Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Which Windows 7 Should I Buy

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    punkouter

Actually this have been my dilemma since Windows XP. Here's my requirements:
    - I live in Japan, and my girlfriend is japanese. So I want Windows to display English UI when I logs in, and display Japanese UI when my girlfriend logs in.
    - My office suite is Office 2007 Pro English
    - My VS is VS2008 Pro Eng
    - I have some hardwares that have only Jap drivers.
    - Its preferable if I can get system errors in english. (I have not much problem reading japanese, but still english is easier to understand)
    - IME is important

Anyone can give me an advice on which Windows 7 should I buy? (Especially, if I should buy Win 7 Jap or English?)
    Thanks,.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Apparently it doesn't matter since you can change the language of the OS easily enough by download MUI packs from Windows Update.

Personally, I'd stick with the English version, just in case there are any dodgy programs that don't recoginise localised installs.

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo said:

Apparently it doesn't matter since you can change the language of the OS easily enough by download MUI packs from Windows Update.

Personally, I'd stick with the English version, just in case there are any dodgy programs that don't recoginise localised installs.

Wasn't that only possible in Ultimate, though, in Vista's case?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Bas said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Wasn't that only possible in Ultimate, though, in Vista's case?

And enterprise.

• User profile image
    Koogle

I don't really have a dilemma.. but I am waiting for an OS update that is actually worth moving onto since Windows XP..

my expectations are very reasonable..

-I don't settle for nub sh/t changes & lack of decent improvements when small third party developments offer better f#cking improvements visually/usability & customization wise than an OS that goes in development for years by developers who don't seem to have the slightest intention of making actual workflow improvements to the desktop...instead just make it worse and include any old sh/tty feature so long as it can made to look good to the nubs.
    -Existing shell extensions must still work or become irrelevant because of better built in enhancements (fat chance)
    -Hardware like audio cards must deliver at least the same level of performance and features without an increase in CPU usage when its only for pointless sh/t, if you're gonna make a fecking change then at least introduce it when you've worked on it and made it more worthwile!

-Aero sh/te Themes and that pile o'sh/t dwm.exe process needs a good kicking, with better control over it. ie disable thumbnail processing etc
    -I'd like the 'Explorer' and everything assiociated with it to get an actual F#*^K!NG IMPROVEMENT! and out with the crap.
    -I will not use  ugly as f#ck noob looking prompts like the replace file dialog, useless waste of space status bars etc etc
    -Things like the task manager, file transfers, control panel, startmenu, should be more useful and better designed etc
    -Easier tweakability/customization and options should be built in and provided for more things, as Windows default settings SUCK for just about everything!

It seems like I'm asking for sooo much already // and those where just some of my reasonable expectations, wasn't even a mention of better profile setup, control and security etc for those that don't want to go the full on system drive bitlocker route.

• User profile image
    GoddersUK

Koogle said:

I don't really have a dilemma.. but I am waiting for an OS update that is actually worth moving onto since Windows XP..

-I don't settle for nub sh/t changes & lack of decent improvements when small third party developments offer better f#cking improvements visually/usability & customization wise than an OS that goes in development for years by developers who don't seem to have the slightest intention of making actual workflow improvements to the desktop...instead just make it worse and include any old sh/tty feature so long as it can made to look good to the nubs.
    -Existing shell extensions must still work or become irrelevant because of better built in enhancements (fat chance)
    -Hardware like audio cards must deliver at least the same level of performance and features without an increase in CPU usage when its only for pointless sh/t, if you're gonna make a fecking change then at least introduce it when you've worked on it and made it more worthwile!

-Aero sh/te Themes and that pile o'sh/t dwm.exe process needs a good kicking, with better control over it. ie disable thumbnail processing etc
    -I'd like the 'Explorer' and everything assiociated with it to get an actual F#*^K!NG IMPROVEMENT! and out with the crap.
    -I will not use  ugly as f#ck noob looking prompts like the replace file dialog, useless waste of space status bars etc etc
    -Things like the task manager, file transfers, control panel, startmenu, should be more useful and better designed etc
    -Easier tweakability/customization and options should be built in and provided for more things, as Windows default settings SUCK for just about everything!

