Coffeehouse Thread

58 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Perhaps SQL isn't interesting? But it sure is !

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Sabot said:

    I used to really enjoy doing UI's at the start if my carreer ... but I got bored because they aren't very challenging and wasn't making me an alround good coder.

    Well... it depends. I mean if you only drag and drop in buttons you probably don't much code when doing UI. But once you start to do these user controls on your own, like drawing them, making sure they are performant etc. you might also learn stuff. Probably not that much as if you only hang around deeper in the code but still...

    SQL, btw., is also getting boring after a while...

  • User profile image
    Sabot

    littleguru said:
    Sabot said:
    *snip*

    Well... it depends. I mean if you only drag and drop in buttons you probably don't much code when doing UI. But once you start to do these user controls on your own, like drawing them, making sure they are performant etc. you might also learn stuff. Probably not that much as if you only hang around deeper in the code but still...

    SQL, btw., is also getting boring after a while...

    Fare comment.

    SQL Server isn't just about SQL btw and it's the rest of it I find most interesting such as ...

    Integration Services (SSIS) - http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/integration.aspx - well thats ETL story sorted

    Data Mining and Business Inteligence (BI) - http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/data-mining.aspx - more than just reporting!

    Performance and Scaling - http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/performance-scale.aspx - Can you imagine trying to code half of this stuff ... and you don't have to!

    Not to mention a very cool feature inside SQL Server 2008 called the Services Broker which is about scaling-out data services which as you can imagine is kind of handy for anyone building large websites and enterprise wide systems. Here is a link to the Programming guide.

    These features aren't all available just in the Enterprise version ... you can start to get to know them all in the Developer Edition which you can pick up for between £40- £50 and is available on MSDN & Technet.

    Most of these tools are aimed farely and squarely at Developers and not DBA's so go and explore ... it will saving writting lots of code!

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

    Sabot said:

    I used to really enjoy doing UI's at the start if my carreer ... but I got bored because they aren't very challenging and wasn't making me an alround good coder.

    I think UI development can be challenging and creative, finding the right layout, making sure everything looks and feels right, making sure everything scales nicely on different DPIs, keeping the UI responsive even while performing heavy-duty tasks (or while waiting for data coming from a server), ...

  • User profile image
    littleguru

    Sabot said:
    littleguru said:
    *snip*

    Fare comment.

    SQL Server isn't just about SQL btw and it's the rest of it I find most interesting such as ...

    Integration Services (SSIS) - http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/integration.aspx - well thats ETL story sorted

    Data Mining and Business Inteligence (BI) - http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/data-mining.aspx - more than just reporting!

    Performance and Scaling - http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/performance-scale.aspx - Can you imagine trying to code half of this stuff ... and you don't have to!

    Not to mention a very cool feature inside SQL Server 2008 called the Services Broker which is about scaling-out data services which as you can imagine is kind of handy for anyone building large websites and enterprise wide systems. Here is a link to the Programming guide.

    These features aren't all available just in the Enterprise version ... you can start to get to know them all in the Developer Edition which you can pick up for between £40- £50 and is available on MSDN & Technet.

    Most of these tools are aimed farely and squarely at Developers and not DBA's so go and explore ... it will saving writting lots of code!

    I could bet with you that for certain people that gets also boring after a while... Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.