Coffeehouse Thread

45 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why Firefox is more secure than IE

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ubuntu

See for yourself:

http://mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/security/

What about standards compliance:

IE 8 Acid3 result: 21/100

What does M$ do about that?

Giving people food for downloading IE - pathetic:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/06/download-ie8-and-feed-the-hungry.ars

• User profile image
    stevo_

Hmm.. internet troll is trolling the internets.. anyone get prototype today? can't wait to contrast it to infamous.

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

stevo_ said:

Hmm.. internet troll is trolling the internets.. anyone get prototype today? can't wait to contrast it to infamous.

The thing that you failed to mention in your post: it's TRUE

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ubuntu said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

The thing that you failed to mention in your post: it's TRUE

No, he said that you are trolling. That's true.

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

PaoloM said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

No, he said that you are trolling. That's true.

Call the man a troll when you don't like what he has to say.

• User profile image
    intelman

Ubuntu said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Well, you have to admit your post is pretty lame. You could not even link things properly. There is a chain icon that you can use to aid you.  I am not sure if security is a concern with IE anymore. I think there is a speed war going on. To that I must agree that IE8 is left way behind compared to Firefox 3.5 and Chrome 2.0. 

Oh and download IE to feed the hungry does seem a little odd. The IM initiative for Live Messenger is nice though.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I think attacking IE's security is redundant. IE is fine. Firefox is fine.

If we want to talk about security let's talk about Adobe Reader, Java, Real Player, Flash, and all those other "common" third party apps that keep getting people infected.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Ubuntu said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

I don't really like IE, its one of the most frustrating things for a web developer, IE6 being around for as long as it was, was a huge screw up.. but because I actually bothered to understand technology, I know that interestingly IE has the best security model of any browser out there, and that statistics on mozillas website mean nothing because: A) over three years old, B) ie has a bigger surface area than firefox, especially then, C) two versions of IE have released since that date, with one introducing the significant security model that stands it apart from the rest..

BOO YA, you suck

- just like the operating system you represent

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

ManipUni said:

I think attacking IE's security is redundant. IE is fine. Firefox is fine.

If we want to talk about security let's talk about Adobe Reader, Java, Real Player, Flash, and all those other "common" third party apps that keep getting people infected.

Especially Adobe Reader - at current it contains abut 13 0-day vulnerabilities when you have a fully patched version - however you don't use Adobe Reader when running on Ubuntu.

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

intelman said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

Well, you have to admit your post is pretty lame. You could not even link things properly. There is a chain icon that you can use to aid you.  I am not sure if security is a concern with IE anymore. I think there is a speed war going on. To that I must agree that IE8 is left way behind compared to Firefox 3.5 and Chrome 2.0. 

Oh and download IE to feed the hungry does seem a little odd. The IM initiative for Live Messenger is nice though.

I think there is a speed war going on.

Both Chrome and Safari run very fast JavaScript engines - that's true.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Ubuntu said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Especially Adobe Reader - at current it contains abut 13 0-day vulnerabilities when you have a fully patched version - however you don't use Adobe Reader when running on Ubuntu.

true, so in that case you don't even have a known count of potential holes...

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

stevo_ said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

I don't really like IE, its one of the most frustrating things for a web developer, IE6 being around for as long as it was, was a huge screw up.. but because I actually bothered to understand technology, I know that interestingly IE has the best security model of any browser out there, and that statistics on mozillas website mean nothing because: A) over three years old, B) ie has a bigger surface area than firefox, especially then, C) two versions of IE have released since that date, with one introducing the significant security model that stands it apart from the rest..

BOO YA, you suck

BOO YA, you suck

M$ didn't bother to develop IE 6.0 for 5 years - I think it's not me who sucks.

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

ManipUni said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

true, so in that case you don't even have a known count of potential holes...

PS is 30 years old and PDF was developed in the 90s - how much time do you need to get the renderer for that right?

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Ubuntu said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

PS is 30 years old and PDF was developed in the 90s - how much time do you need to get the renderer for that right?

If you ask the wrong question you will get the wrong answer.

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

stevo_ said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

BOO YA, you suck

one introducing the significant security model that stands it apart from the rest

Do you know who "inspired" them to introduce that crash one tab and not the entire brower feature?

• User profile image
    Bass

I don't think you'll find many people here who will feverishly defend IE, even here. If you really want to be successful in trolling efforts, you should have started a topic "Windows sucks" (especially "Windows 7 sucks"), or possible worse: ".NET sucks". Maybe next time.

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

Bass said:

I don't think you'll find many people here who will feverishly defend IE, even here. If you really want to be successful in trolling efforts, you should have started a topic "Windows sucks" (especially "Windows 7 sucks"), or possible worse: ".NET sucks". Maybe next time.

And the best thing about it is that when I don't write any of it it won't make them suck any bit less.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Ubuntu said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

one introducing the significant security model that stands it apart from the rest

Do you know who "inspired" them to introduce that crash one tab and not the entire brower feature?

That isn't the (or even a) security feature.. but please tell me, who inspired them.. ubuntu?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.