Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Passport...for all?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

Ill keep it short: Why cant we all use passport system for logins? Why the steep charge/signup procedure.. again - like free perpetual betas/ another way to get rollin on the net/oss world..

Youll have to make it more accesible someday..

• User profile image
    sbc

Some people may not use it if they have to use the Passport system (disagree with terms, don't trust Microsoft etc). A better way would be to have both a Passport login and a normal login - if that is possible.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Because the passport servers don't run for free.
    But the price of the service should come down.

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

What about the LongHorn Identities?  Won't that kind of make Passport not necessary.  Isn't that the concept behind it?  A "Disconnected Passport"?  I know it's a ways out, but I'd just figure Microsoft would focus on that instead of making Passport more available.

• User profile image
    jamie

if thats the case - then it shouldnt matter..  make passport easier and free NOW! Smiley

* i dont know why it wasnt done like that in first place.. Imagine all the asp portals etc that would have used it - or offered it at least. It should just be another "Bot" in FP ..  like you can add msn news feed, "Add passport auth / or Add msn messenger list

• User profile image
    Jaz

wasn't this what Hailstorm was all about?

I would love to see far more passport intergration.  I still need to get my ebay account passported.

• User profile image
    jamie

btw: i wasnt refering to this site.. but it would be a good addition..

i meant - for any asp site..

no php haha

• User profile image
    Human​Compiler

I don't know the reason why they don't make it work now, etc, but I'd imagine that ever since they figured out Passport wasn't really going to fly and they were going to head down a different path (.NET My Services failure), it hasn't gotten much attention financially.  Would you want to spend money on something you were going to replace later that had no added bonus for the future?

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

If it costs money to run these servers for passport, then maybe you could have a thing that detects that your already signed in. You know how you go to hotmail check your mail and then go to Channel 9 (or any other site for that matter) and it says hello (whatever your name is) and it could allow a lot more tools and stuff.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.