Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Any hope for Freelancer 2?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    intelman

Microsoft Game studios, as seldom as it relases games, puts out great stuff. AOE, Flight Simulator, Midtown Madness....and my favorite and much overlooked Freelancer. Anyone else really enjoy this game? Curious if there are any rumors about a sequel in the works? Great PC game.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=freelancer&FORM=BILH

Oh check out the horrid website. http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/

• User profile image
    Sabot

Now you're talk!

I loved Freelancer, it was as good as it's main rival FreeSpace 2 (which you can download from GOG for $6!) ... which also loved just as much. They were two games I  played to completion over and over just so I could get everything out of them, I've only ever done that again with BioShock and CoD4 Modern Combat.

Space combat sims are few and far between these days which is a shame ... and amazing considering that this genre could have become popular again on the back of BSG.

Now I know we could all play the excellent X series of games by Egosoft or even Eve Online (which just had a SQL Server upgrade!) but both lacked the simple good story element of FreeLancer and the very cool weapons, these are two of most important elements of any Space Combat Sim.

I think there is space for a good Space Combat/Trading Sim again, just look to FreeLancer and FreeSpace to see how it's done!

P.S. FreeSpace 2 has a segment in it that I remember vividly because I experience geniune shock and fear, this is when the 'Juggernaut' appeared because the game all the way through gives you a sense of scale and perspective ... so when this massive SOB appears it is frightening! It is the ultimate end of level boss.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Oh yeah! I remember Freelancer. That was a great game. It had a nice way to control the ship. I hope Microsoft could create a v2 of it! I wonder who would be required to talk to to get more information about the future of Microsoft games...

• User profile image
    Koogle

Freespace2 and Freelancer.. great old games indeed

its a shame we haven't seen anything decent since, x-series I tried last year and tbh I dunno how many releases they've done but they just don't seem get it. And Eve Online I wouldn't ever touch (absolute grind), a waste of time a bit like WoW.. only they did it right and the addons made it all worthwhile.

I'd take mass effect and mash it up with freelancer for something awesome.

• User profile image
    intelman

Koogle said:

its a shame we haven't seen anything decent since, x-series I tried last year and tbh I dunno how many releases they've done but they just don't seem get it. And Eve Online I wouldn't ever touch (absolute grind), a waste of time a bit like WoW.. only they did it right and the addons made it all worthwhile.

Mass Effect + Space Sim would be a pretty epic game if it were done right. I think space is a pretty appealing genre for people. It is neat to travel to different star systems, and become amazed by discovering strange little things out there.

Freelancer had great ship control. They could expand upon making it slightly more co-op friendly. Aliance systems fleets. Hell, if they released the same game with a few tweaks with DirectX 10 or 11 support, that game would be beautiful.

I just hope we see something Sad Not sure who would take up Freelancer 2 if anyone. Did the origional freelancer do well at all? Digital Anvil is now defunct Sad

Besides if a Freelancer 2 were taken on, it would probably be a console port. That just wouldn't feel right.

• User profile image
    aL_

freelancer ruled Smiley the textures in the cities looked like crap though Tongue Out but when you go into excile and hang out on that ice planet.. good stuff Wink

did you know both George Takei and John Rhys-Davies did voices in freelancer? cool stuff

there is a game called Darkstar One http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DarkStar_One that is sort of similar to freelancer, but its not as good imo :/

• User profile image
    klop670

There is a big petition for the making of a Freelancer 2 online, check it out: http://www.petitiononline.com/FLPet/petition.html.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

klop670 said:

There is a big petition for the making of a Freelancer 2 online, check it out: http://www.petitiononline.com/FLPet/petition.html.

Because online petitions have ever elicitted a major corporation (who works for its shareholders, not its customers) since when...?

• User profile image
    Sabot

W3bbo said:
    klop670 said:
    *snip*

Because online petitions have ever elicitted a major corporation (who works for its shareholders, not its customers) since when...?

Petitions work!

Those 22,000 would most likely part with $40 for a new game, that's $880,000 ... and if that 22,000 was deemed to be representative of a cross section of the majority of the buying public so meaning the possibility of more sales then shareholders would want the opportunity fully investigated.

Lets be honest here .... it is a cert that Freelancer 2 is going to sell more copies than Afro Samuri or Bullet Witch but it has to appear large enough on MS's radar ... and for that to happen we are going to need 100,000 signatures.

• User profile image
    kettch

Koogle said:

I just heard about an MMO called Jumpgate Evolution the other day. They claim that the control system is based around Freelancer. It also apparently uses real time interactions instead of dice rolls. I don't know how they do proper balancing like that, but one of the videos claimed they have it figured out. I haven't played any MMO's in a long time, so this would have to be pretty spectacular to make me pay for it. I still might go with a Zune Pass instead.

I've replayed Independance War 2 several times because it's a solid space shooter, and loads of fun. The ending is anticlimactic, but the rest of the game is pretty good.

• User profile image
    androidi

intelman said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

Mass Effect + Space Sim would be a pretty epic game if it were done right. I think space is a pretty appealing genre for people. It is neat to travel to different star systems, and become amazed by discovering strange little things out there.

Freelancer had great ship control. They could expand upon making it slightly more co-op friendly. Aliance systems fleets. Hell, if they released the same game with a few tweaks with DirectX 10 or 11 support, that game would be beautiful.

I just hope we see something Sad Not sure who would take up Freelancer 2 if anyone. Did the origional freelancer do well at all? Digital Anvil is now defunct Sad

Besides if a Freelancer 2 were taken on, it would probably be a console port. That just wouldn't feel right.

Well you could always petition a new SC and mention taking cues from Mass Effect (eg replace the 2d conversations with 3d action adventure). http://sc2.sourceforge.net/petition/petition.php

• User profile image
    Cream​Filling512

Why don't we put our heads together and make a Channel9 space sim game?  This forum is supposedly full of developers.

• User profile image
    intelman

CreamFilling512 said:

Why don't we put our heads together and make a Channel9 space sim game?  This forum is supposedly full of developers.

You know, that would be sweet if people were really dedicated/talented.

Jumpgate Evolution does look neat though.

• User profile image
    Dodo

intelman said:
    CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

You know, that would be sweet if people were really dedicated/talented.

Jumpgate Evolution does look neat though.

Well, does anyone have a 3D people's scanner? It should look realistic with real Niners as characters. Big Smile

• User profile image
    ICQ6

They started FL2, but they stoped before finnishing. Sad

• User profile image
    funkd

i've been waiting for some kind of sequel to freelancer just like tons of others. never really put any real effort into trying to find a similar game until this morning. turns out there is at least one i found. looks pretty decent too.

x3: terran conflict

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x3tc/info_en.php

• User profile image
    comspec

i  want freelancer 2 Crying

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.