Coffeehouse Thread

45 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why Firefox is more secure than IE

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Bass

Ubuntu said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

one introducing the significant security model that stands it apart from the rest

Do you know who "inspired" them to introduce that crash one tab and not the entire brower feature?

Who? The per tab process thing was actually announced slightly before Chrome was released.

And I think he is talking of IE's isolation context. Which was probably inspired by pioneering work by the NSA (National Security Agency), and the Flask operating system, or associated SELinux extensions.

• User profile image
    AndyC

LOL. Are they really still pimping statistics from 2006 and thinking they have any bearing whatsoever? Are Mozilla really that afraid of what the situation looks like if you look at it today?

As to "your security is our top priority", presumably that's why a default install of Firefox goes in "Program Files" and then insists you have permission to change those files when it is launched, effectively requiring you to run your web browser as Administrator? Top priority my arse.

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

AndyC said:

LOL. Are they really still pimping statistics from 2006 and thinking they have any bearing whatsoever? Are Mozilla really that afraid of what the situation looks like if you look at it today?

As to "your security is our top priority", presumably that's why a default install of Firefox goes in "Program Files" and then insists you have permission to change those files when it is launched, effectively requiring you to run your web browser as Administrator? Top priority my arse.

Try to find a more recent INDEPENDANT study - if they made a study themselves you would question the credibility of that wouldn't you.

Do you have a place where Windows programs should store their configuration settings which is not the registry?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ubuntu said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

Try to find a more recent INDEPENDANT study - if they made a study themselves you would question the credibility of that wouldn't you.

Do you have a place where Windows programs should store their configuration settings which is not the registry?

Ever heard of AppData?

• User profile image
    stevo_

Ubuntu said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

Err... what ha - this thread is getting really funny with the amount of fail from this guy Big Smile, you still haven't explained what IE's split processes was inspired from..

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

PaoloM said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

Ever heard of AppData?

I take that one back to some extent - have been using Linux long enough to forget about it - however there still is a problem of an app auto-updating itself and writing files to Program Files - M$ haven't solved that one.

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

stevo_ said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

Err... what ha - this thread is getting really funny with the amount of fail from this guy Big Smile, you still haven't explained what IE's split processes was inspired from..

Bass was kind enough to answer that one for me.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Ubuntu said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

I take that one back to some extent - have been using Linux long enough to forget about it - however there still is a problem of an app auto-updating itself and writing files to Program Files - M$ haven't solved that one.

What problem?

• User profile image
    blowdart

PaoloM said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

What problem?

Delusions?

• User profile image
    stevo_

Ubuntu said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Bass was kind enough to answer that one for me.

Soo.. the IE team was inspired by a browser that wasn't even out yet.. because I could have sworn I was using the publically released IE8 beta's long before chrome was thrown at the public.

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

stevo_ said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

Soo.. the IE team was inspired by a browser that wasn't even out yet.. because I could have sworn I was using the publically released IE8 beta's long before chrome was thrown at the public.

Your memory has been failing you - this was the flagship feature of Chrome upon its release and it was the first in the industry to have this feature.

• User profile image
    Royal​Schrubber

Ubuntu said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Your memory has been failing you - this was the flagship feature of Chrome upon its release and it was the first in the industry to have this feature.

Bloger mentions multi-process design of IE8:  6th of March 2008

http://www.boogdesign.com/b2evo/index.php/2008/03/06/ie8_beta_1_a_review?blog=2

Chrome anouncement and 'Chrome book':  1st of September 2008

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html

In case you did not know September comes after March..

Perplexed

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Am I the only one who fails to see what Microsoft's charity work has to do with Internet Explorer's security?

• User profile image
    Ubuntu

RoyalSchrubber said:
    Ubuntu said:
    *snip*

Bloger mentions multi-process design of IE8:  6th of March 2008

http://www.boogdesign.com/b2evo/index.php/2008/03/06/ie8_beta_1_a_review?blog=2

Chrome anouncement and 'Chrome book':  1st of September 2008

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html

In case you did not know September comes after March..

Perplexed

A lot of bloggers wrote how great WinFS is going to be back in 2004 but now it's 2009 and we have still to see its greatness - my point being - would you care to mention who RELEASED TO MARKET a product with this feature first - Google or M$? Embarassed

• User profile image
    Bass

Ubuntu said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*

A lot of bloggers wrote how great WinFS is going to be back in 2004 but now it's 2009 and we have still to see its greatness - my point being - would you care to mention who RELEASED TO MARKET a product with this feature first - Google or M$? Embarassed

M$

• User profile image
    dahat

Ubuntu said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*

This argument of timing is quite funny as there was recently a little revision over on Wikipedia's Chrome page that claimed that the initial release of it happened in 2007...

This person soon after updated it to say that a screenshot was running on “Windows Vista Sucks Edition” and even claims that “A public version for Mac OS X and Ubuntu is set to be released in June 2039.”

Given our friend’s hopeless battles here... I wonder if he is also trying to forge reality over there.

Are you he Ubuntu? Are you up in Canada?

• User profile image
    Bass

Ubuntu said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/08/27/internet-explorer-8-beta-2-now-available.aspx

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/15315.cfm

Looks like IE 8 beat Chrome by 5 days. INNOVATION.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Ubuntu said:
    RoyalSchrubber said:
    *snip*

How does that make sense.. chrome did release the final version before IE.. but the IE 8 betas were out to use long before chrome, and the fact the idea was even talked about prior to these beta releases... how do you somehow get that Microsoft was inspired by a browser that didn't release until over 6 months later..

I'm sure you aren't even that much of an idiot, and that you are of course- trolling..

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.