Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

So, did anyone here get a new iPhone?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

Well, did you? Did you already have one? Did you switch from another smartphone?

I picked up a 32GB 3GS. My contract was up on my AT&T 8525 (WM 5.X) and I'm tired of waiting for MS to put out a decent mobile OS UI. Maybe in another 2 years I'll take a look at WM7 (if it's out by then), but for now I can at least have a usable mobile browser, dialer keypad screen (black and white with full screen keys, what a concept!), and can navigate most everywhere in the OS (and type) with my thumb on one hand.

Even though I got the 32GB, I'm going to stick with my Zune for music for the time being. I like the subscription model, and the Zune lets me queue multiple albums. Having a separate battery for each device seems like a good idea as well.

I just have to keep them in separate pockets so they don't fight.

• User profile image
    KevinB

I am still using the original iPhone. I still think they are way too expensive, I bought mine second hand (it was as good as new Smiley ) and got a very cheap monthly contract here in the UK so I can cancel/upgrade whenever I want without being tied in.

I also use the Zune for music as I don't want to run the iPhone's battery down any faster than it already does Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

KevinB said:

I am still using the original iPhone. I still think they are way too expensive, I bought mine second hand (it was as good as new Smiley ) and got a very cheap monthly contract here in the UK so I can cancel/upgrade whenever I want without being tied in.

I also use the Zune for music as I don't want to run the iPhone's battery down any faster than it already does Smiley

Me too /*using the 3G one*/, the new iPhone looks good of course, hardware/software-wise, but the updates just don't deserve a complete phone upgrade, so unless something happens to my current one I wouldn't get a new one anytime soon

• User profile image
    rhm

Yeh, I have a 16Gb iPhone 3G that I bought on PAYG at Christmas because I was still on a contract with t-mobile for my old crappy HTC win mobile. That's up now though so I got a 3GS today on contract.  Keeping both as I'm doing development. Also got an iPod Touch.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

rhm said:

Yeh, I have a 16Gb iPhone 3G that I bought on PAYG at Christmas because I was still on a contract with t-mobile for my old crappy HTC win mobile. That's up now though so I got a 3GS today on contract.  Keeping both as I'm doing development. Also got an iPod Touch.

I got a 16Gb, but then I skipped the 3G altogether. Still carrying my Zune for the sweet subscription music.

And waiting for the Zune HD Smiley

• User profile image
    emalamisura

PaoloM said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

I got a 16Gb, but then I skipped the 3G altogether. Still carrying my Zune for the sweet subscription music.

Chucked my old one on Gazelle.com for 202 bucks, ordered a new one that is suppose to be here next week.  Woot!  I am siked!

• User profile image
    Dodo

PaoloM said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

You know what would be awesome? A Zune (HD) Phone with more battery life (at least twice) than the iPhone. Apple would get so mad. Smiley

• User profile image
    rhm

Dodo said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

You know what would be awesome? A Zune (HD) Phone with more battery life (at least twice) than the iPhone. Apple would get so mad. Smiley

Apple could make an iPhone with twice the battery life. It'd just be twice as big. This stuff isn't magic you know?

Already you can see the difference the battery makes if you compare the iPhone with the iPod Touch. The touch is waffer thin in comparison and while the iPhone has the cellphone and camera modules the iPod doesn't, most of the difference is the battery.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Dodo said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Microsoft needs to develop an OS to put on a phone before that can happen.

• User profile image
    littleguru

ManipUni said:
    Dodo said:
    *snip*

Microsoft needs to develop an OS to put on a phone before that can happen.

I would argue that they don't have one. The only thing that needs to be changed is the UI.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Got a 32GB one yesterday, gave my Blackberry Bold to the wife.  I really like it except I've been having trouble with the O2 data connection and calls going straight to voicemail for some strange reason, so it's been driving me mad.

I think it's because my account is in the process of switching from Blackberry to iPhone tariff (at least I hope so)

The main gain for me is not having to carry an iPod Touch and Blackberry around with me, now just one device plus there are so many more useful applications for the iPhone.

Obviously one downside is the lack of physical keyboard so writing emails and messages are a bit slower.

Question is what do I do with the Touch now!

• User profile image
    Jaz

iphone  > HTC Touch series?

• User profile image
    Frippe

Jaz said:

I am going to buy one it release in Sweden. Smiley

• User profile image
    rhm

Jaz said:

If you don't get an iPhone, get a G1 (which is made by HTC). Don't get any of their Windows Mobile phones. You will have no friends.

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

rhm said:
    Jaz said:
    *snip*

If you don't get an iPhone, get a G1 (which is made by HTC). Don't get any of their Windows Mobile phones. You will have no friends.

Is no one put off by the fact that the G1 is a hideous looking thing?

• User profile image
    rhm

leeappdalecom said:
    rhm said:
    *snip*

Is no one put off by the fact that the G1 is a hideous looking thing?

