly, I'd hate to play Halo with this thing because that would mean I'd be exhausted by the end of the game.

Who knows, maybe for short, casual games?

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Minh said:
    Dan said:
    *snip*

I'll reserve judgement until I see this thing in action for real. Although the demo looks very cool.

Ultimately, this is a web cam (maybe 2 for 3D info) and I've seen those logitec web cam games in the past, and they were rather limited. Will the Xbox make good use of the technology?

But we all railed on the Nintendo & Sony for shoehorning in motion gameplay that don't really add to the enjoyment of the game.

Honestly, I'd hate to play Halo with this thing because that would mean I'd be exhausted by the end of the game.

There are some demo videos from the company that made the camera: http://www.3dvsystems.com/gallery/gallery.html  It looks like they worked out how to do full-body motion detection similar to the motion capture technology that studios use, except without wearing the body suit.

What is unique about the camera is that it reads a depth component for each pixel in the image, meaning distance from the camera.  And it looks like from the Xbox demo video there are two cameras on the device, so they could calculate locations in 3d space. 

If you want to do something like, replace the background behind the player's image, its a simple matter of replacing any pixels beyond a certain depth.

• User profile image
    Dan

Minh said:
    Dan said:
    *snip*

I'm actually thinking more for applications if it runs on XNA/Windows. I'd love Minority Report-style navigation of photos or Outlook emails or being able to (reliably) give voice commands to control your PC without training.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Dan said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

I'm actually thinking more for applications if it runs on XNA/Windows. I'd love Minority Report-style navigation of photos or Outlook emails or being able to (reliably) give voice commands to control your PC without training.

I know, I wish to see it on PC as well. It would be interesting to skip multi-touch monitor to a full blown motion sensor camera control.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

The demo is very gimmicky and unrealistic.

The camera technology behind it interested me for a while until I read a few of their papers and determined that they're just using shadows yet again for depth determination. Which is ideal in ideal situations but will diminish greatly if you are for example wearing the wrong clothing or have a poor or low light levels.

It is a great PR victory though. They might even build a box with a couple of cameras and microphones in them for depth capture/voice capture and try and pump out a few gimmicky games. See if they sell. Or more likely see if they sell 360s to otherwise Wii converts...

Hopefully someone with a ton of money and free time is working on better 3D capture technology or taking what we already have forward. Like laser scanning for one example. Because this junk will not hold out under day to day trials.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.