Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows 7: Media Play Bug: Repro?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CKurt

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody can repro a bug I have encountered in Windows 7? If you are watching a movie in Windows Media Player and it has finished playing (showing screen to review or go to library), then close it down and 'immediatly' doubleclick an other video file in windows explorer WMP takes a really long time to start and in the end shows a message "Server execution failed"

Any ideas ?

• User profile image
    Koogle

here is an idea... stop using a WMP its rubbish shhit! Smiley

• User profile image
    CKurt

Koogle said:

here is an idea... stop using a WMP its rubbish shhit! Smiley

I'm sorry, you should really stop using C9 to vent yourself... I like WMP and was just wondering about this bug.

• User profile image
    Koogle

hey if you want to use barely updated buggy noob rubbish that's fine, i'm sure it will continue to be that way anyway Smiley

• User profile image
    KevinB

Will test this on a Winodws 7 build later tonight. In the meantime, can you check if wmplayer.exe has actually dissappeared from Task Manager or Process Explorer. Maybe the process is still active and so receives the message, which it then doesn't know what to do with. Will check this myself later.

Koogle, what do you recommend instead of WMP?

• User profile image
    Koogle

I hear you're ignoring me KevinB... and now you want to hear what I would recommend- lol, the cheek.

• User profile image
    dahat

Very interesting... I can confirm... and just sent an email to an alias for investigation. Nice find.

• User profile image
    CKurt

dahat said:

Very interesting... I can confirm... and just sent an email to an alias for investigation. Nice find.

Thanks for the confirmation. I wasn't an official beta tester and didn't really know were to put the feedback so it does not get lost.

PS: It goes a bit to fast to check the task manager. It's strange and hard to repro now.

• User profile image
    CKurt

Koogle said:

I hear you're ignoring me KevinB... and now you want to hear what I would recommend- lol, the cheek.

I guess most of you're suggestions would then be projects/apps which are more frequently updated then WMP. (Okay I can get that). Next i suppose most of those suggestion (which you don't want to share) are open source of community based application.

Then i suppose a "community driven" app must mean there are some people who past bugs, write reviews and so on to make the product better. What I was doing with this thread was exactly the same, providing feedback for an application.

(of course it's just a lot of 'suppose' i might be wrong here about your suggestions)

• User profile image
    Larry Osterman

dahat said:

I don't know what's going on in your case, but in general the "server execution failed" errors happen when you launch a new instance of WMP before the previous instance has exited.  Just because the UI isn't shown doesn't mean that the process has fully executed, and because of the way that WMP launches new instances (which is unchanged since Win9x days) if a new instance comes up while a previous instance is exiting this can happen.

It doesn't help you but it's a bit more information

• User profile image
    intelman

Larry Osterman said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*

I don't know what's going on in your case, but in general the "server execution failed" errors happen when you launch a new instance of WMP before the previous instance has exited.  Just because the UI isn't shown doesn't mean that the process has fully executed, and because of the way that WMP launches new instances (which is unchanged since Win9x days) if a new instance comes up while a previous instance is exiting this can happen.

Kind of a bad user experience if the process does not shut down when the user thinks the program is shut down. I have seen this happen with many processes. Firefox especially suffers.

Hopefull this issue gets fixed Wink I love WMP.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Koogle said:

I'd like to know your recommendation as well. I use Media Player Classic and occasionally VLC for playing videos, but for playing music I haven't found anything better than WMP.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

intelman said:
    Larry Osterman said:
    *snip*

Kind of a bad user experience if the process does not shut down when the user thinks the program is shut down. I have seen this happen with many processes. Firefox especially suffers.

Hopefull this issue gets fixed Wink I love WMP.

Firefox (especially 3 and later; although 3.5 is a little better) is just about the worst application I've ever seen on the "UI gone but the program's not quite done yet" front.

Don't get me wrong; I love Firefox, but they need to spend some serious time working on shutdown performance.  It can't possibly take that long to sync the history database (and if they're waiting to write the whole session at once, what happens if the browser crashes?).

• User profile image
    blowdart

CannotResolveSymbol said:
    intelman said:
    *snip*

Firefox (especially 3 and later; although 3.5 is a little better) is just about the worst application I've ever seen on the "UI gone but the program's not quite done yet" front.

Don't get me wrong; I love Firefox, but they need to spend some serious time working on shutdown performance.  It can't possibly take that long to sync the history database (and if they're waiting to write the whole session at once, what happens if the browser crashes?).

Hah, you want bad shutdown performance? Outlook 2007 SP1. It hangs around forever, and this is a "feature" added with SP1.

• User profile image
    CKurt

Larry Osterman said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*

Thx for the information. I'll have to check my task manager

• User profile image
    KevinB

Sven Groot said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

I'd like to know your recommendation as well. I use Media Player Classic and occasionally VLC for playing videos, but for playing music I haven't found anything better than WMP.

I'm the other way around I'm afriad Sven, I use WMP for video, or VLC in the rare case that FFDShow-Tryouts can't play back a particular file, and WinAmp for audio. I just haven't found any other player that has as good a library feature as Winamp

• User profile image
    Dodo

You closed the application. Whilst the application is closing you launch a new instance that sees there is already a running task of the single instance application. Thus it tries to pass the file to the running application that is exiting. The application exits and Explorer doesn't get told about the file being correctly opened. You're just too fast or your PC too slow. In my experience that'll be a won't fix. Smiley

• User profile image
    androidi

Sven Groot said:
    Koogle said:
    *snip*

Have you found a solution that works for ogg based radios in WMP? Such as the retro game music streams of http://www.kohina.com/ .. They used to offer mp3 but no more.

I'm aware that oggdsf codec used to work for streaming purposes in XP but after some changes made in Vista it no longer works atleast in my experience.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.