It seems like I'm asking for sooo much already // and those where just some of my reasonable expectations, wasn't even a mention of better profile setup, control and security etc for those that don't want to go the full on system drive bitlocker route.

Wow... I don't think you managed to get even a word of that on topic...

• User profile image
    Koogle

GoddersUK said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

Wow... I don't think you managed to get even a word of that on topic...

meh... Win7 isn't even out to buy yet.. and I mean "Win 7 Jap or English?" .. you'd think he would have made up his at this point "(I have not much problem reading japanese, but still english is easier to understand)"?... so unless he was buying this just for his girlfriend(who doesn't read english?), then it seems like a no brainer.

• User profile image
    punkouter

Koogle said:

I tried to understand your post there, I really did (read it 3x). But just couldn't. So, which one are you suggesting?

I'm buying Win 7 because I think its time for me and my pc to move on. That's the main reason. The other reason is because my girlfriend hates PC, and electronic devices and reluctant to use them (except the washing machine, microwave and her cellphone, i guess). She's just like my mom. But since IT is where I make a living and I have passion for it, I want her to understand and at least know computers better. And that requires me to get a nice easy to use OS, which what i hope Windows 7 will be. On the other side, I need to work on that PC also. So, as you can see I need a Windows version that supports English and Japanese seamlessly (if possible, without much problem at least).

So, again koogle, which one do you recommend? and why?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

punkouter said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

I tried to understand your post there, I really did (read it 3x). But just couldn't. So, which one are you suggesting?

I'm buying Win 7 because I think its time for me and my pc to move on. That's the main reason. The other reason is because my girlfriend hates PC, and electronic devices and reluctant to use them (except the washing machine, microwave and her cellphone, i guess). She's just like my mom. But since IT is where I make a living and I have passion for it, I want her to understand and at least know computers better. And that requires me to get a nice easy to use OS, which what i hope Windows 7 will be. On the other side, I need to work on that PC also. So, as you can see I need a Windows version that supports English and Japanese seamlessly (if possible, without much problem at least).

For everything except your first requirement it doesn't really matter. The Japanese IME is in any language version, English versions of Office and Visual Studio run on any language version. I can't imagine using Japanese drivers on English Windows is going to be a problem (you might have trouble running the installer if your system code page is not set to Japanese, but you can change that regardless of the UI language and there's also AppLocale).

Your first requirement, having different UI languages for different user accounts, can only be achieved with Ultimate (and Enterprise, but individuals can't buy that). At least that was the case with Vista, I think it will be the same for 7.

My recommendation would be to get Windows 7 Ultimate in English, and then install the Japanese language pack from Windows Update. This will allow you to set up one account in English and another in Japanese. Or buy it in Japanese and install the English language pack from Windows Update, it makes little difference. Smiley

Don't mind Koogle, he makes little sense to anyone except himself.

• User profile image
    Koogle

punkouter said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

"I tried to understand your post there, I really did (read it 3x). But just couldn't. So, which one are you suggesting?"

I'm sorry... my post wasn't there to help you choose a Win7 version to buy Smiley you shouldn't have needed to read it 3x to see that.

you want to be recommended a win7 version to buy when its not even out yet..   very eager aren't you? maybe just try the Win7rc and  get Jap MUI pack for testing, it will be a 'testing' experience is all I can say.

". The other reason is because my girlfriend hates PC"

shhhe hates PC Scared .. blasphemy! maybe she just hates Windows? .... you could try offering her Mac? once you go Mac, you never come.. back? or so I've heard before Tongue Out

"Don't mind Koogle, he makes little sense to anyone except himself."

heh.. that's because understanding me would require you to not be a satisfied with noob sh/t Sven. It would also require me to write everything single detail and reason behind each point I make and why I make it and suggestions on how it should have been done better.. and that would take more time than I care to spend helping Windows be less sh/t, when MS cleary only makes stuff for the noob, not the poweruser because that would actually require more effort....its just a good thing Microsoft has customers like punkouter to buy Win7... while me, I can wait this out until MS does eventually put something together worthy of upgrading to.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Koogle said:
    punkouter said:
    *snip*

"I tried to understand your post there, I really did (read it 3x). But just couldn't. So, which one are you suggesting?"

