Coffeehouse Thread

18 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

please fix the c9 editor

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Hi 9team - a request:

please restore the functionality to the editor - no not the old original functionality - the recent version.

It is impossible to post and edit with it - examples:

1. before you could go to a page - hit select all copy - and come to c9 and paste it )all images all text (extra formatting removed)
    NOW - this no longer works - so you must manually add each image.

but wait - you cant hit the image and copy - you must choose - copy image URL
    then go to the editor - and paste
    then hit INSERT - on the wrong side (cancel! is on the right side...

and then you must do it again - but - each time you hit edit - the edit window loses its mind and doesnt open to the end of the form window

so you need to use the down arrow key - all the way down each time - to wake it up to display the full window

2. EDITING - after youve posted a long post:   First the images display actual size - in the TINY edit window - and then see above - the edit window stops after one image.  using the down arrow in edit mode is dicy...  it usually takes you to the further most edge of an image - say - 1000 pixels over from where you type

as an added pet peeve - hitting enter now makes a HUGE space instead of a normal one - so youve added "Shift enter" to our posting routine as well

please fix this - an editor is for posting easy - not spinning flash animations and herky jerky scrolling madness

Tongue Out

Edit:  here - use this as a test:  www.channel9.ca/mc

Make a thread - post all those pics - add some text above each one.

when finished - edit the thread - and post something at the end of the long post

• User profile image
    Duncanma

I have no idea why you keep getting huge spaces when you hit enter

I just hit enter there and that seems like a normal enough amount of space between two paragraphs, is that the amount of space that is upsetting you?

• User profile image
    jamie

Duncanma said:

I have no idea why you keep getting huge spaces when you hit enter

I just hit enter there and that seems like a normal enough amount of space between two paragraphs, is that the amount of space that is upsetting you?

this is a line - enter

this is a line - shift enter
    this is a line

before - enter was one line not 2  ... for 5 yrs... like all web editors - unlike WORD ...was used to it
    *anyway thats not the main issues

• User profile image
    Koogle

"as an added pet peeve - hitting enter now makes a HUGE space instead of a normal one - so youve added "Shift enter" to our posting routine as well"

lol yup

can also add that the DELETE key doesn't function as it should at the end of a sentence either... it only deletes words within the same paragraph!

icouldn'tdeletethisshitwhilethetextcursorwasatthepreviousparagraphohwell

the c9 versions of the add image/video/link/smiley etc still suck ... so they dissaper after you've used them ONCE and maybe you repositioned it... you open it up again.. oops forgot last position baa.. 

And whats with loading.. you'd think opening them up once on the same page would be all the loading required.. nope although now we get the actual popup gfx showing faster... we still get an empty control area for x seconds while it takes it sweet time to show up Big Smile weeee

Sorry c9 ...I'd take any other popular forum software/editor over this. The best thing to happen to c9 was teh addition of user css.. now I just come back to view the sexy & refreshing restyle I did Tongue Out ..ok and maybe the weekly shows Smiley

• User profile image
    ManipUni

The editor uses <p></p> instead of <br /> when I hit enter. Very annoying. It also breaks firefox's spellchecker.

Call this a troll if you'd like, and it is, but I would love to see good old BBCode. There is a reason why BBCode has survived for something like fifteen years now - it works!

• User profile image
    jamie

ManipUni said:

The editor uses <p></p> instead of <br /> when I hit enter. Very annoying. It also breaks firefox's spellchecker.

Call this a troll if you'd like, and it is, but I would love to see good old BBCode. There is a reason why BBCode has survived for something like fifteen years now - it works!

the only time i have to deal with - shift -enter vs enter is Word and Frontpage (and now C9)

the entire world uses enter as ONE space... except ms

• User profile image
    tfraser

jamie said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

the only time i have to deal with - shift -enter vs enter is Word and Frontpage (and now C9)

the entire world uses enter as ONE space... except ms

It's not hard to change the line spacing in Word. Bring up the Paragraph dialog and set the default Spacing After value to 0. This bugged me too for about one second before I fixed it.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

tfraser said:
    jamie said:
    *snip*

It's not hard to change the line spacing in Word. Bring up the Paragraph dialog and set the default Spacing After value to 0. This bugged me too for about one second before I fixed it.

Word 2007 has a built-in style called "No spacing". Use it instead of "Normal" and the problem is gone.

• User profile image
    blowdart

You know where the feedback forum is, so why do you insist on posting your site requests and feedback here?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I like it the way it is. We're not using typewriters anymore, are we?

Enter ≠ Line break. Enter = start new paragraph. How would you start a new paragraph if not via the Enter-key? Starting a new paragraph is not the same as 2 line breaks. Are you one of those guys that don't trust the automatic word wrap, and like to break their lines manually?

PS: Why isn't this in the feedback forum? (+1 blowdart)

• User profile image
    OnlyJack

TommyCarlier said:

I like it the way it is. We're not using typewriters anymore, are we?

Enter ≠ Line break. Enter = start new paragraph. How would you start a new paragraph if not via the Enter-key? Starting a new paragraph is not the same as 2 line breaks. Are you one of those guys that don't trust the automatic word wrap, and like to break their lines manually?

PS: Why isn't this in the feedback forum? (+1 blowdart)

Enter ≠ Line break. Enter = start new paragraph. How would you start a new paragraph if not via the Enter-key?

Win Key+Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Tab+Enter while triple-clicking on the end of the paragraph. That's how real writers do it.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

OnlyJack said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

Enter ≠ Line break. Enter = start new paragraph. How would you start a new paragraph if not via the Enter-key?

Win Key+Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Tab+Enter while triple-clicking on the end of the paragraph. That's how real writers do it.

I lol-ed. So true.

Enter should <br /> each time you push it. The end.

• User profile image
    jamie

blowdart said:

You know where the feedback forum is, so why do you insist on posting your site requests and feedback here?

for the same reason you keep chastizing me for it.  lets go - another 5 years mr downer?

wheres your FACE

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Also, links pasted in Firefox under Ubuntu are not automatically linkified.

• User profile image
    elmer

ManipUni said:
    OnlyJack said:
    *snip*

I lol-ed. So true.

Enter should <br /> each time you push it. The end.

No, Enter should be new paragraph - as it is.

If you want to override the text wrapping, then you use Shift-Enter to insert a <br/> into the current paragraph.

The size of the gap between the paragraphs is simply a css setting (margin) that the site can configure.

• User profile image
    La Bomba

jamie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

for the same reason you keep chastizing me for it.  lets go - another 5 years mr downer?

wheres your FACE

I don't know about you guys, but i can't seem to tell the difference between eagle and blowdart anymore attitude wise.

It's scary.

• User profile image
    Dodo

ManipUni said:

That has always been that way (at least in IE), and I like it.

If YOU don't like the linebreak, do this:

Go to your custom user CSS and add
    p, *.p, p:* { margin: 0 ! important; padding: 0 !important; } 

• User profile image
    blowdart

jamie said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

wheres your FACE

I keep chastising you because your behaviour is selfish. So you're agreeing you're selfish?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.