Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Anyone here used PostSharp in anger?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

So we're considering the toolkit to use for a new project, and I'd quite like to use PostSharp for AOP to reduce the amount of coding required (logging, INotifyPropertyChanged, GUI thread dispatching, etc).

My main concern is this this project will inevitably get quite large and PostSharp adds to the compile time.  Is there anyone here who has used PostSharp on larger projects and can give me a hint of the compile-time cost?

Herbie

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

I'm using it, but the assemblies we use it on are quite small and it only adds a few seconds to the build time of each, affraid I can't be of much more help.  That said it's worth the extra compile time.

• User profile image
    Sampy

You can use PostSharp in anger as long as you don't look back.

At least not today.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Sampy said:

You can use PostSharp in anger as long as you don't look back.

At least not today.

Don't quote Oasis to me, whippersnapper!  I was at Knebworth, and I've still got the T-shirt to prove it!

Going to ask this again the the Techoff, which may have been the appropriate place to ask in the first place ...Blushing

Herbie

• User profile image
    KevinB

Dr Herbie said:
    Sampy said:
    *snip*

Don't quote Oasis to me, whippersnapper!  I was at Knebworth, and I've still got the T-shirt to prove it!

Going to ask this again the the Techoff, which may have been the appropriate place to ask in the first place ...Blushing

Herbie

You could try hitting up StackOverflow.com as well. It seems to get pretty crazy response times.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

KevinB said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

You could try hitting up StackOverflow.com as well. It seems to get pretty crazy response times.

Ooh! Good idea!

Herbie

• User profile image
    KevinB

Dr Herbie said:
    KevinB said:
    *snip*

Ooh! Good idea!

Herbie

If you do use PostSharp (or any other AOP platform in general), I would be grateful if you could write up a quick post about how you got on with it. We learned about AOP in a Rigurous Software Design module this semester, it sounded very interesting.

I would be interested to know how it works in practice.

Kevin

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

KevinB said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

If you do use PostSharp (or any other AOP platform in general), I would be grateful if you could write up a quick post about how you got on with it. We learned about AOP in a Rigurous Software Design module this semester, it sounded very interesting.

I would be interested to know how it works in practice.

Kevin

Ok, slow response I know, but better than none at all.

Unfortunately, we have dropped PostSharp. 

All was looking good until I needed to run our prototype code through the performance profiler in TFS -- PostSharp and TFS profiling do not mix! This is probably because they are both doing the same sort of thing: inserting code post-compile. PostSharp complains of non-native code in there and the build fails.

In our current project, performance is one of the top priorities so we have to use the performance analysis tool, so PostSharp had to go. It's a shame.

Herbie

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.