I'm sorry... my post wasn't there to help you choose a Win7 version to buy Smiley you shouldn't have needed to read it 3x to see that.

you want to be recommended a win7 version to buy when its not even out yet..   very eager aren't you? maybe just try the Win7rc and  get Jap MUI pack for testing, it will be a 'testing' experience is all I can say.

". The other reason is because my girlfriend hates PC"

shhhe hates PC Scared .. blasphemy! maybe she just hates Windows? .... you could try offering her Mac? once you go Mac, you never come.. back? or so I've heard before Tongue Out

"Don't mind Koogle, he makes little sense to anyone except himself."

heh.. that's because understanding me would require you to not be a satisfied with noob sh/t Sven. It would also require me to write everything single detail and reason behind each point I make and why I make it and suggestions on how it should have been done better.. and that would take more time than I care to spend helping Windows be less sh/t, when MS cleary only makes stuff for the noob, not the poweruser because that would actually require more effort....its just a good thing Microsoft has customers like punkouter to buy Win7... while me, I can wait this out until MS does eventually put something together worthy of upgrading to.

No, it's because you can't make points without using words like "noob" and making ad hominem attacks. If you were to write your views using plain, non-inflamatory language, and without implying that there's something wrong with anyone who doesn't agree with you, people would take you a lot more seriously. It's not difficult; I'm not expecting Shakespear's sonnets here, just some respect, both for the other users of this site and the English language.

• User profile image
    punkouter

Sven Groot said:
    punkouter said:
    *snip*

For everything except your first requirement it doesn't really matter. The Japanese IME is in any language version, English versions of Office and Visual Studio run on any language version. I can't imagine using Japanese drivers on English Windows is going to be a problem (you might have trouble running the installer if your system code page is not set to Japanese, but you can change that regardless of the UI language and there's also AppLocale).

Your first requirement, having different UI languages for different user accounts, can only be achieved with Ultimate (and Enterprise, but individuals can't buy that). At least that was the case with Vista, I think it will be the same for 7.

My recommendation would be to get Windows 7 Ultimate in English, and then install the Japanese language pack from Windows Update. This will allow you to set up one account in English and another in Japanese. Or buy it in Japanese and install the English language pack from Windows Update, it makes little difference. Smiley

thanks for your suggestions sven, W3bbo, bass and blowdart.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Sven Groot said:
    punkouter said:
    *snip*

Sven said:
    I can't imagine using Japanese drivers on English Windows is going to be a problem

I can. Localized versions of Windows have a localized version of the Registry, if the drivers are dependent upon things in there it's quite possible they will fail. This is different to MUI versions, which have the Registry in English and only the UI gets localized.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

AndyC said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

I can. Localized versions of Windows have a localized version of the Registry, if the drivers are dependent upon things in there it's quite possible they will fail. This is different to MUI versions, which have the Registry in English and only the UI gets localized.

I've not yet come across a Japanese driver that had that problem. The only issue I've ever had with them is the fact that quite often the installer or other included UI is compiled for ANSI and therefore depends on the system codepage being Japanese (it'll just display gibberish otherwise); as I already said, AppLocale (or simply changing the codepage) fixed that nicely.

Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't any, just that I find it unlikely based on personal experience.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Sven Groot said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

I've not yet come across a Japanese driver that had that problem. The only issue I've ever had with them is the fact that quite often the installer or other included UI is compiled for ANSI and therefore depends on the system codepage being Japanese (it'll just display gibberish otherwise); as I already said, AppLocale (or simply changing the codepage) fixed that nicely.

Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't any, just that I find it unlikely based on personal experience.

You could well be right, I think I've mostly seen failures with applications rather than drivers, but then my exposure to Japanese Windows is somewhat limited to say the least.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.