Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

What the point of Office Live?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

It looks stupid. I can do better file sharing using SkyDrive. Or I can just use Live Mesh to sync and share my files. Office Sounds like a solution to Free Google Doc, but I can't edit online. From the look of it, Office Live is just a collaboration file repository system. Which is rather point less when Facebook makes better event invite and SkyDrive is just way easier and able to share any file.

I don't get the Office Live team. What's the purpose? It seems useless.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    giovanni

Well, Office Live is more like a light version of Sharepoint where you can track document changes and so on, but without basic document editing, I also end up using skydrive all the time. The site has been in Beta for ages, I hope it will integrate with the online version of the next Office and get a facelift.

• User profile image
    jamiet

giovanni said:

Well, Office Live is more like a light version of Sharepoint where you can track document changes and so on, but without basic document editing, I also end up using skydrive all the time. The site has been in Beta for ages, I hope it will integrate with the online version of the next Office and get a facelift.

giovanni,

I'm absolutely certain that's what will happen. I think they're cooking up something special in Office Live/Office 2014.

• User profile image
    Jan​Kratochvil

giovanni said:

I also have to agree. I actuelly suspect, that this was the sole purpose of this project. But still, it would be nice, if this would fit somehow with the Live Mesh. It'd be nice to have all this online office features, and you could still enjoy the luxorious US and integration to Windows.

• User profile image
    giovanni

jamiet said:
    giovanni said:
    *snip*

giovanni,

I'm absolutely certain that's what will happen. I think they're cooking up something special in Office Live/Office 2014.

I really hope so. Anyone heard of any news from the Office 2014 team?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

giovanni said:
    jamiet said:
    *snip*

I really hope so. Anyone heard of any news from the Office 2014 team?

Is there an Office 2014 team? I thought it was Office 2010.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

PaoloM said:
    giovanni said:
    *snip*

I thought it was Office 14.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I hear in the next release of Office they're replacing all of the UI controls with a single "Microsoft iWheel." They're celebrating it as the biggest UI improvement since the Ribbon.

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    giovanni

PaoloM said:
    giovanni said:
    *snip*

Oups, I meant the poeple who are working on office 14 sorry (that is Office 2010).

• User profile image
    dahat

ManipUni said:

I hear in the next release of Office they're replacing all of the UI controls with a single "Microsoft iWheel." They're celebrating it as the biggest UI improvement since the Ribbon.

Generic Forum Image

I dunno... I think that could get them sued by Apple given their revolutionary keyboard replacement that looks and functions rather similar:

• User profile image
    Harlequin

It's kind of like a cloud I guess. Problem is you need to have office installed to use office live really. You can use it to create "Notes" but if you want Excel and Word and stuff you need Office on your computer. I thought Micorosft was doing or did something like Google with free online versions?

• User profile image
    Extra Berry

I think Microsoft lost its integration and each parts of Microsoft lost their independence  in one sentence Microsoft doesnt what itself do

they arent desplined

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Extra Berry said:

I think Microsoft lost its integration and each parts of Microsoft lost their independence  in one sentence Microsoft doesnt what itself do

they arent desplined

I think Microsoft lost its integration and each parts of Microsoft lost their independence  in one sentence Microsoft doesnt what itself do. they arent desplined

Considering that you apparently have studied this situation in depth, analyzed the press releases and probably beta tested the whole system, could you elaborate on what you have said? In english, possibly?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PaoloM said:
    giovanni said:
    *snip*

Probably confusing "Office 14" with "Office 2010" which is forgivable.

Microsoft is meant to be a software company, so what's with the superstitious Triskaidekaphobia?

Will there not be a Windows 13 come 2020?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Probably confusing "Office 14" with "Office 2010" which is forgivable.

Microsoft is meant to be a software company, so what's with the superstitious Triskaidekaphobia?

Will there not be a Windows 13 come 2020?

Simple. MS doesn't believe in those superstitions, but there are people who do. Subsequently, those people would not buy Office 13 or Windows 13, which is lost revenue for MS. Plus you know ever blogger out there would go "see, bug X is evidence that Office 13 is cursed!" Much easier to avoid any trouble by just numbering it 14. Smiley

• User profile image
    LinWin​Overlord

Sven Groot said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Simple. MS doesn't believe in those superstitions, but there are people who do. Subsequently, those people would not buy Office 13 or Windows 13, which is lost revenue for MS. Plus you know ever blogger out there would go "see, bug X is evidence that Office 13 is cursed!" Much easier to avoid any trouble by just numbering it 14. Smiley

And the number 7 is a magically powerful number and is good luck too. In China, the number 4 is bad luck, because in Chinese, it is similar to the word for death. I bet that factored somewhere in the release of Windows 95, which is technically Version 4 of the Windows that used DOS as its kernel.

With 7 being magically powerful and good luck, maybe Windows 7 will do really well?

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

LinWinOverlord said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

And the number 7 is a magically powerful number and is good luck too. In China, the number 4 is bad luck, because in Chinese, it is similar to the word for death. I bet that factored somewhere in the release of Windows 95, which is technically Version 4 of the Windows that used DOS as its kernel.

With 7 being magically powerful and good luck, maybe Windows 7 will do really well?

And I believe it is bad luck to be superstitious.

But I also believe Windows 7 will do good all on its own.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.