Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Bing crashes Internet explorer

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    pathfinder

I have tried this on three computers and get the same results.  Let me know if happens to you.

Open up Bing in internet explorer (I tried it on ie 7).

Type something into the search bar and click search.  After the search results come up.

Go to File menu and click Print.  Hit cancel.  Bada - Bing! Internet Explorer will crash.

Edit- I tried it on a fourth computer and didn't get the error.  This computer had a default printer installed though.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

No repro.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

MasterPie said:

No repro.

No repro.

• User profile image
    pathfinder

PaoloM said:
    MasterPie said:
    *snip*

No repro.

hmmm, try it on a computer that doesn't have a default printer installed if you can.

• User profile image
    Charles

How is it that Bing is causing the crash? Sounds to me like an IE problem. Or does Google search not crash IE under the same scenario (try and print the web page with results)? Certainy, Bing results page has more CSS + JS, but if IE crashes (especially if it just goes away) then there's some sort of AV going on. Not sure Bing is to blame...

C

• User profile image
    MasterPi

pathfinder said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

hmmm, try it on a computer that doesn't have a default printer installed if you can.

I have not installed a printer, so the default is Microsoft XPS writer.

Win 7 RC btw.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Crashed for me (I sent the report). I didn't even get to Cancel the dialog. It happens on Print Preview too. It also happens with a copy of the page saved as an .mht "web archive" but not as a "complete" or "html only" .htm file.

IE7, XP SP3

I have a default printer.

Google doesn't have same problem.

Edit:

Also happens with add-ons disabled. With AV disabled. And with a different default printer.

Crash report says ModName is mshtml.dll so the problem is either in there or bad data is being passed into it.

• User profile image
    Charles

DCMonkey said:

Crashed for me (I sent the report). I didn't even get to Cancel the dialog. It happens on Print Preview too. It also happens with a copy of the page saved as an .mht "web archive" but not as a "complete" or "html only" .htm file.

IE7, XP SP3

I have a default printer.

Google doesn't have same problem.

Edit:

Also happens with add-ons disabled. With AV disabled. And with a different default printer.

Crash report says ModName is mshtml.dll so the problem is either in there or bad data is being passed into it.

Thanks for sending the error report! It's probably just an evil plot that's part of the new IE8 "marketing" campaign. I mean, obviously IE7 is not IE8, so... Get lost!

Smiley
    C

• User profile image
    spivonious

pathfinder said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

No repro here. I set my default to the XPS printer, since that's always there. Win 7 RC.

• User profile image
    Escamillo

I have two computers, both have the same default printer.  The first computer is XP/IE7, which reproduces the crash every time, and I sent the crash report (I don't need to cancel the Print dlg, the crash occurs as the Print dlg is coming up).  The second computer is Vista/IE8, which never produces the crash.

• User profile image
    pathfinder

spivonious said:
    pathfinder said:
    *snip*

No repro here. I set my default to the XPS printer, since that's always there. Win 7 RC.

I tested it again this morning and it still crashes.  Must only affect IE7 and Windows XP.   Unfortunately I get this on my work computer which I have no control over the environment. 

Any idea on when this will be fixed? In the meantime, I guess I will switch my homepage back to google search.

• User profile image
    Charles

pathfinder said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

I tested it again this morning and it still crashes.  Must only affect IE7 and Windows XP.   Unfortunately I get this on my work computer which I have no control over the environment. 

Any idea on when this will be fixed? In the meantime, I guess I will switch my homepage back to google search.

I've FW'd this to the IE team directly. I'd imagine they already have the data from the crash telemetry that will help pinpoint the bug. Thank you again for submitting the crash dump.

C

• User profile image
    Sabot

Charles said:
    pathfinder said:
    *snip*

I've FW'd this to the IE team directly. I'd imagine they already have the data from the crash telemetry that will help pinpoint the bug. Thank you again for submitting the crash dump.

C

Hmmm ... smells like a fault with a plugin taking out IE.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Sabot said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Hmmm ... smells like a fault with a plugin taking out IE.

Except it happens for me without any plugins loaded.

• User profile image
    Dodo

Charles said:
    pathfinder said:
    *snip*

C

It'll be a won't fix with the recommendation of installing IE8, optimized for Bing. Smiley

• User profile image
    omarabid

pathfinder said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

how come "without a default printer"?? if you have two printer and you delete the default one, the other will become default, so there's always a printer (may be I didn't understood)

Any way, this isn't really dangerous.. have you tried it on other sites other than Bing?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.