It is ugly and bulky it has to be said. Funny thing was the bloke I spoke to at t-mobile when I phoned up to get my PAC number was saying it was better looking when he was trying to get me to stay with them. Not a good strategy - esp. as I'd already told him I already bought the iPhone. I know they're reading from a script, but they should realise when they've lost the phone contract and at least try and sell me something else like second phone for a family member or mobile broadband or whatever. Anyway...

The G1 is ugly and bulky because it has a keyboard - same thing with the Pre as far as I can tell from the videos of it. I'm not sure how manufacturers go about desgining new phones, but the thinking seems to mirror the way people talk about them on forums. Someone will buy an iPhone and say something like "I love it, it's perfectly shaped, styled, weighted, the software is simple to use." and then people who don't have one pipe up with comments like: "but it doesn't have a physical keyboard, I *need* a keyboard" or "but you can only run one application at a time" or doesn't have any number of other minor features that ultimately don't matter that much.

So the designers of competing phones see all these things perceived by non-owners of iPhones as problems with the iPhone that will win them customers if they can make a phone that rectifies them. "I mean, surely the iPhone would be better if it had a keyboard? And what about not being able to run more than one app at a time - computers have been doing that for decades - Apple must be idtiots if they can't get that working! "  Of course, they all missed the point.

Most people don't need a keyboard most of the time and they certainly don't need a miniturised qwerty keybaord. HTC's many attempts at creating phones with concealed qwerty keyboards have convinced my that there's only one decent way to put a physical keyboard ona mobile phone and that's the way the backberry does it, but that's not attractive because then you have a smaller screen.

When you're designing a smart phone you have to get to pick two from:  Large touchscreen, Physical keyboard, Compactness. You can have any two, but not all three.

The reason I'd advise people to get a G1 despite the flaws in the phone hardware, is the operating system. The major benefit of buying an iPhone is the software available for it. No other platform even comes close. But at least Android has picked up some momentum. It's too far behind to ever catch the iPhone, but it's a clear second best at the moment. Blackberry has it's corporate niche and will survive there. Pre has no chance.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

From the people who were rich enough to run out and buy one, most are happy with their purchases. While they do complain about the standard stuff (Battery Life, Small Keypad, 3G version is better) they do use their phone a great deal and in a way they didn't before.

I know at least a couple of people who had an old multi-media phone with mobile internet access but who rarely used it. Partly that was down to the suckfest that was the browser and another part was down to the data rates. Now they're always online.

Want to get launch? I'll google places.
    Want to buy this game? Let's look at an online review.
    Want to know the weather? BAM internet.
    You get the idea. The iPhone for a lot of people who purchased it has become an entirely new mobile access experience. Forget the hype, and watch how people who own one use it.

Yes, mobile Internet isn't new. But you might say the iPhone is one of the first devices to bring it to the common man.

• User profile image
    BitFlipper

The OP describes me exactly, down to the Zune. I was really holding out for a good WiMo phone, but it seems there won't be any for quite some time. When I say this, I also mean that the "App Store" equivalent is going to be a joke until there is one good WiMo phone that gets enough market share to attract enough app developers. Or at least some good baseline so that developers know that their apps will work on a large range of devices. Having to deal with the least-common-denominator is a killer (in a bad way, not a good way) for a large range of good apps. I don't see a good non-iPhone app store, or at least any time soon. And yes, I know there are tons of WiMo apps, but seriously, those things are clunky by today's standard.

It is sad because I think people don't give WiMo credit where it is due. Remember that there was a time (before iPhone), when if you wanted a full-featured mobile phone that could do proper multitasking, and on which you could create rich applications, the only choice really was WiMo. Yes the UI was clunky but at the time the hardware was not powerful enough to do an iPhone-like UI.  Still, even back then it could have been better, so I am not saying it was perfect by any stretch of the imagination.  The big mistake MS made was to let the platform stagnate. There was a time when they had a lot of handset makers using it because it was cutting edge. Now MS lost that advantage. (Case in point: My pre-iPhone phone had turn-by-turn directions, with 3D perspective. Something that only became possible in the latest iPhone 3G S).

Anyway, I feel I can't hold out any longer (it doesn't help that my ancient phone is literally breaking up into smaller pieces). An iPhone purchase is an impulse buy for me. I just didn't plan to get one at all until the day it was released (and to be honest, I am still torn). Since I didn't get up at 4am on Friday to stand in line to get one, by the time I made my mind up they were all sold out. Strange that it would sell out so quick when they were expecting to sell such a large number throughout the weekend.

I refuse to buy an iPhone in an Apple store. For some reason I can't get myself to do that. If there is one thing I can't stand it is the arrogance that often go with the Apple faithful. At least at Best Buy I know the salesperson doesn't think they float a few feet off the ground.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.